CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    ie - just because you have a guy lined up doesn't mean it's ok to follow through... (like if the guy has his back to you up against the boards or if you're taking a long run at him from across the rink
    Hey, we AGREE my 'simplistic' response meant that as long as it was within the rules of hockey.

next, he may have been moving to his right (well, actually, to his left), but his intent was to get into the zone and chase the puck - after all, he wasn't just going to go to the boards and stop - his progress was moving forward as illustrated by the resulting skid mark he left on the ice in the Flames end...
    I get everything bass ackwards so don't mind my description... and if I knew Dion was coming to nail me, I might just head for the boards to jump over! the only problem with this is that if they were to apply the rule that stringently, there would be no more hitting or biody checks in hockey, 90% of the would be illegal.... but I do see where you are coming from and hopefully we can get all the blind mice in the arena to apply the interference rule consistently and with some degree of common sense (something like mine )

I think the crux of the matter here is though, the timing of it as many of you fine chaps have mentioned to me... i can see now that it was much more of a 'bang-bang' play than the Hamrlik-Neil situation...
    Thats the common sense approach I am refering to
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I've watched the play a bunch of times at full speed. That hit was no more than 1 second after Hamel released the puck. In fact, the puck was still in the air when he got hit. That's called finishing your check. No interference whatsoever.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I've watched the play a bunch of times at full speed. That hit was no more than 1 second after Hamel released the puck. In fact, the puck was still in the air when he got hit. That's called finishing your check. No interference whatsoever.
    Common LW, don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really thought of the play!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Common LW, don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really thought of the play!

That's hockey! As a fan, I live for good clean hits like that.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    You're bang on dbleber - There has always been interpretation in officiating, but I just can't resolve the differences between some of these calls / non-calls anymore.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Bogie ghaakman is on a distinguished road ghaakman's Avatar
    Here's a video of the hit with a couple of different angles. You might have to scroll to the top if it's not already there:

http://www.thescoreboards.com/forums...7982#post67982

That's hockey! As a fan, I live for good clean hits like that.
    I agree it was clean... however, I would not have been at all surprized had they called it a penalty because sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Things happen so fast at that level that I don't think the refs have time to count how many steamboats it has been since the player got rid of the puck until impact arrives, so I doubt that they'll ever be consistent in making this sort of call.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by ghaakman View Post
    Here's a video of the hit with a couple of different angles. You might have to scroll to the top if it's not already there:

http://www.thescoreboards.com/forums...7982#post67982
    Thanks for the vid!

Now there is no way Dion could have anticipated that Hamel was about to chip the puck in (off the ref I might add), and there is no way he could have let up... but still, I'd not have been surprized to see that ref's arm go skyward.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

That's called finishing your check. No interference whatsoever.
    It used to be called that circa 2004... but I've seen it called interference last year and this...

As you might have noticed, I have a love-hate relationship with the 'new' NHL.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    With Chara, Varada gone, and Fisher trying to be the No. 2 centerman, this has been a soft Sens team so far..

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    With Chara, Varada gone, and Fisher trying to be the No. 2 centerman, this has been a soft Sens team so far..
    Gotta disagree on most every count there... Chara was noticably slow-footed in the playoffs last year and didn't manhandle anyone after breaking his hand on Cairns' forehead. An intimidating player no doubt and it looks like the Senators are having a hard time adjusting without him (on the PP too!)... but he's overrated. There is a reason why he's never won the Norris.

Since Varada hurt his knee in 04 his lack of speed nullified his fiestiness. And as for Fisher, he's been leading the team in enthusiastic hitting so far this year.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I agree it was clean... however, I would not have been at all surprized had they called it a penalty because sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Things happen so fast at that level that I don't think the refs have time to count how many steamboats it has been since the player got rid of the puck until impact arrives, so I doubt that they'll ever be consistent in making this sort of call.
    I refereed hockey up to Tier-2 Junior A for 15 years, and I agree that this hit was right at the borderline. That being said, it was on the good side of the line. I am confident that the vast majority of officials would have let the play continue as it did. If Hamel had taken another stride, slowed down, tried to make some kind of move inside Phaneuf, or if Phaneuf had waited another half-second, bingo, interference. The referees only have the benefit of seeing it as it happens. One of the most annoying things about TV is that analysts can look at the replay a billion times and tear down the officials about a call that should or shouldn't have been made. The refs dont have that luxury. Gotta give credit to Hamel too. He took the hit like a man, and popped right back up.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    As a Ref, what did you think of the Schaffer "no call"?

I think we are missing Chara, his size was a huge asset on the PP and in front of our net. I'm hoping Corvo will fill the hole a bit but right our defense looks weak.

The referees only have the benefit of seeing it as it happens. One of the most annoying things about TV is that analysts can look at the replay a billion times and tear down the officials about a call that should or shouldn't have been made. The refs dont have that luxury. Gotta give credit to Hamel too. He took the hit like a man, and popped right back up.
    And to my surprise, neither Homer Brown nor Homer Wilson even mentioned the possibility that it might be interference on the telecast, which was a nice change...

And you're right - Hamel popped up like a man for sure... great to see that! Had it been Havlat he's have lay there like a simpering fool.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    As a Ref, what did you think of the Schaffer "no call"?

I think we are missing Chara, his size was a huge asset on the PP and in front of the net. I'm hoping Corvo will fill the hole a bit but right our defense looks weak.
    I'm sorry, I didn't see the whole game. I was flipping back and forth between it and the Mets/Cardinals game. What happened?

