CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Question What do you consider the best shot ever?

I'm going to have to give it more thought before I answer... The freshest one in my mind is Paul Casey's hole in one to finish off a Ryder Cup Match. But I'll have to get my memory going.

For me the circumstances have as much to do with the greatness factor then the shot itself. If I guy holed a 240 approach on a par 5 in the middle of a round of 78 and he finished no where near the lead, it doesn't make it on my greatest scale.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    greg norman, skins game, off the cart path, past the camera man's head

7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar
    Serigio Garcias shot in the PGA championship from right behind the tree.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Best shot I saw today was Ernie Els hitting driver off the deck from 277 to 3 ft.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Best shot I saw today was Ernie Els hitting driver off the deck from 277 to 3 ft.
    That was an awesome shot! Even Ernie looked at his caddy in disbelief!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_670_12 View Post
    good choice...that's gotta be number 2 on my list.

"Richard"
    Interesting that no one has picked any putts as the best shot ever. I've seen some clutch 60 footers...

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road

Tiger at Glen Abbey

Tiger's six-iron fairway bunker shot from over 200 yds at the 2000 Canadian Open:

The difficulty of the shot plus the pressure of the 72nd hole. He admits that it was pushed a smidge but I still can't believe where that ball ended up. Poor Grant Waite never recovered from that smackdown...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    How about Tiger's chip-in birdie on the 70th hole of the 2005 Masters you all remember the one where the ball came to a complete stop on the lip of the cup before falling in - CLASSIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-60BgDPHpw0

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    How about Tiger's chip-in birdie on the 70th hole of the 2005 Masters you all remember the one where the ball came to a complete stop on the lip of the cup before falling in - CLASSIC

Absolutely right up there considering the situation that late in the tournament! I'm not a big Tiger fan, but no doubt one of the best displays of touch under pressure ever.

Some of my faves...

Fred Couples holing his 3rd shot for par from the tee on the 17th at Sawgrass after dumping his first ball in the water.

Shawn McHeel's 7-iron to 6" on the 72nd hole at the PGA to slam the door shut on Chad Campbell.

Any number of shots from Tiger and Ernie going head-to-head in sudden death at the Presidents Cup in South Africa.

John Daly's bunker shot on the 72nd hole at the Buick to about 8", from behind the green, downhill, towards the water.

Corey Pavin's 4-wood to 6' on the 72nd hole of the US Open at Shinnecock.

The list goes on....
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    Interesting that no one has picked any putts as the best shot ever. I've seen some clutch 60 footers...
    ...like Justin Leonard's bomb at Brookline a few year's ago in the Ryder Cup. I think that was more like 90 feet.

As well, in the 1987 Masters - Larry Mize chips in to beat Greg Norman.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    ...in the 1987 Masters - Larry Mize chips in to beat Greg Norman.
    Didn't Paul Azinger hole a bunker shot to beat Greg at another Major as well - Poor Greg could be on the receiving end of a number of the greatest shots ever.

How about Jean Van deVeld - and his INfamous shot(s) that cost him the British Open

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    How about Steve Lowery's double eagle which net him 8 points at The Internation 2002 stablefore system...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I knew I forgot one... This is my pick for the greatest shot of all time, because he called it.

Tom Watson on the 71st hole at the 1982 US Open, tied with Jack Nicklaus at -4. Nicklaus, 2 groups ahead, is already in the clubhouse. Watson hits his tee shot left into the long rough beside the green. With the ball sitting down in the rough and below his feet caddie Bruce Edwards says, "Get it close." Watson says, "Get it close, hell I'm going to sink it."

Watson chips in for birdie, and then birdies 18 for good measure to win by 2 shots.

