100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flex point

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Flex point

Just for you Lyle. From the True Temper website:

What is a high bend point (or flex point) and when would I want a high bend point instead of a low bend point?
    A high bend point shaft (Dynamic family) has a firmer tip feel at impact and may produce a lower shot trajectory. A low bend point shaft (Dynalite, Release, Rocket) has a softer tip feel at impact and may produce a higher shot trajectory. Mid bend point shafts (TT Lite, Gold Plus) are in-between. The actual point on the shaft where the bend point is located is only a couple inches difference between a low and high bend point. Bend point, kick point, and flex point all mean the same thing.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Pitching Wedge sammypvt is on a distinguished road sammypvt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

What is a high bend point (or flex point) and when would I want a high bend point instead of a low bend point?
    A high bend point shaft (Dynamic family) has a firmer tip feel at impact and may produce a lower shot trajectory. A low bend point shaft (Dynalite, Release, Rocket) has a softer tip feel at impact and may produce a higher shot trajectory. Mid bend point shafts (TT Lite, Gold Plus) are in-between. The actual point on the shaft where the bend point is located is only a couple inches difference between a low and high bend point. Bend point, kick point, and flex point all mean the same thing.
    If you take out KICK POINT, BEND POINT AND FLEX of the shaft and simply insert THE WEAKEST POINT OF THE SHAFT you would be right.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    What are the method(s) used to measure bend/kick/flex point of a shaft?
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    What are the method(s) used to measure bend/kick/flex point of a shaft?
    Deflection board or a home meade bench deflector ruler

Or a NF2 -NF4
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by sammypvt View Post
    Deflection board or a home meade bench deflector ruler
    I know what a deflection board is and this makes sense.

What is a "home made bench deflector ruler"? Any pics out there in cyber space?

Or a NF2 -NF4
    Google didn't help me with "NF2 or NF4"? Any pics or a manufacturer's site?

The reason I ask is that I think a club maker could determine the bend/kick point using a frequency analyzer (like a Club Scout IV). Do you know if this is done?

Charles
    Back at it.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    I know what a deflection board is and this makes sense.

What is a "home made bench deflector ruler"? Any pics out there in cyber space?

Google didn't help me with "NF2 or NF4"? Any pics or a manufacturer's site?

The reason I ask is that I think a club maker could determine the bend/kick point using a frequency analyzer (like a Club Scout IV). Do you know if this is done?

Charles
    I made my own deflector unit and it cost pennies. Ok this is not rocket science design but it has proved to work for me and for those of you that cant afford an NF4, here we go. You need 3 screws, a marker pen and long ruler and a button.
    All you do is go to the end of your bench where the wall is, or if you dont have a wall, screw a piece of wood to the bench 2 x 2 x 1/2. This acts as a stop for the butt end of the shaft. Screw 3 screws into the bench 2 are 1 inch apart and the 3rd is 1/2 from the other 2. The reason why you do this is to accomodate raw shafts between the small gap and for gripped shafts use the bigger gap.
    Run a straight edge mark along the bench for around 30 inches and another one parrallel at 3 inches above the first. You then have a guide line and one marked line at cm or inch intervals. All you do then is make sure the bottom end of the shaft runs along the bottom line and you then apply pressure to the tip (I slip on a well worn old head), or the head if its fitted and deflect the shaft till a part of it hits the top line. Place a button where the first part of the shaft hits the line, This is your kick point.
    There is around 4 to 6 inches between high medium and low and the way to mark where these points are is by using a guaranteed high kicker and mark it and the same with a low kicker. I have 3 such shafts in the shop doing nothing more than as a guide. Once you get used to it, you can see at a glance if the shaft is high med or low kicker. Obviously the spin off over time is the feel of wether or not the shaft is soft or hard. Your hand pressure will tell you that. IE Not much pressure to make the shaft hit the top line = soft shaft. Try bending a rifle 6 and you will see what I mean, then get the wifes driver out and give it a whirl.
    I hope this might help someone, I invented it some 15 years ago after I got sick of bending shafts on my shoes against a wall and the wife nagging me.
    If this seems as a joke to most of you, it was probably an idea like this that started the NF4 discovery. Simple ideas grow into complexed designs. Hope someone gets help from it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammypvt View Post
    I made my own deflector unit and it cost pennies. Ok this is not rocket science design but it has proved to work for me and for those of you that cant afford an NF4, here we go.
    If this seems as a joke to most of you, it was probably an idea like this that started the NF4 discovery. Simple ideas grow into complexed designs. Hope someone gets help from it.
    Thanks I will keep this in mind.
    Back at it.

OK I now know what NF2-NF4 are.

The FGI discussion is kind of odd.
    On one hand they are discussing the inconsistency of the frequency meters, twanging, etc. Which I agree is a problem for this fledgling technology, but it will probably be resolved as frequency meter design improves or methods of measuring frequency are altered (instead of laser beam break maybe use intensities of magnetic field strengths or current generated from a moving magnet).

On the other hand they are discussing inconsistency of frequency results on test of multiple shafts that are the same "brand". This is more of an inconsistency of manufacturing than a frequency profiling problem. These results should not be new (also observed by deflection methods). If it is new (which I doubt), then this is quite a worry for the deflection method because it means that it is unable to detect these differences.
    Back at it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

The difference between a high and a low "KP" "BP" or "FP" just confirms what Dynacraft discovered years ago.

To say that "KP" "BP" and "FP" are all the same, IS NOT TRUE.
    (1) When you apply equal forces to the tip and butt of the shaft, what do you call the location of maximum bending?
    (2) Now, with the butt in my hands and a 200 g driver head on the tip end, I start my downswing and the shaft bends. Because these two forces are different, the shaft has a different point of maximum bending. What do you call this location of maximum bending?
    (3) Through impact, for most golfers, the shaft actually bends with the point of maximum bending behind the hands and the club head. What do you call this location of maximum bending? It may be in the same location from butt to tip as #2, but it is not in the same position around the shaft, as the shaft has rotated 90* from the start of the downswing to where it bends through impact. Don't all of the above 3 have to be called something different because the point of maximum bending is different for all 3?

Now, while the shaft BENDS or FLEXES, it does not KICK, in the same way that a shaft does NOT LOAD and UNLOAD. As stated above, the shaft rotates 90* from transition to impact. The so called kick that some golfers FEEL through impact is NOT the shaft kicking, but the release of their own wrist cock axis. Just once in my life I would love to feel the sensation that Ben Hogan or Moe Norman had with their hugely delayed release.

Thread Information