100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

"New" NHL CBA Tanks Sens

Well, after yet another loss, I am starting to feel the Sens are simply not that good anymore. I know Gerber has been brutal, but still - the Sens simply cannot win the battles. And with the salary cap they are kind of screwed. They'll never be able to offload Gerber, so who are they going to go out and get (even if you go with Emery)?

The ironic thing is, the new CBA which is meant to protect the owners from themselves has really damaged the one team that was actually responsible beforehand (the Sens). What have we got to show for years of great draft picks and development? Ottawa had almost no choice to let Hossa, Havlat, and Chara go because of the new ridiculous lower free agency age. So now you have the third youngest team in the league that in reality is like a team in rebuilding - no playoffs this year folks!

Hopefully I am wrong and this is just a brutal slump and they will snap out of it. Edmonton was similar last year until they got Roloson and look what they did in the playoffs. But I just don't know...
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I don't think the CBA is to blame. They are just lacking desire right now. They are still a very good team. Just not working hard enough. And as for the decisions made, just goes to show how important those players were to this team. But I personally would've kept Chara over Redden, I have yet to see Redden dominate and control a game. I have seen Chara do it on a few occasions, especially in his own end. And yes, Gerber's play is not helping any.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    you can't blame the CBA for the whole team playing like crap.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Is Chara worth $7.5m? They offered Chara $6m and he never countered. Was Hossa worth $6m? Havlat? I agree that keeping Redden instead of Chara and signing Gerber is not looking too good at the moment, but where do you draw the line? My point is these guys get to walk away too early with the new CBA. Just as a player starts to hit his prime, you either have to give him tons of $ or let him walk leaving you empty handed. I just find it ironic that the team once considered the poster child of fiscal responsibility is seemingly getting punished by a CBA that was meant to make the other teams more like them.

Even though the team is playing poorly, I just don't think they are that good anymore. It's as if this group's window of opportunity has passed. If the effort is not there (and I agree at times they look stoned), what do you do to fix that? New coach, big trade, benchings, call ups/send downs? We are getting deep enough into the season that it might be time to make some serious decisions. But hopefully I am wrong, will right the ship in time, and I can look back at my ramblings in February and laugh at myself.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    The new CBA isnt to blame at all. Every team in the league has had to lose a few big guys to make cap space and the sens are no exception. That said, the role of the GM became more important and Muckler isnt doing it very well under the new CBA. The sens could have let a few diferent guys go to make room for a $7.5 million player like a Havlet, Chara and many other big name free agents that came up in the off season, but decided to let them pass and lose alot of talent instead. The teams that are doing well are the teams that took a chance and signed a few big contracts to solidify a scoring line or a better defence or better goltending. The sens need to make a change but its not on the ice its in the booth where the decisions are being made. Look at san jose or atlanta or buffalo. all had to make changes and spend some money but are top in the league right now.

Of course next year is a diffenent story as these teams will lose most of there big guns to make room for younger cheaper talent for the future. The sens didnt lose anything in the new CBA that every other team didnt lose as well. It realy is a weak excuse.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I agree the CBA has nothing to do with it. The team has no confidence and you can`t get that when your starting goalie is junk. Why they didn`t go after Luongo agressively is beyond me. Gerber seems like he can`t see the puck and always seems to lose where the puck is after it hits him, get the guy an eye exam because he`s blind! Having chessy goals go in when you fighting to get back into a game or working your ass off to get the win, just criples a team. They should put him on waviers and then down to the minors and take there losses. A trade for any D with some toughness and knowledge of defensive zone coverage would be nice as well. Hard to admit it but where this years Leafs, if we make the playoffs I`ll be shocked.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    Ottawa had almost no choice to let Hossa, Havlat, and Chara go because of the new ridiculous lower free agency age.
    Agreed, but the new rules for UFA are going to hurt many teams, not just Ottawa. The Sens did get hit hard this year no doubt, but Pittsburgh is going to be looking at young UFA's in Crosby, Malkin, and Staal in a few years and it'll be the same situation for many teams. Having a shrewd and savvy GM is vital with the new CBA and Ottawa doesn't have that.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

we should also be clear that hossa and havlat were trades. Yes, they did have to trade them to avoid losing them, but they could have gotten a better deal for Havlat than they did. That was not the CBA's fault, it was Muckler's. The deal for Heatley has worked out well. I"m not saying Hossa isn't a great player, but Heatley is too, so that isn't a great example.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Agreed, but the new rules for UFA are going to hurt many teams, not just Ottawa. The Sens did get hit hard this year no doubt, but Pittsburgh is going to be looking at young UFA's in Crosby, Malkin, and Staal in a few years and it'll be the same situation for many teams. Having a shrewd and savvy GM is vital with the new CBA and Ottawa doesn't have that.
    I wonder how long the existing GM will last? I say until the end of this week! Sooner or later someone in the Sens white collar scene is going to be hitting the highway. Coach or GM, someone has to go.
    How long do you allow a team with the talent they have to continue to lose games in the manner they are? You can almost bet Murray will be toast in a matter of weeks if this continues.

