100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Thanks to the posters for the informative posts. From them I have concluded that I should shorten my driver shaft. Now I must decide how much. I assume that the one inch to 1.3 yards in lost distance is not a linear equation. Where do I stop short of a Croquette mallett with a 85mph swing.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Do you know if the flex of the shafts were taken into account during this study? Because if the shafts were only butt trimmed then the flex (frequency) would increase which in my opinion would make the shaft more predictable hence greater accuracy.
    No, I do not.

Would you agree that the shorter length makes the shaft more accurate, versus the greater frequency? My experience as an 18 year hobbyist clubmaker and full time golfer shows that frequency (butt) has little perceptible affect on both distance and accuracy, but does affect feel. The tip section frequency affects trajectory. IMO, too much attention is given to the importance of the shaft and too little to swinging the club correctly.

Pitching Wedge sammypvt is on a distinguished road sammypvt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo View Post
    Thanks to the posters for the informative posts. From them I have concluded that I should shorten my driver shaft. Now I must decide how much. I assume that the one inch to 1.2 yards in lost distance is not a linear equation. Where do I stop short of a Croquette mallett with a 85mph swing.
    If your unhappy with the length, here is the best way to deal with it. Go on the range with decal tape or if you dont have it, dry wipes. Hold the club at the full length, hit it 10 times and notice where the grouping is on the decal or if you dont have decal, wipe the face clean after everyshot, the next hit will leave a visible imprint.
    Move down the club half an inch at a time till you get significant center hits and no more than 5 yds distance loss, whichever comes first. You will then be able record your head speed and it is my guess that from 45 inch, you can get to 43.5 with very little loss, probably 3 to 4 mph.
    Come back to the shop, whip the grip off cut the shaft to length and put some lead tape under the grip to get the swing weight back. You wont be disappointed and will hit more fairways. Butt trimming wont alter the frequency all that much, trust me and the dynamic properties of the shaft will not be compromised all that significantly.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Sammypvt, I will try this. How do I record my head speed?

Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo View Post
    Sammypvt, I will try this. How do I record my head speed?
    Try a head speed meter. I agree with BC Mists post by the way. The high teckies get freeked out with numbers, I am a 35 year pro and a 30 year clubbuilder with a very big setup in Mexico www.pvgolfacademy.com I still fit by feel and eye most days. Let the search for the holy grail to those that have the time to do it. Good luck and if you need any more help, fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by sammypvt View Post
    Come back to the shop, whip the grip off cut the shaft to length and put some lead tape under the grip to get the swing weight back.
    If the SW at 45" is say, D2, and you shorten the shaft, the SW goes down (becomes "lighter"). By adding lead tape to the grip, it will become even lighter. Would you not add lead tape to the back of the club head to return it to what it was before shortening?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    If the SW at 45" is say, D2, and you shorten the shaft, the SW goes down (becomes "lighter"). By adding lead tape to the grip, it will become even lighter. Would you not add lead tape to the back of the club head to return it to what it was before shortening?
    Your quite right there young man, everyone is allowed one brain fart per day.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Back at it.

At 61, not too many call me a "young" man, but I appreciate the gesture. I certainly feel young but that is contradicted every time I look in the mirror.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Try a head speed meter. I agree with BC Mists post by the way. The high teckies get freeked out with numbers, I am a 35 year pro and a 30 year clubbuilder with a very big setup in Mexico www.pvgolfacademy.com I still fit by feel and eye most days. Let the search for the holy grail to those that have the time to do it. Good luck and if you need any more help, fire away.
    Hey Sammy, a bit off topic here, but I really liked that video piece. I've spent a fair amount of time in Mexico and I can't wait to go back. If I'm ever around PV I'll make sure I look you up. Best of luck!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information