I think Sens fans are over thinking the defence thing. Remember, this is the new imroved, offence minded NHL. They've only found the net 7 times in 4 games, and in 2 of those games they were shutout. The problem is up front.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    That is true. They don't look confident or comfortable up front but I find they look desperate on D. Almost as if they are just relieved to get the puck out with out taking the time to find an outlet.

Up front is easy solution. Stop letting Spezza control the puck down low. He gives it away 9 times oyt of 10. Great player for seeing the ice when crossing the line on a ruch but he always seem sto try that 1 out 100 pass when they have control down low. Anybody who uderstands the new age of hockey knows that controling the puck down low in the cycle is key to winning the offensive game.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Had it been Havlat he's have lay there like a simpering fool.
    True!! But..........guess who is leading the league in scoring???

Indeed, and he's on pace for 219 points! Something tells me he'll get hurt within a month.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Indeed, and he's on pace for 219 points! Something tells me he'll get hurt within a month.
    That would be history that is telling you that

I lived Havlat the player, but I HATE the money first attitude - good riddins just because of that......

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Injured...maybe...that or he'll get to 20 points in 10 games...then realize there's no point because he just signed a long term deal, and he'lll coast the rest of the year.

Gotta disagree on most every count there... Chara was noticably slow-footed in the playoffs last year and didn't manhandle anyone after breaking his hand on Cairns' forehead. An intimidating player no doubt and it looks like the Senators are having a hard time adjusting without him (on the PP too!)... but he's overrated. There is a reason why he's never won the Norris.

Since Varada hurt his knee in 04 his lack of speed nullified his fiestiness. And as for Fisher, he's been leading the team in enthusiastic hitting so far this year.
    ..and that's what this current edition lack, workhorses and grinders. Chara was a non factor in the playoffs, but without his strong present, every teams will come in to this building like it's a Tim Horton's drive-thru and pick up their two points. Now Murray is preaching the first line to play defence which take them out of their comfort zone, new guys are trying to gel in, and there's no chemistry. Knowing Chara was back there freed up other players to do what they were good at. Now the Sens are trying to model themselves after the Sabres or the Canes, you see Neil losing weight so he could be quicker and faster. This looks like a rebuilding team!!

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Welcome to the BIG leagues Denis. The Phaneuf train hits again!!! WOW!

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    I have to agree with goeff. If they take this type of play out of the game im pretty sure I'll stop watching hockey all together. The new rules have made a much faster paced game wich means less time to stop yourself from hitting a guy.All in all im still undicided about these new rules. I mean all I heard today is that this was the best game to watch this year and it was a 1-0 score, not one of these 7-6 games that the new NHL is trying to produce. I personaly cant think of a game in the last 2 seasons that I would rank in my top 10 as far as best games I've ever seen.
    But of course I'm a Leaf fan.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Spectacular hit. The day they call that a penalty is the day I start inundating the NHL head office with phone calls, emails, and letters of complaint with every waking minute. I was close to doing it the other day when the Sens were playing Toronto, and Neil crushed the Leaf player who had JUST lost the puck in the corner (can't remember who it was). That one definitely had me up out of my chair..end of rant.

That hit was a joy to watch, even as a Sens fan. In my book, Phaneuf is more exciting to watch than any player in the NHL. Every time he's on the ice, you're looking for him to crush someone (and he usually does). Add to that the fact he's a 20 goal scorer and has an absolute cannon of a shot, and you've got a future Norris trophy winner for SURE. I'm upset that tomorrow I have to watch the Flames/Leafs game over the Sens/Habs game, but at least it means I get to watch Dion crush a few Leafs.

Finally in today's Sun, in Garrioch's column, near the end, Murray was questioning why the hit wasn't a penalty too. Murray is far more biased for his team than I mind you, but he also knows alot more about hockey than I will ever forget.

Here's the item.... MAKING A POINT: Murray had a long chat with the officials following the second period Thursday because he wasn’t happy with the hit by Calgary D Dion Phaneuf on LW Denis Hamel. While the hit was the highlight of the night, Murray wasn’t convinced it was legal. “I thought it should have been interference,” the Senators coach said. “He’s chipping the puck in and what Phaneuf did isn’t allowed. The officials tell me we can’t take hitting out of the game. Who knows?” Murray did take time to fire a shot at Hamel, too. “I told him today he’s getting a lot of television time,” said Murray.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    what this create is *** that can't puck handle dumping it when they see the D coming in so they don't get hit and on a bonus, might make them take a penalty. I don't like it.

Lob Wedge toro57 is on a distinguished road
    I saw the hit by Dion and thought it was a good clean hit...I didn't see the penalty called for interference later in the game but from what I have read he used his stick to impede the player and that is a penalty...You can still finish your check but you can't legally use your stick for anything other than shooting , passing or deflecting..

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    The 2 plays in question earlier are very different in 1 way. Hamel didn't make a move after the puck left his stick and Neil did. Hamel had just released the puck and was about to chase it down. Nei had dumped and tried to get around hamerlik before he was hit. I think in Neils case a hockey move was made while Hamel hadn't.
    The Schaefer missed call however completely changed the game.

The more I see the replay, the more impressive it looks. I have never seen Gordie Howe play, but I heard he could take a player down with just one arm?

Quote Originally Posted by psniddy View Post
    The 2 plays in question earlier are very different in 1 way. Hamel didn't make a move after the puck left his stick and Neil did. Hamel had just released the puck and was about to chase it down. Nei had dumped and tried to get around hamerlik before he was hit. I think in Neils case a hockey move was made while Hamel hadn't.
    The Schaefer missed call however completely changed the game.
    "a hockey move"? ... sounds like you watch the NFL too much
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information