CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: driver question

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

driver question

Hi, just a quick question. I am on the market to buy a new driver and don't know which one to get. I just tried the new Taylor Made 540,9.5,stiff. I liked it but I want to make sure that it's the right one for me cause I don't want to spend my hard earned money on something that's going to look good in my bag. I bought a new one last year and it is collecting dust in my bag as I am using my 3 wood because I can't hit my driver. Any suggestions on which one to try out and is there a place in Ottawa where I can try different drivers out on the range with a pro giving me advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    The Chuck Brown's outlet in Orleans is located next to a driving range, so you can demo clubs there. In the west end, I believe Kevin Haime Golf Centre has a Tommy & Lefebvre outlet in it.

Also, I know that Chuck Brown's and Missing Links will let you sign out clubs and demo them on the course, and believe most other golf stores have a similar policy.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Lightbulb Test drivers

I agree, nothing worst then an expensive driver sitting in your bag. What good is it?...Alot of wasted $$$ so someone can say.."Nice Headcover!"

I have a number of test drivers that you can take for a test drive.

Unfortunately I will only be back in town on the second week of April.

I sell a number of great drivers. The heart of the driver is the shaft.

BANG components are their own design and are used by many long drivers who rely on their driver to keep it in a 40 yard wide grid.

Check out my web page.

Steve

8 Iron RobC is on a distinguished road
    At the risk of insulting you, do you know at all why you can't hit the driver you currently own? I'd find out the answer to that before making another purchase. If you're slicing or pulling you could have any one of a number of problems - blocking hand rotation, outside/in swing path, coming over the top, etc. If you understand your swing and just haven't found the right equipment, then you need to do some comparing. I agree with the recommendation to try out different clubs at the Chuck Browns range in Orleans. Chucks will give 10 or 12 balls to hit but if you want to hit more just buy a bucket from the range (separate business) after you've signed the club out. I find Titliest's Website the most honest with regard to describing the effects of their equipment, and all major shaft makers have a Website that'll tell you about their products. Golfworks doesn't sell brand name drivers, but does install all brand name shafts. Once you have a driver head you like the look and feel of, getting the right shaft is essential. I tried three new shafts last year and learned a lot from comparing the differences, and am now able to settle on one that suits me. If you can compare free of charge at Chucks or Haime's, that's the way to go.

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    I know that my hand are getting ahead of the club which creates a left to right flight path. I know what to do to get rid of that. The driver I bought last summer was a TM firesole so I get half decent distance out of it but with the new technology in drivers I know that I can get better distance as I tried the new TM 540,9.5, stiff shaft and was getting great distance with it but still the same left to right flight path which a couple of lessons should cure.
    thanks for asking

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Be careful not to be mistaken by all the marketing put in place by OEM. Once a driver has reach the maximum C.O.R. allowed by the USGA rules, it is in my view impossible to pretend that a driver is longer than another one. In my view, the biggest change so far on the PGA tour isn't the Titleist 983K but rather the ProV1x. Most of the guys on the Tour have increased their distance by using this type of balls and not by changing drivers.

You will also notice that most of them do not use the original (normally crappy) shaft. They all have custom shafts that will suit their parameters (swing speed, swing path, desired trajectory, ...). Therefore, hitting longer is a combination of balls, shafts and more importantly, confidence. The only thing that a bigger head will give is sometime more forgiveness and more confidence.

8 Iron RobC is on a distinguished road
    Agree on the assertions that ball and shaft make a big difference, but people will also tell you that you should like the "optics" of the clubs you buy to aid confidence when swinging them.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the sound a driver makes when striking a ball. Obviously this will differ among clubs and is also a consideration when buying. Try the new King Cobras and contrast that with something more conventional like Titliest and you'll see what I mean. Some pros say they just can't use a club that doesn't appeal to both eye and ear. Good luck.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I agree with you RobC but it is not the driver that will make you longer. It is rather the impression and if you feel comfortable with this stick. Sometimes also, when you are trying a new clubs you always feel that you hit the ball longer but try it in a real game situation before making any choices...
    Last edited by big easy; 03-26-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Thread Information