CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Weir's game not in best shape

It's down to crunch time for Mike Weir. Weir's roller-coaster season on the PGA Tour has left him sitting just outside the cut line for the prestigious Tour Championship, a tournament Weir won five years ago.

More...

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    It really bothers me and I am sure him much more how poorly his last couple seasons have been.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

We Canadians all like Mike. It would be great to see him back in form. I hope it happens.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Um, let's not lose perspective, 31st or 32nd on the money list is freakin' great. The 200 behind him would have loved to have his season. Go Mike! I hope he cracks the top 30, but even if he doesn't, good season bud!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Still, he clearly needs to improve his final round perfomance. Not sure what his problem is on Sunday, but unless he sorts it out he will never be the player he was.

Um, let's not lose perspective, 31st or 32nd on the money list is freakin' great. The 200 behind him would have loved to have his season. Go Mike! I hope he cracks the top 30, but even if he doesn't, good season bud!
    Agreed, but he needs to be in the Tour Championship field.

I wish and hope he will be. To finish that high on the money list without a victory means you've had a very consistent year. He only missed two cuts if I remember correctly, and those were late season. Our boy is a great ambassador! Unfortunately I don't know of any young guys in their early 20's that are going to continue representing Canada when Weir is in his 40's and not as competitive.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Even when Weir won the Masters and vaulted to (I believe) 6th in the world at one point, I always thought that he was overachieving. I'm not saying that he's not a world-class player, he is, but I think that a reasonable position for him in the world is about 20th-25th.

Weir is not long, and too often has problems with his putter. He is, however, an excellent iron player and is one of the best with his wedges. Being in his mid-30s, I think that he will stick around the game's top 20 or 30 for the next 3 or 4 years, and then experience a slow-but-sure decline.

One of the players that you could draw a parallel with is Jim Furyk in terms of similar games...BUT, and it's a big one, Furyk is an excellent putter all the time. Weir is simply too streaky with the putter to be a consistent top-10 player.

Just my opinion...

This might be a stupid statement because you can probably say it about a lot of golfers, but when Weir is hot he makes a ton of birdies and is almost impossible to beat. Unfortunately, he's rarely hot four days in a row.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I gotta agree with donny. While Weirsy did struggle last year with the putter, that can be attributed to his nagging neck injury. He said himself that it hindered his putting as he could never could get into a comfortable putting position. Otherwise, he is generally known to be a good putter and he took strides in the offseason to improve his putting as his injury healed. The big difference I see between Weir and someone like Furyk is the inconsistancy. Mike simply cannot put four (or even three or two) good rounds together anymore, where Jim Furyk is able to consistantly play well for four rounds week in and week out.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Weir is not long, and too often has problems with his putter. He is, however, an excellent iron player and is one of the best with his wedges. Being in his mid-30s, I think that he will stick around the game's top 20 or 30 for the next 3 or 4 years, and then experience a slow-but-sure decline.

One of the players that you could draw a parallel with is Jim Furyk in terms of similar games...BUT, and it's a big one, Furyk is an excellent putter all the time. Weir is simply too streaky with the putter to be a consistent top-10 player.

Just my opinion...
    A couple of President's Cups back either Greg Norman or Gary Player (can't remember which one, but it was one of them) was quoted to say that Weir could putt the ball into a thimball (sic) - Which is a pretty decent compliment.

I read earlier this week, in a Rubenstien column, that Weir feels that he's lost ground by not concentrating on his iron game as much as he had circa 2003 - seems that Weir was spending time looking for extra distance off the tee and somewhat neglecting his 150 yard-and-in game (much like us!)...

If Weir can get his circa 2003 iron game (hit his irons closer) and his putter turned around, there's no reason why he won't be a top-20 guy again, or even a top-10 guy again - he's got way too much heart. I think Jim Furyk is an excellent comparison - especially because how dramatically he lost his way in 2004 - (have a look, he fell to 116th on the money list that year http://www.pgatour.com/players/stats/132018/2004). Granted, he was hurt for much of that year, but it's funny how we forget
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I get quite PO'd with people (not talking about the people here) who rag on Mike for not doing "so well" (my mother in law is one of the worst). Except for aliens like TW, it is a very fine line between winning at the very top and being around the top 50. Some putts here, some so-so chips there. Look at Vijay - putter gets a bit cold and he slips from #1 while hitting the ball as good as ever. Also, MW concentrates on the majors where his record continues to be very good. This year he was 3rd in the Majors Championship Points and he will compete in the PGA Grand Slam where the year's Majors winners compete for 2 days (because Moobs pulled out - Furyk is the only non-winner ahead of Mike and also gets in because TW won 2 majors). Still pretty good for not playing well.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information