CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

CBC / Cassie Campbell

Well, I am currently watching the Flames/leafs game on CBC, and what can I say other than how great it is NOT to be listening to Harry Neale. Unfortunately I'm still stuck with Bob "who's #12 on Calgary" Cole, but Cassie Campbell is great (and doing a pretty good job of putting up with Cole, who is being pretty patronizing...every time she says something smart he sounds reallys surprised...pretty ironic really). She's intelligent, well-spoken, knows her hockey, and, if you would believe it, she figures out who gets penalties, what they get them for, and does so BEFORE the penalty is over. Now, I know the only reason I get this luxury is because there are two all Canadian matchups, but I'm soaking it up while I can. She realy is a pleasure to listen too. And, would you imagine, she's not even bowing down to the leafs - in fact she just finished pointed out why a non-call on the flames was a GOOD non-call. Not only that, she just finished explainingwhy Ryan Smythe is one of her favourite players in the league. Man...I really hope they keep her on...I tell ya, this is luxurious.

Did anyone else catch Don Cherry today? Pretty incredible how Phaneuf got ignored for the Norris last year given all those stats. More than anything though, I was shocked by how FEW hits Neidermeyer and Lidstrom had last year. 41? 28? not even a hit a game...that's not even close. It's astonishing to me, really. I would like to know why Phaneuf was ignored, but it was probably just the fact he's a rookie (though that doesn't mean its justified).

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Cassie is pretty good - a very pleasant surprise... Bob seems a bit lost though, more than usual, if that's possible.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Cherry has been around this game long enough to know that you have to "put your time in" to win the Norris Trophy. Doesn't matter how good Phaneuf is, he'll have to put in a few more years before he wins it.....As for the hits, I'm wondering where Cherry's Idol (#4 Bobby Orr) finished in the hit parade when he was winning Norris Trophies

Freaking Cherry drives me crazy - he's about as consistent in his views as a weatherman is in getting a weather prediction right

You don't have to hit when you're that dominant offensively . Phaneuf, on the other hand, was more dominant both physically and offensively than anyone nominated for the Norris last year, which doesn't make sense.

And, I do agree that there is an assumption that you should have to put your time in, but that's stupid, and I think that's what Cherry was getting at. (Mr Orr, incidentally, won it his second year in the league...with fewer points than Phaneuf had last year ) Sure, if you're relatively even statistically, it goes to the vet...teach the kid some humility. But when you're as dominant as Phaneuf was, he at least deserves a nomination.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I agree that listening to campbell was a nice a surprise....HOWEVER.... there was still 2 penalty calls missed completly by both cole and campbell. The major one missed was when the flames took 2 hooking penalities on the same play...wow did that ever confuse those 2... and typical CBC coverage they went to commercial break RIGHT away after the whistle, not giving any time to get up to date on the play and when we return from the break, they still don't tell us the calls (although i saw both penalities right away and knew they were both hooks on antrapovs rush)..

How is it that I can know whats been called and who its been called against while watching the game on tv, only seeing what the camera men show us better than the 2 pro's in the press box seeing the whole story... HORRIBLE coverage... i hate HNIC......needs an overhaul.....
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    geez, tell us how you really feel Scott!

I think we can let Cassie off the hook as it was her first big-time color gig. Bob on the other hand... well...

Also, I think we can all agree that Cassie was a breath of fresh air and did well considering the last-minute nature of the gig.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    I agree that listening to campbell was a nice a surprise....HOWEVER.... there was still 2 penalty calls missed completly by both cole and campbell. The major one missed was when the flames took 2 hooking penalities on the same play...wow did that ever confuse those 2... and typical CBC coverage they went to commercial break RIGHT away after the whistle, not giving any time to get up to date on the play and when we return from the break, they still don't tell us the calls (although i saw both penalities right away and knew they were both hooks on antrapovs rush)..

How is it that I can know whats been called and who its been called against while watching the game on tv, only seeing what the camera men show us better than the 2 pro's in the press box seeing the whole story... HORRIBLE coverage... i hate HNIC......needs an overhaul.....
    I saw that one too and thought to myself...oh no, here we go again. But after that she did a good job. And Campbell, at least, caught ONE of the penalties. She found the Tanguay one and explained the fact that it happened because he was a forward playing the point on the PP, which was more than you could hope from from Neale.

The worst part about that exchange was the fact that on the ensuing powerplay, Cole kept saying that the first calgary penalty was over and it was now a 5 on 4. No, Bob, the two penalties were simultaneous. Hence, it was a 4 on 3 for Toronto, followed by a 5 on 3, then back to 5 on 5. He can't even COUNT for god's sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    geez, tell us how you really feel Scott!

I think we can let Cassie off the hook as it was her first big-time color gig. Bob on the other hand... well...

Also, I think we can all agree that Cassie was a breath of fresh air and did well considering the last-minute nature of the gig.
    It was also pretty impressive given the fact that she found out at 11 am on Saturday that she was going to have to fill in (Neale was snowed in in Buffalo).

All that said, she definitely lacked presence/personality, but that is the kind of thing that will come with practise (hopefully she gets it).

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Cassie, a breath of fresh air, I didn't realize the circumstances as I just tuned into the game late in the 2nd period.

She is definately easier on the eyes (and ears) the Kneel and Bob

3 Wood Evil Chris is on a distinguished road Evil Chris's Avatar
    Am I the only one who was watching the Habs game?

I think HNIC is on the right track to making some changes. However, Bob Cole will never be replaced until he decides to retire. Don't bet that Cassie will replace him as play-by-play commentator one day.
    [url=http://www.zeemine.com/]Zeemine[/url]

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    She is definately easier on the eyes (and ears) the Kneel and Bob
    Yes she is a lot nicer too look at, that's for sure!

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chris View Post
    Am I the only one who was watching the Habs game?

I think HNIC is on the right track to making some changes. However, Bob Cole will never be replaced until he decides to retire. Don't bet that Cassie will replace him as play-by-play commentator one day.
    you're 100% correct. Both Cole and Neale will have to retire before they're replaced on CBC... Cassie MAY... get the colour job when Neale retires as she did show some promise as a colour 'person'. She had some good views and was not Leaf biased. Even as a Toronto fan I get annoyed at how biased Cole and Neale are in favour of the Leafs.

Lets just hope Cole and Neale say good-bye after this contract and we can finally get some guys in the booth who can keep up with the play and have eyes that still work. Don't get me wrong Cole and Neale were both great commentators 10 years ago, they've just stayed on too long and are too old to do it.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    ...Don't get me wrong Cole and Neale were both great commentators 10 years ago, they've just stayed on too long and are too old to do it.
    Are you serious? Did they actually know the players name and understand the game 10 years ago?

If I have no other option (like watching the game and listening to the play by play on the radio or evening watching the game in French and I don't speak the language) I'll watch the game with no sound.

Kneel and Bob drive me nuts and I'll never ever listen to them

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Are you serious? Did they actually know the players name and understand the game 10 years ago?

If I have no other option (like watching the game and listening to the play by play on the radio or evening watching the game in French and I don't speak the language) I'll watch the game with no sound.

Kneel and Bob drive me nuts and I'll never ever listen to them
    I have much the same experience with Homer Wilson here in Ottawa...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Gordie Wilson is certainly a homer, but at least he gets peoples names right, AND my tax dollars aren't paying his salary

Exactly what i was thinking...local guys are allowed/expected/supposed to be horribly biased. The national guys aren't

Thread Information