CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: What set up would you prefer if you were playing?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arrive Fri, stay over, play 36 Sat, leave Sat

6 15.38%
  • Arrive Fri, stay over, play 18 Sat, stay over, play 18 Sun, leave Sun

9 23.08%
  • Arrive Sat, play 18, stay over, play 18 Sun, leave Sun

20 51.28%
  • Arrive Sat, play 36, stay over, leave Sun

4 10.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Personally I think that it would be more fair if both side tried to field the best team. At least that way you can ensure some form of competitive balance. If we took the 1st 10 to sign-up and the Center of the Universe team took their best 10 it would probably be a wash. I don't think you can rely on random luck of the draw if you are hoping to maintain some semblence of balance between the teams - Either way, I'm still gonna try my best to go, even if it is just to have a few brew after the golfing festivities are over - My 2 cents.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Well I know this isn't the thing for some of our best players that frequent here: BC MIST, Thunder, sensfan63, and I'm sure there's more. Not sure how much time I'd get to see everyone's games if there was a qualifier. I'd want to play. In due time it will get sorted out. You interested Nat? I'm compiling a list of interested folks to see if the qualifier route would possibly be required.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    As far as team captains go, I don't think we could pick a better one. I'm sure Geoff has played with pretty much everyone on the forum, and who knows more about EVERY OEM club ever made, since he's played them all at least once too!!!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I have to say I am in awe of everyone here. I thought up this idea one day watching the Ryder Cup. Presented the idea to a prominent member of another site I visit. From all the replies I've recieved so far, from people wanting to play to people just wanting to come to offer support. I am truly blown away. It was intended to just be a meaningless gathering of golf-a-holics. That is what makes this site so great, the tight knit community we've created here. It is just awesome, and I am truly proud to call myself a member of Ottawa Golf.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I WILL say that if you hold a qualifier, I'd like to play in it just for the hell of it and see how it goes. I know for a fact I can make it no matter what, and who knows how well/bad I'll be doing next spring. That's the issue with the qualifier, you're going to have a huge number of folks out.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    So does this mean you'd be a playing Captain Geoff? I mean... you've retired from playing haven't you? Or did I miss a post? Anayway, it may be for 11 + Geoff's pick if he's really done.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Well I know this isn't the thing for some of our best players that frequent here: BC MIST, Thunder, sensfan63, and I'm sure there's more. Not sure how much time I'd get to see everyone's games if there was a qualifier. I'd want to play. In due time it will get sorted out. You interested Nat? I'm compiling a list of interested folks to see if the qualifier route would possibly be required.
    Interested, and underqualified! sign me up lol.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    So does this mean you'd be a playing Captain Geoff? I mean you have retired from playing haven't you? Or did I miss a post? Anayway, it may be for 11 + Geoff's pick if he's really done.
    I have already played about three rounds under the cloak of my "retirement" and actually had one of my best ball striking days in ages last Saturday at Hammond. But shhhhh though, wouldn't want that to get out. And besides, I am playing with you on Wed (if the weather will co-operate) so you are DAMN RIGHT I'd be playing in this thing. I have to represent our site.

I knew you were full of it. BUT, such a public declaration of giving up the game (but not) surely entitles you to crossing it off the list of 52 things to do in golf. Well done.

I knew you were full of it. BUT, suh a public declaration of giving up the game ( but not) surely entitles you to crossing it off the list of 52 things to do in golf. Well done.
    To be 100% honest Dan, I was ready to give up. But thought, I'd give it one more try. Played not bad, not great but not bad. Really hadn't changed my mind about continuing until the end of the season, but a good friend at work asked me to play with him. Went out, had a great time, didn't think about anything golf related, and when the round was over thought back "Wow, I hit the ball really well today". So just going to go with the flow from now on and not worry about results. Just try to enjoy the game. And I am really looking forward to enjoying this event when it finally happens.

This may floor some of you, but might I suggest bringing one female OG member and having the GTA do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    This may floor some of you, but might I suggest bringing one female OG member and having the GTA do the same?

I'm only aware of two or three female members at TGN and I know one of them lives out in BC.

To be 100% honest Dan, I was ready to give up.
    That's what makes it worthy of the check off the list. It was sincere, but lasted a very short time.

That's what makes it worthy of the check off the list. It was sincere, but lasted a very short time.
    Sounds like a lot of marriages...

Ba dump bump.

Anyway, not to hijack... LOL!

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Geoff,can you handle the pressure of a press conference?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Have you thought about format yet?

I think something like 9 holes best ball, 9 holes alternate shot, 9 scramble, and 9 worst ball would be cool.

9 worst ball
    Ouch!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Ouch!
    You bet. It's relatively easy to play best ball, but the white knuckles will really show in a worst ball.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    9 worse ball?!? Maybe there IS a place for me on this team

white knuckles will really show in a worst ball.
    Can you say preassure when you're in the bush facing an unplayable? I wanna go home.

BirdieMan
    I think ill be interested in this... as my handicap has dropped to 12.. but more like a 8 or a 9 now..

count me in, time will be the factor

LMK

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Geoff--how are you going to offend anyone here--have a qualifier--the forum is #1--why cant the team be #1--the ones with the interest will show up and thats what counts---unless 50 guys plus want to play--then my man you have a problem. I dont think you expected this much interest-----HEY this is "the valley" and we all have pride---we cant wait for the Senators Do it any way you see fit--I am sure that you will come up with the right formula
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I would definately be interested in this if it were to happen. I would think a qualifier would be good times.

Even if it were possible to take two different tracks, play them in back to back weekends or even same weekend, 18 holes Saturday, 18 holes Sunday. Players are awarded points based on finishes, top 10 point getters and 1 or 2 captains picks. I would normally say handicaps should be factored into this, but if you're looking at not having handicaps apply during the competition, then it should be the top 10.

I wouldn't trust those Toronto people to not let their top 10 players know when they were posting the registration thread so they could be the first 10 to sign up! lol

Or just have a putting contest, because we all have seen in previous years, putting wins Ryder Cups!

There's my 2 cents,

Fally
    aka Scott

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I would think a qualifier would be great. Another way to meet some more great friends from ottawagolf.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    I would think a qualifier would be great. Another way to meet some more great friends from ottawagolf.
    Depending on the response I get from TGN, I'm thinking a qualifier is a good idea, but going to be another thing to organize. I am leaning towards picking my team if racmbs agrees as well. But we'll see, there is so much interest I'd hate to leave someone out, but at the same time I can't let it get to big. I just don't have the time to organize all of these things.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    You guys think you would have to do a lot of "begging and sucking up", Ha imagine what a wife would have to do to convince her husband to let her go with 11 male golfers to a motel for the night!! Unless she is single...good luck!!

Geoff I think you should take our best from OG and whoop some TG butt!!
    Oh yeah, happy to see that your golf retirement was very short lived!!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I'm only aware of two or three female members at TGN and I know one of them lives out in BC.
    Hope you're not talking about me.

Unless you go by the name "Annika Fan" at TGN, then no.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Just a couple of my ideas and thoughts, Number one is I think the winner of the forum match play should be an automatic entry if he wants to play. Thought number two is see if everyone can have caddies so that more of us can have the fun of being part of the action. I probably couldn't come all the way up there to qualify but I'll come up just to caddy for one of the players and then just play an extra day with some other members if possible.

Thread Information