100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Morningstar...too long...too strong!

In the summer of 2005 I played no golf whatsoever. This past summer I played a total of 36 holes, two 9 hole rounds in Calgary, and one 18 hole round at Morningstar in Parksville, British Columbia.`

Morningstar has been the site of three CPGA events, as well as six years on the Canadian Tour Qualifying School circuit. My two partners insisted on playing from the gold tees: 7018 yards rated at 74.6 with a slope of 138. I played with a rental set of Callaway x-18's.

This course winds its way through a beautiful evergreen forest. We encountered live deer. We also encountered water hazards, fairway moundings, bunkers, and numerous forced carries over hazards, my personal bugaboo.

The highlights of my round including reaching a 388 yard par 4 in two, with a driver and a 6-iron. I also parred 3 of the 4 par threes, hitting a 5-wood off the tee each time!

It was a memorable experience, the scenery was incredibly beautiful. The course was brutal, way over my head. I am glad to have experienced what great golfers enjoy. But once was definitely enough! I shot a smooth 54-54=108. Next year I am going to play the white tees, rated at 68.4 with a slope of 124.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It's fun to play where the pros play every now and then. Gives you a real perspective on how far they hit it.

Also worth noting is that 7018 yards is a "short" course for the pros these days.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    You wanna talk long. I played a 7400 yarder the day after I broke my driver. 3-wood was the biggest stick I had.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Dude, 108 is pretty dang good from the golds. You really have to look for some of those teeboxes, that's how far back they are. I usually play the blues there & it's plenty of course from there.

The course has some wicked doglegs that set you up for some ugly scores if you don't play them right.

Thread Information