CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thunderbird

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

Thunderbird

Stopped by the Thunderbird dome in Kanata and saw a notice at the entrance saying they will not be having it open for hitting balls this winter. What a bummer. I've signed up now to hit at the Sensplex. Checked out where they will be hitting and it is about the same distance as the Thunderbird had but they will be having about 25 stations. The one thing that I don't like is that they don't open until 11:30. Oh well at least a place to work on the swing.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Stopped by the Thunderbird dome in Kanata and saw a notice at the entrance saying they will not be having it open for hitting balls this winter. What a bummer. I've signed up now to hit at the Sensplex. Checked out where they will be hitting and it is about the same distance as the Thunderbird had but they will be having about 25 stations. The one thing that I don't like is that they don't open until 11:30. Oh well at least a place to work on the swing.
    Gerry:

Do they operate after 5 p.m. and on weekends? If so, I wouldn't mind signing up as well if the price is right.

Mike

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Mike, I looked into it the other day and they open until 7:30pm. Also they are open on saturdays.

There's some more info about it on kevin haime's site (he's offering memberships).
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Do they have a putting green there as well? I want to sign up somewhere and as thinking Nadon or there. I checked out Nadons last week. A nice place, decent putting green but very short ball flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    Mike, I looked into it the other day and they open until 7:30pm. Also they are open on saturdays.

There's some more info about it on kevin haime's site (he's offering memberships).
    Thanks for the information, Nat. I'll look into it. My game certainly would be helped by the practice.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Thanks for the information, Nat. I'll look into it. My game certainly would be helped by the practice.
    http://www.kevinhaime.com/shoponline/search.asp?cid=11

If you want a membership you can save $50 for a few more days. I have signed up.

I called them and he doesn't think there will be a putting green in there. I don't know about you guys but I need to practice that as much as the full swing. So not sure what I will do now.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    I called them and he doesn't think there will be a putting green in there. I don't know about you guys but I need to practice that as much as the full swing. So not sure what I will do now.
    Here's a suggestion. Practice your putting at home by trying to roll 6 foot putts into an opening that is only marginally wider than the ball. I guarantee you that by the spring, your stroke will have improved considerably. In the spring, you will only have to work on reading the greens and distance control. The latter is much easier to attain if your stroke (which you will have finely tuned during your winter practice at home) is consistent.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I don't know about you guys but I need to practice that as much as the full swing. So not sure what I will do now.
    You can do what I did and buy yourself 3 Scotty Cameron putters........that pretty much guarentees a solid putting stroke - right?!?

Well I will practice at home but I do prefer to alternate the two. Gives me a break in between to re-focus. Although if there is a bar there then I could hit a few, have a drink and hit a few more Not sure it would help my focus much though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Here's a suggestion. Practice your putting at home by trying to roll 6 foot putts into an opening that is only marginally wider than the ball. I guarantee you that by the spring, your stroke will have improved considerably. In the spring, you will only have to work on reading the greens and distance control. The latter is much easier to attain if your stroke (which you will have finely tuned during your winter practice at home) is consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    You can do what I did and buy yourself 3 Scotty Cameron putters........that pretty much guarentees a solid putting stroke - right?!?
    Well I have one, tempted by another. There is a new my girl coming out. I might save for it.

"Richard"
    I never understood the winter golf obsession, sure I've played indoor golf here and there but what a waste of money. None of you guys are professionals, none if you are ever going to make any money playing this game so why waste time and money on the sport in the winter? Just enjoy the winter, wait for golf season to start again and do all this stuff outdoors in the summer. If you really want to, take a golf trip in the winter, that makes more sense than hitting balls into a net, or at a 150yard long dome, hitting putts in a 2,000sqft putting sufrace that is nothing like a real green. I never understood the winter golf obsession... you may all bite my head off now

Your position probably helps explain why "You May Never Beat Dan". Believe it or not, you can improve your game in a variety of ways while practicing indoors. Taking a pass on beneficial practice time during our long winters is, for many of us, giving up too much of an opportunity to improve. Which brings me to my final point. We don't practice under the delusion that this will get us onto the pro tour, but simply because we want to become better players. Just as importantly for some of us, we love hitting golf balls. Moving south would be ideal, but for most of us, indoor golf is the best that we can hope for while the greens are covered under 3 feet of snow.

