CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road

driving advice...

Any recommendations for my driver setup, I trend to hit my drive on the way up (I have been told) so I only get on average 220-230 (straight) it’s a regular flex with 10 degree. It goes extremely high so I am losing distance. I have played with teeing up, mid, low and it’s the same distance.

Not sure what to do…on long par 4’s it’s an issue for me as I usually take 3 to get on the green (my 4 iron only gets me 185 and my 5 wood around 200), maybe some articles that explain this …don’t have a huge budget so can’t test all drives/shaft combinations that are out there so advice is greatly appreciated….

Thanks

Lob Wedge Joelmtl is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    Any recommendations for my driver setup, I trend to hit my drive on the way up (I have been told) so I only get on average 220-230 (straight) it’s a regular flex with 10 degree. It goes extremely high so I am losing distance. I have played with teeing up, mid, low and it’s the same distance.

Not sure what to do…on long par 4’s it’s an issue for me as I usually take 3 to get on the green (my 4 iron only gets me 185 and my 5 wood around 200), maybe some articles that explain this …don’t have a huge budget so can’t test all drives/shaft combinations that are out there so advice is greatly appreciated….

Thanks
    Try moving it back in ur stance around 1 ball distance

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Try a lower lofted driver. Even though your club says 10 degree on it it could very well be a 12 degree driver. Your 5 wood probably goes farther because of a higher launch angle. That's the equipment explanation.
    When you finish your swing is your weight on your front or back foot?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    The pop-ups mean you are releasing early, losing the angle of the right wrist too early in the downswing. Something upstream in the setup and swing and is causing this -- but on the downswing you could try to get the grip end of the club in front of your left thigh before releasing the hands. Swing down, hold off with the feel of the clubhead trailing, when the hands pass the left thigh then let it go. This thought sets up a strike with your hands more ahead of the ball, should deloft the clubface and lower the trajectory. Worth a try, perhaps, good luck.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for advice...

I’ll try to digests some of the comments. I am fairly new to golf (third summer) so my swing has not mature (or already have bad habits). I know for a fact that I mainly use my arms without much turning so I know that is a huge penalty.

As per your Chieflongtee’s comment, you might be right as I borrow a buddy’s drive (10 degree) the other day and it went instantly another 30-40 yards more on several times on that round. I currently play a (old) ping driver with a regular shaft.

I do not recall what shaft (regular/stiff) but I wonder if the shaft might have something to do with the distance. I do not anticipate that shaft was high end as my buddy bought it at Wal-Mart for $40 is possible that it said 10 and it’s actually lower?

The only reason I bring the shaft issue is because this summer I replace my irons from regular to stiff and I got more distance at least 20% more on each iron and still quite accurate.

3- Nil to 200+
    4- From 160 to 185-190
    5- From 150 to 175-180
    6- From 130 to 160-170
    7- From 120 to 150-155
    8- From 110 to 140-145
    9- From 100 to 130-135
    P- From 100 to 120

I know that these are not great distances but I still working on my swing to take the whole body instead of just my arms. Currently I am playing low 90s with some rare rounds on the mid-high 80s. I usually take 2 putts.

Again thanks for advice…

Thread Information