100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar

Some Info On the Cameron Restoration Process

Hi Guys,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I've had a couple pm's regarding the Scotty Cameron custom shop since posting the Newport a few days back so I thought I'd post my responses publicly.<o:p></o:p>
    The Process:<o:p></o:p>
    The process is very simple, you fill out that form and send it in. On order confirmation they charge you about 50$ (like a deposit), you are billed the remaining balance on completion of the restoration. Unfortunately you are looking at a good 60 day turn around (5-10 days in shipping times and a minimum 40 days at the shop). A nice winter project <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://forum.ottawagolf.com/images/smilies/smile.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\RESERV~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>, but a painful summer process.<o:p></o:p>
    They will give you a tracking number, and confirm via email when your putter has arrived and when it has shipped. There is very little info available during the actual restoration. They ship it back using international priority from Fed Ex. I think international priority’s shipping includes brokerage fees, but I am not 100% sure. I did not get charged on delivery, but Fed Ex does have the habit of sending me a bill later on without notification :@. Either way (don't quote me on this, it's an assumption) you should be able to get most if not all of your fees reversed since you have purchased a service not the actual putter.<o:p></o:p>
    Your shipping options to the studio are limited IMO to couriers like FedEx & UPS. <o:p></o:p>
    I had the newport putter shipped directly to the studio by the original owner in the states…A nice bonus since shipping it myself through Canada Post would have been a good 30$. I have sent a putter to the studio on behalf of a guy in the past (he lived in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Italy</st1:place></st1:country-region> so it was easier for me to send it directly to the studio for him). I used <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> post and they lost the thing…luckily it reappeared, but I could have walked the thing to <st1:State w:st="on">California</st1:State> faster, as it took <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> post an amazing 50 days! I will never use them for something of that value again as it is not the first time I’ve had issues with their service. I would strongly advise paying an extra couple bucks for safe shipping afterall the thing will be worth 400-600$ when it gets back to you!<o:p></o:p>
    The Results<o:p></o:p>
    I was really impressed with the service preformed by the studio. I have no regrets (other than that I must sell it since it’s a righty), and look forward to sending them a few lefties down the line. But be warned, the studio returns them to you in collector’s condition, so you might have trouble letting it touch a ball after you’ve seen it…they are stunning, and the pictures I have posted do not even come close to doing the putter justice. They do not look like anything OTR.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Personally I would not recommend paying for stampings. They are expensive (30$+ for initials, same for $ stamp, custom shop stamp, etc), and they limit the number of potential buyers if you ever decide to sell. Initials will especially ruin the value of a putter, so if you do get them make sure you’re going to keep it J<o:p></o:p>
    I would highly recommend getting the COA done. OTR putters are not worth sending in for a COA by themselves, but if they are already there it’s worth the 35$ as it greatly increases the selling value on eBay (collectors are very cautious online, but the COA will attract a lot more people to a bidding war). For those not familiar with the COA, it’s a certificate of authenticity. It was originally designed for tour issue and rare putters, but they have started to become a standard when selling custom shop putters as you are able to prove the work was done officially/professionally. It’s a guarantee to the buyer.<o:p></o:p>
    Cost<o:p></o:p>
    As for pricing, it is expensive. I do have a fair bit invested in this putter …it has to be something you really want. Also, mine was more expensive because of the insert, none insert pro platinum’s are a cheap restoration. Get ready for anywhere from 200-350$ in bills associated with a restoration. Less for just a custom job.<o:p></o:p>
    Tricks to save $$<o:p></o:p>
    The above mentioned COA is one of them. If you are going to sell, it can add 100$ + to the value of a putter on ebay…But if you plan on keeping the putter, and the cost is something that is keeping you away from the process, there is a great trick for saving money:<o:p></o:p>
    The easiest way to save $$ on a restoration project that will be your gamer, is to upgrade the head cover & grip. I’d recommend getting upgraded to the lime green custom shop grip & head cover (or another set of expensive matching pieces). If you carefully remove the grip, and sell it as a package with the head cover online you can get $150+ (the custom shop only headcovers and grips sell for a premium since they were never released to the public with most custom shop covers selling for more than 100$ US, and the grips for 50-80$ US). I have also heard of people requesting that the custom shop not put the grip on, and just leave it in plastic in the box…if you can get this done that would be great, you’ll save time and be able to sell the grip for more $$. Now just go back to using your original head cover, and buy a ‘pro only’ grip from golf works for 3$...or even splurge on a winn for 6$ J you’re still up a tonne of cash on the grip sale. (Note that upgrading to those items will set you back some $$, around 50-60$ so the 150$ isn’t all profit, but you are still clearing 80-120$ depending on how much you end up selling them for).<o:p></o:p>

That's all I've got for now, but feel free to ask any questions, and also add anything that I mgiht have missed.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Awesome stuff here Nat - Thanks

Thread Information