See you on the links next summer, Richard, and bring your money! We can play for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    I never understood the winter golf obsession, sure I've played indoor golf here and there but what a waste of money. None of you guys are professionals, none if you are ever going to make any money playing this game so why waste time and money on the sport in the winter? Just enjoy the winter, wait for golf season to start again and do all this stuff outdoors in the summer. If you really want to, take a golf trip in the winter, that makes more sense than hitting balls into a net, or at a 150yard long dome, hitting putts in a 2,000sqft putting sufrace that is nothing like a real green. I never understood the winter golf obsession... you may all bite my head off now

Quite simply, I like all aspects of golf. I am happy at the driving range, putting green, the course or hitting balls in a dome. I really love that loud thwack of a well struck shot. I like the exercise too, I would rather do this for 6 hrs than 2 mins on the treadmill.

Richard some practice may help you get close to Dan as Mike mentioned. I like working on different aspects of my swing that I don't take the time during the outdoor golf season to work on. I have found the last couple of winters that the indoor work has helped me and still lots of work required. A couple of months of working inside and working on my putting at home will get me ready for some southern golf before getting back outdoors here. I also find this time of year on the course a good time to do some practice as today I worked on my approach shots and chips by playing multiple balls to the green. As long as I can keep playing until things start up indoors I'm happy.

"Richard"
    Mike, you will have to give me almost 18 strokes If you want to play for lunch then so be it! Anyway, I accept your challenge

PPS dan and I tied one of our matches

Back on topic

If you guys really want to improve why not get your butts into a gym, work on your flexability, strength and conditioning. Thats what I'm doing this winter, I will be ripped like I used to be, will be faster and stronger than ever. Instead of playing golf when the courses JUST OPEN, why not hold off a month and go to a range, pitch, chip and putt. I have been going about this all wrong for the last three years. I'm done taking my lessons for the year, will practice everything I was taught.. infront of a mirror this summer once in a while, will work out and get into shape and then when the season starts (one month after it starts for most people on this site) I think I will have improved more than I did in previous years. Why am I doing all this?? to kick dans ass!!!!

6 Iron Ian is on a distinguished road Ian's Avatar
    Do they have a putting green there as well? I want to sign up somewhere and as thinking Nadon or there. I checked out Nadons last week. A nice place, decent putting green but very short ball flight.
    LB
    To me, indoor winter practice isn't about ball flight. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do, you realise that you can concentrate solely on your swing. No concerns about distance or target, just pure swing plane and ball contact. If you are monitored by a qualified instructor, I guarantee that you will NOT groove a slice or hook. Consistant practice throughout the winter will leave you in good shape for the new season and a few buckets in the early spring will let you see what a great ball flight you have developed. IMHO, of course.

Ian

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Mike, you will have to give me almost 18 strokes If you want to play for lunch then so be it! Anyway, I accept your challenge

PPS dan and I tied one of our matches

Back on topic

If you guys really want to improve why not get your butts into a gym, work on your flexability, strength and conditioning. Thats what I'm doing this winter, I will be ripped like I used to be, will be faster and stronger than ever. Instead of playing golf when the courses JUST OPEN, why not hold off a month and go to a range, pitch, chip and putt. I have been going about this all wrong for the last three years. I'm done taking my lessons for the year, will practice everything I was taught.. infront of a mirror this summer once in a while, will work out and get into shape and then when the season starts (one month after it starts for most people on this site) I think I will have improved more than I did in previous years. Why am I doing all this?? to kick dans ass!!!!
    So...you want to hit them further into the woods?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Richard a tie is not a win.

