CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar

Question Help me choose a set of irons...

I want to get a new set of irons for the 2007 season. Right now, I have a set of these Distance Master irons on Dynalite Reg steel shafts.
    http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_DM0022

I'm about a 10-12 handicap and of course want to get better. Not sure what irons or type or irons I should be looking at. I don't think I'd like a blade or muscle back style as I 'think' I would find them too difficult to hit on the sweet spot on a consistent basis. I was at GT and a rep suggested a set of TM Rac os2's. Tried them out on the simulator and liked them, quite forgiving.

I find they have a wider sole than what I'm using now, as I see most game improvement irons these days. My swing is quite shallow, and I don't produce much of a divot, although I can stick my iron shots on the green within a few yards of where the ball landed with anything 5i or shorter.

Would any other info from me be helpful to better determine what irons I should look at? I know its tough without seeing my swing, I'm just worried the rac os2's will be too much of a game improvement club, not sure if thats possible. I of course want to improve, I know I won't be a golf pro or anything, but I'd like to be around the 10hcp consistently.

Thanks for your help!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    First tip, forget about buying a "regular" 3/4/5 iron. Replace them with hybrids.

As for the other irons, go with something you like the looks of (seriously) and then get them properly fit with the right shaft for you.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Since you are familiar with GW why don't you go for a fitting session and try their different styles. They must have 10 to 15 different sets on hand, They use impact decals to see if you are hitting the centre of the club face etc. Moreover you might end up saving a whole bunch of $$$$ in the process.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    If you're interested in Titleist or Cobra irons, I would get them at the Canadian gc. They will custom fit you with their dynamic fitting sytem on their range with the golf pro and then order the clubs for you. You can also just purchase specific irons like PW to 5i which I liked. Also, they gave me 10% of the purchase back in green fees. A lot better deal and service than any retail golf store could offer.

Good luck in your search.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I for one switched to hybrids for the 3,4,5 irons and it has worked very well for me. I also switched irons this past year and have a similar handicap. I went to the Taylormade RAC LT and although they are 1-1.5 clubs shorter than my Callaway X-14 the feel and workability are fantastic. Chieflongtee and Bobblehead gave you the best advice, get fitted. That will make all the difference in the world. I still have to get my irons adjuted for lie this winter, my friend André and I will be bending those babies really soon!!, right Chief! Good luck.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I for one switched to hybrids for the 3,4,5 irons and it has worked very well for me. I also switched irons this past year and have a similar handicap. I went to the Taylormade RAC LT and although they are 1-1.5 clubs shorter than my Callaway X-14 the feel and workability are fantastic. Chieflongtee and Bobblehead gave you the best advice, get fitted. That will make all the difference in the world. I still have to get my irons adjuted for lie this winter, my friend André and I will be bending those babies really soon!!, right Chief! Good luck.

Sure.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I won't be using anything more than a 5i, I've got a 2 and 3 hybrid.
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll give golfworks a shot, just wanted to see what off the shelf irons I should look at, I'd get them fitted as well.
    Wanted to make sure if I do go with the rac os' that they won't hinder my performance, just afraid the wider soles would affect that, not sure how though... I figure the easiest irons to hit should be the ones I go for. I don't really 'work' the ball, just want to hit it straight!
    Thanks!!

Thread Information