100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar

Wedge that's 73°

I've used a 60° degree wedge before and I'm currently using a 58° wedge.
    I've seen some 64° but check this wedge out at 73°, definitely for some crazy flop shots.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:FSEL:US:1

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Wow. I hope it comes with protective gears...

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    "For when you Absolutely, Positively must take a full swing from 11 yards off the green, Nomad WRX presents the Feel 73* Lob Wedge"
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Its buttery soft, too. Maybe useful for those backwards shots out of bunkers we all face from time to time

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    A 73 degree wedge would be a waste of a club in your bag. I currently use a 68 degree wedge and I really can't justify it being in my bag but it sure is fun to use once you learn how to use it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Ive seen McGoo use his 64° with great finness and with almost no roll just off the green, the hard part would be hitting jit hard enough to go the exact distance since you will get little or no roll or backspin. It would be fun trying it though.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    My 64 is a wedge of choice to place like Meadows or Stonebridge where you need those up,up, up and down shots. I can' put much spin on the ball, these wedges help a bit to stick to the green.

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    My 64 is a wedge of choice to place like Meadows or Stonebridge where you need those up,up, up and down shots. I can' put much spin on the ball, these wedges help a bit to stick to the green.
    Where do you need that kind of up and down at Meadows?

The problem with a club like that is unless you're an excellent ball striker, the blade distance to good strike distance is too high - good strike = a pretty full swing for 10 yards. Blade it and it's 40 yards at waist height. Even a 64 degree wedge is a bit extreme for most situations. Unless you're going out of or over a bunker with a pin 3 or 4 yards into the green, it's just not worth the risk of a bad shot... (granted, I'm a 22 handicap, maybe the low handicap folks feel differently).

I see too many higher handicappers making full swings with 3rd and 4th wedges where a nice, safe bump and run would do the tirck - keep that blade to strike ratio down to get some damage control in there when it doesn't come off quite right...

Just my 2 cents.

Snowman

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Dreaded Snowman has tried to get me to chip & roll rather than flop my 64* degree wedge. I tried DS. Problem is I can't control the roll. With a 64* there usually is only about one yard of roll. The longer the shot the less the roll, due to the higher trajectory from the required stronger swing.

Since using the 64* I have never rolled off the green. I am going to try an even higher loft next year, hoping for a reverse roll from the increased backspin.

To those who are considering using a high lofted wedge rather than chip & roll, my 64* is useless in wet conditions. It slides completely under the ball. And trying to jam down on the ball results in a fat shot over the green.

Thanks for the thread fierce, I did not know that wedges higher than 64* existed. I am going to get me one.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I want it.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    I also want it. What do we do? I am willing to pay $100 US. I suppose I should be keeping this info secret. But if you pay more, and do not like it, I will buy it off you for $100. cdn. So you have a base to calculate your loss if it's not for you. Otherwise, don't bid against me. LMK

Hmmmm.... so I'm not the greatest player, granted. 22 handicap, I'm nobody to be giving any advice.....

There's a reason that 64 degree wedges are not that common, and generally higher lofted clubs are unheard of. They're just plain hard to hit. A full swing with a 60 degree wedge is 40 yards or less.... that's a lot of clubhead speed for not much distance.

I started out learning to play, and discovered the need for some kind of short game. I then found I needed to be able to go over things, like traps and the like, so I developed the wristy flop/pitch. Once I had that, I didn't bother with the chip/bump much, because it was easier to use a pitch/flop as a one size fits all shot. The problem was, it was damn hard to control. Sure, it stops fast, but it was hard to pick where it landed - lots of short shots, lots of shots right or left.

I'd be interested to hear from some of the lower handicap chaps here - do you carry high loft wedges, and if so, how often do you use them?

Snowman

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    There's 2/ 68 degree wedges on e-bay right now, I would advise the 68 degree pinemeadow cause its has a sharp leading edge with absolutely no bounce. It should go for about 25 dollars U.S., boy can I tell you some stories about using that club!!!!

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post

There's a reason that 64 degree wedges are not that common, and generally higher lofted clubs are unheard of. They're just plain hard to hit. A full swing with a 60 degree wedge is 40 yards or less.... that's a lot of clubhead speed for not much distance.
    bah! are you ninety? i hit them 90 yards with ease and only swing a driver about 100mph

You must deloft the face significantly to get that distance out of a 64 degree wedge with a 100 mph swing - that or you skull it.

Quote Originally Posted by overswing View Post
    bah! are you ninety? i hit them 90 yards with ease and only swing a driver about 100mph
    No, not quite ninety. If I swung a 64 degree wedge at 100mph, the ball would probably pass through my left eyesocket (followed shortly after by the divot).

No, not quite ninety. If I swung a 64 degree wedge at 100mph, the ball would probably pass through my left eyesocket (followed shortly after by the divot).
    So you would skull it too . Ah, I crack myself up sometimes. What a pun.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    That reminds me of the footage of Vijay i saw hitting flop shots from 2 feet over a 20 foot wall
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Thread Information