CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

What GPS unit should I use?

So, after playing a few rounds with dan this year (only person I play with who uses GPS) I've decded to purchase I unit. Please tell me everything I need to know about getting myself set up for this. I'm under the impression that I do not need to pay monthly fees for GPS. All I need is the software, the course data file (or map it out myself). It doesn't have to be fancy at all but obviously the nicer the better. Now, are there different softwares I can use for this? I dont' want to have to map out all the courses I play in ottawa so I would like a unit or software that allows me to just download a file from dan for manderely and I'm ready to go. IS there a site has all the ottawa courses mapped where uses share info on different courses? I'd like to keep it under $500, thanks people

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    http://www.gpscity.ca/compare-garmin-ique-gps-pda.htm mine is the 3600 - not made anymore.

Aux battery power needed for 5 hrs GPS life. Built in battery is only good for 9 holes. Once the power issue was resolved I love the unit. The main thing there is that the iQue is a PDA not a golf specific GPS so the installed battery is not really meant to be used for so long without charge.

Be sure to get the car mount kit. Never get lost again anywhere in North America.

http://www.intelligolf.ca $49

"Richard"
    thanks dan. I forgot to mention that I always walk (unless I play with you) and don't need a mount so need soemthing I can carry in my pocket or my bag or even mount on my bag. Is this possible? nothing to bulky

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Garmin makes the best GPS units, i got one for my car, it puts all the others (maggelin, tomtom) to shame. their handheld units must be amaizing. lemmy know how u like it, if u get one the Garmin from the first link Dan sent you...

or they have the GPS adapters for the Compaq IPAQ pochet PC, the unit itself i dont know how much sells for now, but i sold mine last year for $300, you can prolly pick one up for $225, and the GPS adapter is wither $155 for the one with 256 memory, and $225 for the highest end one with 1GB of memory. had one of those units without the GPS, its a good toy, even has built in wi-fi... anyways, thats all i got to tell you, just bored in class listening to an economics lecture

"Richard"
    economics lecture? Dude I could teach you that stuff in my sleep Anyway, I wouldn't mind getting someting that has GPS, wi-fi (does that mean I can steal other peoples internet?) Heck, if I can get something that is a GPS unit that can be used for maping golf courses, something I can use as a phone... I'll pay upto a grand for that!

yeah i thought i knew this economics stuff, i got an A in college and A- in highschool in this course, but this guy teachs it completely differnetly and wants everything done his way, damn elasticity of demand and average cost / productivity, failed his midterm... its redic man. anyways, i have wifi on my Nokia E61 smartphone and its great i surf the net sitting on my couch wihtout having my laptop open and sittin heavy on my lap. i dont know about mapping a course on the IPAQ i never tried, never had the GPS attachment. next time your in best buy or something ask a guy if u can map a golfcourse with the gps attachment... or type into google IPAQ GPS and see what you get...

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I went the cheapest route possible and used a Palm m505, gps adapter and Intelligolf software. Came to about $150 in total. Now mind you I only use it for golf.

For an all in one, I'd suggest an HP 6515(I think) as it has gps built in, Rogers gsm phone, pda etc. Or a Palm gsm phone, with gps adapter.

Didn't you have a thread talking about this a while ago...

"Richard"
    yeah but I couldn't find it, I think dan deleted it because donny posted a naked picture of himself in it...

http://www.gpsindustries.com/solutio...page=gpsplayer

get a kick outta this... i know what i want for my birthday. haha

That is a system for courses, like a handheld version of what they have at the Marshes. That's an orange to Garmin's Granny Smith's. (sorry I just couldn't call a Garmin unit an Apple)

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Didn't you have a good rangefinder Richard? Did you find the GPS a lot more useful?

"Richard"
    yeah I did but it had slope os my friends *ed about it. Plus dan is undefeated in 3 matches against me and the only difference is that he has a GPS unit and I don't... so I must have one (kidding dan).

"Richard"
    so wait, what do i need to do to make the battery last me 18 holes and not just nine???

I have both. GPS blows the RF away. I do use the RF when I am at an unsurveyed course.

