CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is more better?

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

Is more better?

Do you score better the more you play?
    Personally I find that the "little things " work well the more I play.
    But... if I'm struggling with a part of my game it seems that playing more just makes it worse.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clankoffdatee View Post
    But... if I'm struggling with a part of my game it seems that playing more just makes it worse.
    Interestingly enough, this year is the first time I have played less than 20 games and the 10 or so games I did play the first game of the year was 79 and 2 other games I played with a 3 week layoff in between were 77 and 76.... It was awesome golf for me (an 11 handicap) I wonder how it would have been with my usual 100 plus rounds?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Definitely.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    No.

To improve, IMO, one needs to practice and while one can make adjustments on the course, improving your skill level requires range time.

I play 3.5 rounds of golf a week, but I hit balls every day, either on the range at the club, or at home in my net where I make good use of my video camera. This practice allows me to maintain or improve so that when I play, I seldom have a slump, just the natural variations in score that come from making or not making putts.

Playing every second day or so, makes me very keen on getting out, but playing every day leads to mental staleness. Last week I played 6 days in a row and actually looked forward to a couple of days off. Well, one anyway.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    ... a story that only a retired guy can post ....
    See how good you get only playing once a week with two lunchtime practice sessions during the week at best.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    The more you play --the better you play--but not every day in a row. We do not have the physical capabilities (the older guys here) nor do we have the mental attitude to do it every day and enjoy it. The game is great but you can get tired of a good thing and when you tire you start to make more mistakes. I have found that if you have a day between rounds you are fresher and you tend to remember more of what you are supposed to do. This is a great game but it is also one of the hardest to learn---there are just too many variables-------------------the biggest being the one between your ears!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    Personally I believe in order to improve an individual needs to get an accurate assessment of their game from a professional, identify their weaknesses and formulate a plan that works for them and stick to it. Practicing and/or pounding balls endlessly at the range does not assure success.Nor does getting out on the course everyday.Quality is the key.

I play 3x a week and practice at least twice a week. I run"streaks"on a regular basis. These"streaks" come and go. Some are good "streaks" and some are" bad streaks".For example my driver will be real hot for 5-6 rounds and maybe my putting feel is off. Two weeks later the opposite.Some players are like that. I've tried to work thru them by playing more but that only seems to sour the enjoyment. I've learned to use my practice time to maintain a repeatable consistency and work on the aspects that are not on. I've also learned not to perfect my swing on the course. If I'm fadin' it that day then so be it.

For me, playing more makes the "feel" aspects of the game(ie. putting,chipping,pitching) more sharp.

Thread Information