100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Best 9 holes in ottawa???

What is your 9 holes in ottawa? I really like the back nine at Pack. and at Greensmere
    I don't play any of the fancy or exp. courses so I'm certain there are better 9's outt here so let me know...

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Back 9 at the Canadian (even though I hate the 12th). Lots of variety, and some really intimidating holes when you're trying to put together a good score.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Eagle Creek. 3 very tough holes to finish the round, and at 3600 yards, probably the longest 9 in town.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Eagle Creek. 3 very tough holes to finish the round, and at 3600 yards, probably the longest 9 in town.
    Ditto.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    What is your 9 holes in ottawa? I really like the back nine at Pack. and at Greensmere
    Glad you like the back at Greensmere, but, when you play the 3rd nine next year, it will leave a lasting impression.

Actually played it today, unofficially, with the owner. It plays longer than the current back nine and demands longer and much straighter, and in a couple of cases, near perfect tee shots. Water is seriously in play on 6 of the 9 new holes and 6 of the greens are elevated, 2 of which are about 40' above the level of the fairway where you cannot see the actual putting surface. Unlike many of the forgiving holes on the existing 18 holes, recovering from a poor shot will be near impossible.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Glad you like the back at Greensmere, but, when you play the 3rd nine next year, it will leave a lasting impression.

Actually played it today, unofficially, with the owner. It plays longer than the current back nine and demands longer and much straighter, and in a couple of cases, near perfect tee shots. Water is seriously in play on 6 of the 9 new holes and 6 of the greens are elevated, 2 of which are about 40' above the level of the fairway where you cannot see the actual putting surface. Unlike many of the forgiving holes on the existing 18 holes, recovering from a poor shot will be near impossible.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

"Richard"

Lyle, if you should do the owner a favour and stop telling people that.. I already don't want to play it!!! hahahaha jk

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I would have to say Eagle Creek back nine as well. Especially with that 18th.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'll jump on the EC bandwagon as well

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Best 9 holes in Ottawa - Front nine at the Marshes

Front nine at the Marshes. If you can shoot a decent score on the front nine you will shoot well at any course you play.

The #2 par 5 plays 640 yards from the back tees, sloping fairway towards lake which runs along the entire length of the hole. Ranked as 3rd hardest hole in Canada in CTVSportsnet Canada's toughest holes.
    I always enjoy watching someone play #2 for the first time, especially the low handicap golfers, and especially the low handicap golfers who think they should be playing on the tour .........!!! I have seen many a low handicap golfer not finish the hole after they have lost their third ball. This hole can mentally ruin many a golfers round. Seen many 5 - 8 handicap players take a 10 or worse.... on this hole!!!

#3 par 3 can be very tricky with the pin placement on slopes. Seen many three putts from within 10 feet.

#4 par 5 plays 604 yards from the back tees. Wide fairway split by bunkers, so tee shot is fairly straight forward. Its the second shot which gets many a player.
    Again, many a low handicap player trys to drive their second shot across the marsh and find themselves with a lost ball.

#7 par 4 has split fairway. Smart players always go down the left hand side fairway on their tee shot. One of the Marshalls told me that during the Canadian Mens Senior tournament this summer he only saw two players try to hit their tee shot down the narrow right hand fairway. Second approach shot angle can be tricky with ample bunkering surrounding the hole.

#8 par 3. This is the signature hole with the Brookstreet Hotel serving as a background. The large pond is home to many a lost ball as the winds swirl around the Hotel and surrounding buildings and many a player takes one club less than they should.

#9 par 5 545 yds from the back tees if played smart can be rewarding.
    Problem is many a player ends up in the very large deep bunker when they get aggressive with their approach shot.

It should also be noted that like many a championship course you almost never have a flat fairway lie and have to constantly adjust for slight uphill and downhill lies. For many a golfer who is not used to this type of course it can lead to some high scores.

Here is the Marshes golf course hole preview link.
    http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf...es_layout.html

I am still fairly new to the game and having just played over 60 rounds at the Marshes this year, I am certainly learning all aspects of what it takes to play target golf. Also, spent alot of $$$$ on golf balls this summer. Definetely do not use PRO V1s.......

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Nice overview PEI - I take it that you have a membership if you played over 60 rounds there

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Yes, I am an Unlimited golf member. Also played past two years in the Marshes Mens League.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Unlike many of the forgiving holes on the existing 18 holes, recovering from a poor shot will be near impossible.
    If that's the case, I don't think it will be among my fav 9s in the district... making a mistake is one thing (and I make alot of them), but at least give me a chance to recover.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Either nine at Missisppi were great , a nice course , for sure worth the trip.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    My vote has gotta go to Camelots back nine. It's a real shame it is private and not many of us schlepps get to play it frequently. Does it still count. I am fortunate to have played it many times .
    Holes 10-18 are a true test of golf and will put any momentum you may have gained from the front to task.
    Even the fittest player will find this nine difficult to walk. To remain focused and score are extremely difficult.
    Both par 5's require precise accuracy off the tee or par is not attainable . The complexities of the greens and areas in and around are magical especially 17. 18 is an extremely difficult hole where missing the green can mean your ball could return to your feet.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I do not know what the big deal about #2 at the Marshes is? Unless you have a back right pin you can bank it off the hill to the left of the green and end up somewhere near the hole, makes for an easy finish to a LOOONG hole.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    If that's the case, I don't think it will be among my fav 9s in the district... making a mistake is one thing (and I make alot of them), but at least give me a chance to recover.
    Being able to recover is possible, of course, but the golfer will have to hit a better shot than he would have on a missed green on the other 18, as the lie will be somewhat more awkward.

The 3rd nine is much more aesthetically appealing as the view from the top of the escarpment looks out over more holes that have water in play, and as many of the holes are cut out of mature forest, the framing adds to the appeal. On a couple of shorter holes a perfect drive will leave a short iron to the green, but, a three wood to a wider section of the fairway, will add 2 or 3 clubs to the shot.

The 3rd nine is more challenging but very fair, unlike a few courses that are stupid difficult.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    The 3rd nine is more challenging but very fair, unlike a few courses that are stupid difficult.
    Ok, challenging but fair I like...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by clankoffdatee View Post
    My vote has gotta go to Camelots back nine. It's a real shame it is private and not many of us schlepps get to play it frequently. Does it still count. I am fortunate to have played it many times .
    Holes 10-18 are a true test of golf and will put any momentum you may have gained from the front to task.
    Even the fittest player will find this nine difficult to walk. To remain focused and score are extremely difficult.
    Both par 5's require precise accuracy off the tee or par is not attainable . The complexities of the greens and areas in and around are magical especially 17. 18 is an extremely difficult hole where missing the green can mean your ball could return to your feet.
    There are 3 par 5s on the back nine at Camelot, 10,12 and 16. If you carry your bag, as noted above it is a challenging walk for the final nine, plenty of elevation changes and what can be some extremely challenging pin positions, 18 front is the best example in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how the new green on 18 compares to the old one.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I thought Greensmere was opening two nines?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    I thought Greensmere was opening two nines?
    Yes. One in the early spring and the 4th, likely late summer.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There are 3 par 5s on the back nine at Camelot, 10,12 and 16. Will be interesting to see how the new green on 18 compares to the old one.
    Thank you for that.
    I was thinking of the par fives that placed extra emphasis on accuracy(12 &16) and overlooked 10 which is a little more wide open.

I am not a member but I understand the intention of the changes @ 18 are to provide more pin placements. Is this the case?

Thread Information