There is no "Map" in Intelligolf. It does give distance from where you are to 9 points per hole. Front, middle & back of the green. 100, 150 & 200 yrd markers (great for lay ups) and 3 points you define. My survey of the 3 nines at Manderley is available at the Inteligolf site. It seems you have to post there to share, but courses are free to download, and no annual fee.

"Richard"
    Dan, are there other ottawa courses on their website??? Or just manderely??

What do you guys think of this baby???

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...99&catid=10220

I can get it for $200 on ebay

You need an auxiliiary battery 1500 - 2400 mah. The built in bat in an iQue 3600 is about 900 mah, so you'd want a total of 2500 - 3500 mah for an iQue 3600
    I use LiPo's from my RC heli, but they ain't cheep. I use them 'cause I have them and that makes them cheep. Look for a GPS handheld with 5 hours battery life in GPS tracking mode, or auxilliary batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    so wait, what do i need to do to make the battery last me 18 holes and not just nine???

Dan, are there other ottawa courses on their website??? Or just manderely??
    Not a lot. Heritage, and the Club Link courses. We needmore surveyors. Tons of courses in the states.

What do you guys think of this baby???

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...99&catid=10220

I can get it for $200 on ebay
    GPS? I guess you get a separate GPS Blue tooth unit?

"Richard"
    Oh its not built in??? crap

Garmin units come with excellent mapping software for Highway navigation. Keep that in mind too.

GPS is not something you can assume in a handheld. Look for a Garmin GPS unit that has the palm features you want and you'll be happy!

"Richard"
    dan I want something sexy and that looks $$ so the girls know I'm rich and will be to... but seriously I did a search forGPS PDA and this thing showed up

"Richard"
    hmmm, just realized you have to buy the gps car thing for this to work. Makes it pointless. I need something that is a palm type device, big screen and has wifi

Girls read specs and would know there is no gps in that unit. They would laugh at you and make you buy them drinks 'cause they know you can't even read.

Gawd will get me for that.

"Richard"
    haha, my bad... should take it from a pro like you. Don't worry I never told carol about you and the cart girl... dan has game!

Sand Wedge pir2 is on a distinguished road
    I have Intelligolf! Great little piece of software. If you don't want to survey during a round, a nice way to do it is to download Google Earth, and map your courses that way.

how many girls do you honestly give your number to on the golf course depe? lol... dont need the bling on the golfcourse, cuz it aint gonna help your game get some honma clubs, then you might have a chance without buying gadgets.... or a pimped out golf cart

"Richard"
    Don't need it on the golfcourse... I'll need it at the club. I'll pull my GPS handheld out in the club, she will say "that is a cool phone" I'll say "yeah, it gets the job done" Then I'll tell her its a camera, take a pretend picture of her and her friends, then I will tell her it records video and point it at her, then I will tell her to give me her email address and I'll email them to her tomorrow. I'll enter her number into the PDA and then I will use my mouth to make a ringing sound, put the non-phone PDA to my ear and say "He only wants 2 mil for it??? Buy two if you can, always good to have an extra helicopter around, or should be just make a seperate launding pad on the roof, there is more than enough room for another one, it is after all the biggest house in ottawa... I can't beleive mathews and copland are still trying to buy it from me"

I tried that (I did the Meadows that way) The readings were 10 - 30 yards off, and not always in the same direction. Have you surveyed courses reliably with that method? Have you done any surveys and are they available at the Intelligolf site?

Quote Originally Posted by pir2 View Post
    I have Intelligolf! Great little piece of software. If you don't want to survey during a round, a nice way to do it is to download Google Earth, and map your courses that way.

Don't need it on the golfcourse... I'll need it at the club. I'll pull my GPS handheld out in the club, she will say "that is a cool phone" I'll say "yeah, it gets the job done" Then I'll tell her its a camera, take a pretend picture of her and her friends, then I will tell her it records video and point it at her, then I will tell her to give me her email address and I'll email them to her tomorrow. I'll enter her number into the PDA and then I will use my mouth to make a ringing sound, put the non-phone PDA to my ear and say "He only wants 2 mil for it??? Buy two if you can, always good to have an extra helicopter around, or should be just make a seperate launding pad on the roof, there is more than enough room for another one, it is after all the biggest house in ottawa... I can't beleive mathews and copland are still trying to buy it from me"

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information