CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar

whats your grip?

So i went for my first of my fall learning lessons at Golftown and the first thing we looked at was my grip. I learned that I was not gripping the club properly and oh boy did it feel awful at first. we touched on set up and pre shot routine. I barley even hit balls today. I was using a interlock before today but with the new grip an overlap feels much better. What style are you using and why??
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    Interlock here. I used it when I was a kid and have now gone back after many years of overlap. For me, it promotes an overall unity in the hands and allows me to feel the right hand in the shot a little more. The scorecard likes it as well. But to be honest, while a proper grip is absolutely crucial I'm not sure the style of grip (ten-finger, overlap, interlock) makes a whole lot of difference. It's a little puzzling that he would switch you to overlap... I understand that perhaps your interlock grip could have been incorrect, many interlockers entwine the fingers too deeply which gets the right hand under the club too much... but as far as junking your interlock grip completely, switching to to overlap as a first-lesson cure, I don't really follow that, though someone else might...

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    Interlock here too.

Started out interlock, practiced so much (with way to tight a grip) that my fingers were rubbed raw. Switched to overlap for years...

Changed back to interlock last year because I found that overlap allowed far too much play in the relationship between my hands at address, and if I loosened up too much, sometimes I'd actually rotate one relative to the other during my swing (yes, I know, that's very bad).

With a light grip pressure, I now find interlock to be working well for me - very consistent grip placement, less fiddling, more consistent results (even if the result isn't straight!)

Snowman

Quote Originally Posted by hoylake View Post
    Interlock here. I used it when I was a kid and have now gone back after many years of overlap. For me, it promotes an overall unity in the hands and allows me to feel the right hand in the shot a little more. The scorecard likes it as well. But to be honest, while a proper grip is absolutely crucial I'm not sure the style of grip (ten-finger, overlap, interlock) makes a whole lot of difference. It's a little puzzling that he would switch you to overlap... I understand that perhaps your interlock grip could have been incorrect, many interlockers entwine the fingers too deeply which gets the right hand under the club too much... but as far as junking your interlock grip completely, switching to to overlap as a first-lesson cure, I don't really follow that, though someone else might...
    Well i naturally just went to overlap because it feels better and helps the shaft stayin the fingers and not the palms. For me it happened that way he did not teach me that way. I have to get used to the new way of gripping the club because it feels so brutal right now. I am having a hard time even imagining hitting a ball so well see how i goes. I may go bak to the interlock. I did find that my set up position was off as well.
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    In the immortal words of Chico Escuela..."Baseball been berry berry good to me."

4 Iron Ditty_72 is on a distinguished road
    Interlock here. I used the baseball grip when I was younger, but after several lessons, I've gone to interlock. I've experimented with other grips, but I think this one is the best for me (at least for now).

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I always used the most popular 'vardon' grip overlapping the pinky. About 3 yrs ago switched (nothing was working) to be different, to the interlock.
    Recently reading an article on size of fingers/hand etc it recommended baseball for me. So I tried it, with good results.
    Driving especially is much straighter with good distance.

So in summary, its all good, its all bad. Whatever you like.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Interlock. I could never understand the reasoning for overlap as the hands are not really acting in unison. Too much play in the hands.

Why would they change you from interlock to overlap? I could understand if you were using a less conventional grip, but the interlock is an "approved" method.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Overlap for me, feels very comfortable to me and I've tried interlock and baseball. I've got pretty big hands.(No comments from the peanut gallery please )I also use a thicker grip on my golf clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Interlock. I could never understand the reasoning for overlap as the hands are not really acting in unison. Too much play in the hands.

Why would they change you from interlock to overlap? I could understand if you were using a less conventional grip, but the interlock is an "approved" method.
    Like I said he did not change it. It feels better than interlock with me holding the club the proper way.
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    10 finger here.

I've used them all in the past, inter-lock, overlap, Natural (aka palm) and end up playing about the same with whichever one I am using at the time. I've even switched grip styles in the middle of a round.

I'm sticking with 10-finger (famous last words) from now on because it is the most natural feeling for me.

Putter golfantasic is on a distinguished road
    i used to overlap but my instructor told me to interlock

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfantasic View Post
    i used to overlap but my instructor told me to interlock
    Any reason? Just curious...

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milner_7 View Post
    I was using a interlock before today but with the new grip an overlap feels much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by milner_7 View Post
    Like I said he did not change it. It feels better than interlock with me holding the club the proper way.

One is not more proper than the other. It is a matter of preference.

Putter golfantasic is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hoylake View Post
    Any reason? Just curious...
    My instructor told me that the interlock grip is better for smaller hands so I switched..
    I'm golfantasic! don't be mistaken with ' golfantastic ' ..

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post

One is not more proper than the other. It is a matter of preference.
    Yes but holding the shaft in the fingers and not the palms is proper yes? Thats what I was saying.
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Quote Originally Posted by golfantasic View Post
    My instructor told me that the interlock grip is better for smaller hands so I switched..
    Thats why I am trying the Overlap as it feels much more comfortable. I have thick fingers. Whatever works I supppose.
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Lob Wedge tonytutone is on a distinguished road tonytutone's Avatar

overlap

i guess what ever you prefer everyone in my foresome is different baseball overlap interlock. I,ve tried both i also fell like i get the grip more in my fingers than my palms with overlap

Took the new grip and swing to the range yesterday and had decent results. Its gonna take practice to get it going.
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I use an interlocking grip as I found it easier than the more traditional overlap grip. Besides, if it was good enough for Jack Nicklaus, it was good enough for me.

Thread Information