Hey, cheer up. Patt Quinn is available Once that knee gets healed up that he had operated on then he is good to go! Heck he could come in and be GM/HEADCOACH, just like the old days in Leaf Land (Remember, when they were not Stanley Cup contenders either )

PS Send Alfie to San Jose, we can turn him into a goal scorer there! We'll take Redden too.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    PS Send Alfie to San Jose, we can turn him into a goal scorer there! We'll take Redden too.
    Give us Thornton and Nabokov and you can have both...we'll even throw in Gerber.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    The CBA is not to blame for the sens losing. Alfie must go. They should have freed up that room and kept Chara. Every sens game I watch it is VERY noticible they need better D-men to clear the front of the net and create a more physical presence in their zone. They aren't laking in goal scoring so I wouldn't say losing Havlat is a big deal at all. How many games have they had the lead only to blow it? The problem in Ottawa is the blue line and this is the fault of managment not keeping the right players. Every team has to abide by the same CBA.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Letting Chara walk was the best thing......the new rules don't let him use his size and strength like it did in years gone by. The NHL has turned into a no-contact beer league full of hot-doggers who are allowed to run amock because you can't lift a finger to hit them. It really is pathetic - like that hit a few games ago that Philipps threw where he got the double minor (1 for obstruction, the other for unsportsmanship for arguing with the idiot with the stripes).

As for the Sens woes, IMO it is all Muckler. Look at all of his failed experiments (Hasek, Arnason, etc. etc.) the lads that have left under his watch (Hossa, Havlat, Chara, Salo, Pothier etc. etc.) and the young prospects that he basically gave away (Tim Gleason, Jakup Klepis, Brandon Boshenski etc. etc.) I'm afraid that the game has past Mucks by and he has now become the New Mike Milbury of the league - GMS are lining up to rob Muckler, and the Sens, Blind.

Mucks needs to go!! Promote Murray to GM and hit a Fire and Brimstone kinda coach for a change - if the pretty boys don't like it then they can GTF out too. I've had enough of this crap.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

1. Letting Chara walk was the best thing

2. arguing with the idiot with the stripes

3. IMO it is all Muckler. Mucks needs to go!!

4. Promote Murray to GM

5. a Fire and Brimstone kinda coach for a change - if the pretty boys don't like it then they can GTF out too.

6. I've had enough of this crap.
    1. Disagree, I would rather have seen pretty boy Redden go....
    2. ok, but tell us how do you really feel about these boys
    3. AGREE!! three stars!
    4. Agree! but only one star cause it was a no brainer!
    5. Agree! yup, only one star again
    6. Could have fooled me
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    1. Disagree, I would rather have seen pretty boy Redden go....
    2. ok, but tell us how do you really feel about these boys
    3. AGREE!! three stars!
    4. Agree! but only one star cause it was a no brainer!
    5. Agree! yup, only one star again
    6. Could have fooled me
    Your paraphrasing me now?? Don't you love me any more???

But we agreed on 5 of 6 points Whatever is the world coming to

Your paraphrasing me now?? Don't you love me any more???

But we agreed on 5 of 6 points Whatever is the world coming to
    Sorry to break the news to ya Hack, but it was lust, not love

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Sorry to break the news to ya Hack, but it was lust, not love
    You ***!!!

You ***!!!
    Umm, I believe you forgot these

I'd never mess with a man's computer - that's just WRONG!!

.....nailing to the cross though, that has potential

.......Nah - I'll save that for Bugsy, I've heard she is looking forward to receiving a 14 carrot diamond ring complete with matching ear rings and pendant - Good luck with that

I'd never mess with a man's computer - that's just WRONG!!

.....nailing to the cross though, that has potential

.......Nah - I'll save that for Bugsy, I've heard she is looking forward to receiving a 14 carrot diamond ring complete with matching ear rings and pendant - Good luck with that
    Once again thanks for your usual support good old buddy

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Give us Thornton and Nabokov and you can have both...we'll even throw in Gerber.

Let me think this deal over for awhile, I will get back to you.

Hello Ottawa, thought the deal over.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NO DEAL
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

fine...your loss

Thread Information