Nicklaus who was talking with reporters behind the 18th when the chip went in, reportedly said, "That son of a did it to me again!"
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    Se re pak at the McDonald's LPGA Championship. She was on it in a playoff on the first hole. She hit a 3h 200+ yards to within 6 inches to beat Karrie webb in a playoff. It was awesome. Not the best shot ever but you guys already used all the good ones and I have to go to the lpga to find a good shot now

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

That's my pick as well.....unbelievable.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Pitching Wedge dpanco is on a distinguished road
    For "best shotS" ever, hands-down, it's gotta be Kim Jong-il. Check out his round, he'd never lie....

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/as...eut/index.html

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    im gonna say the sergio shot from behond the tree, or chris dimacos putt at the rider cup the other year, presssssssure! or my drive on the par 4 #16 at cedar hill 325 yards to 5 feet, knock knock, whos there? an eaaaaaaagle. lmao!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_670_12 View Post
    Had he drained the putt for birdie, I might agree. However, if I recall correctly, he 3-putted so that kind of takes a bit away from the shot.

As for my pick, one that comes to mind was Craig Parry at Doral a couple of years back. Holes out from the fairway on #18 in the first hole of a playoff to win.

MJF

was still a great shot though...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    Se re pak at the McDonald's LPGA Championship. She was on it in a playoff on the first hole. She hit a 3h 200+ yards to within 6 inches to beat Karrie webb in a playoff. It was awesome. Not the best shot ever but you guys already used all the good ones and I have to go to the lpga to find a good shot now

GREAT SHOT, plus she is such a BABE

I have seen so many great shots over the years it is hard to pick one. Faldo's hole in one during the Ryder Cup. Watson chipping in on 17 at Pebble Beach to beat Jack in the US Open. Jack making putts to win The Masters at age 46. The list goes on and on. Watch enough PRO golf on tv you will see so many amazing shots you will not be able to keep count!
    I remember watching "The Walrus" years ago at Glen Abbey. One of the Par 5's he was in some trees off the tee. He asked his caddy for a rough yardage, then proceeded to put the ball on the green for an eagle attempt! His playing partners were in the fairway and neither one hit the green
    I watched Vijay RIP a driver off the first tee at Ancaster a couple of years ago. Everyone else hit 2 irons, 3 woods. Not Vijay, pulls the cover off the big dog and pounds it dead centre,deeeeeeeeeeeeeep

How about the amazing shots you see while you are golfing? Lots I suspect.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Lob Wedge tonytutone is on a distinguished road tonytutone's Avatar

canadian open

it's gotta be the 18th on the final day at the canadian open to beat grant "weiht?" to win the open and be only one of two people to win all 3 important opens i think with trevino is that right? that's why tiger played it was really important to him and he did it when it meant something.

Birdie EO26 is on a distinguished road
    Don't talk to my ball !

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Nice collection of shots, but the soundtrack really does not work for the footage, but I am biased as I can't stand hip-hop (or whatever that is).

that shot at peble beach up the hill wasnt 300 yards and it wasnt a 3 iron, it was a 7 iron and i dont know the exact distance, i have a clip of that shot on my computer with the anoucer saying his club selection, i dont think anyone can hit a 3 iron 300 yards... maybe shawn fister, or some of those pinnical long drive guys, but never tiger or anyone else on tour.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I believe it was a six iron actually and it was something like 210 out of that rough.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I believe it was a six iron actually and it was something like 210 out of that rough.
    "unbelievable to reach it from down there with a 7-iron, only Tiger, went on to birdie" - the announcer

it was a 6 iron that he hit out of the bunker at the Canadian open from 210, or some ridiculous yardage like that

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Damn you starvingstudent!!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    ...like Justin Leonard's bomb at Brookline a few year's ago in the Ryder Cup. I think that was more like 90 feet.
    Nice putt, but the display the Americanos put on immediately after took away all of its luster.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    How about Steve Lowery's double eagle which net him 8 points at The Internation 2002 stablefore system...
    He had eagled from the fairway a couple of holes before that, and birdied one from the water! Toms played it safe on the way in as he had a huge points lead, then watched Lowery go berserk. Lowrey lipped out his birdie on 18 - he would have won otherwise.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information