If you want to beat someone at match play, it's not about golf skill, after all you get/give strokes to equalize ability. It is all in the head, playing one hole at a time and learning how to win a match against an opponent.

On a more subtle level, not all opponents are the same. It is easy to get into some people's head, and others you cannot phase. Some players will get into your head forever. Especially when they impose a mantra like "I may never beat Dan" It's called preassure.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    If you guys really want to improve why not get your butts into a gym, work on your flexability, strength and conditioning.
    What is the point of working on your strength, flexibility and conditioning, if you walk to the first tee of your first game next season, with the same 'ole swing? Virtually everyone one here wants to be the best they can be so if they have the chance to work on improving their swings, then they should take advantage of it.

However, it is also important that the golfer knows what he wants to change and how to get there. Just beating balls into a net will only perfect the existing faults. For example, there is no doubt in my mind that a "single plane" swing produces more a consistent ball flight and is easier to learn. Therefore, you must find information on and/or an instructor who teaches this swing motion. Daily practice, even if it slow motion swings in the family room, should lead to an improved swing and that will lead to a huge increase in confidence, and winter is the best time to do this.

Even at 61, I know that I can still improve. While my fairways and greens were down fractionally this year, my scoring average dropped a little as well and that improvement in the short game showed up in my tournament scores and that is very satisfying. While I still think that I can improve, being able to maintain my game at my age is more realistic. To do this, I run 40 to 50 km per week, run 5K races, work out using a ParaBody machine at home every second day, stretch, walk, snowshoe, AND hit balls indoors 3 or 4 times per week and putt every day. It is a combination of being stronger, fit, along with intelligent, correct practice, that will lead to lower scores. Hitting better golf shots can be very addictive so seeing improvement increases the desire to improve even more.

And besides, some of us just like hitting balls.

"Richard"
    Dan a tie is not a win but I believe It was I that got into your head... you do recall how the last match ended in a tie right? (trash talking.. I love it). But seriously, lyle I didn't say just work out and all that, I said I was also going to practice what I learned this year infront of the mirror but mainly I will work on it at the start of the season when some of the people here are playing at the start of next season (when there is still snow melting).

DAN, MIKE, GEOFF... I will be ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    LB
    To me, indoor winter practice isn't about ball flight. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do, you realise that you can concentrate solely on your swing. No concerns about distance or target, just pure swing plane and ball contact. If you are monitored by a qualified instructor, I guarantee that you will NOT groove a slice or hook. Consistant practice throughout the winter will leave you in good shape for the new season and a few buckets in the early spring will let you see what a great ball flight you have developed. IMHO, of course.

Ian
    Well the other advantage to me of the longer ball flight is the chipping and pitching you can do to spots, you need length to have areas to land on. I will have to decide soon though.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Hate to admit it but I agree with Richard. I joined a gym last winter and targeted the "golf muscles" and built up my cardio. This was my best golf season ever as I felt stronger and didn't get tired as much on the course. Also, it helps prevent injuries. I find it hard to work out in the summer because I'm playing too much golf so getting fit in the winter month gives a good foundation to kick start the golf season. I had a friend who purposely gain 15 pounds of fat during the winter so he can get more weight behind the ball...give me a break!

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    I'm lucky to have my living room sparse so I can swing my clubs as much as I like.
    Will try to make to the dome during the winter to get some real contact this winter before I wear out this nerf balls in the living room. I'm also been working on the legs and abs for skiing, hopefully it will pay off come spring time for golf too..

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I never understood the winter golf obsession, sure I've played indoor golf here and there but what a waste of money.
    Right, better to save your money for that new driver and more JL belts. At least you'll look like you can play.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Pitching Wedge ShagBag is on a distinguished road ShagBag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Stopped by the Thunderbird dome in Kanata and saw a notice at the entrance saying they will not be having it open for hitting balls this winter. .
    Does this mean that Warren will not be giving lessons at this location?

Haven't talked to Warren but my guess he's not giving any lessons there. He may end up out at the dome in the east end seeing that they are run by the same people. You may want to check with them.

Thread Information