CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar

Ball lost in fairway

Has this ever happened to anyone? Ground was a bit soggy at our early game yesterday, I hit a nice drive down the fairway, when we drove up to the general location, we just couldn't find it. I know it landed between the two white stake markers. It must have plugged deep into the ground. What would be the ruling for my second shot now that I had to drop on in the middle of the fairway?

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    Lost ball and back to the tee, hitting three, if you want to play by the rules. Sorry but unless you have one of the new golf balls that you can locate with a small direction finder, plugged balls that are not found are just one of the many tribulations that you encounter at this time of the year (and then again in the spring).

Carrying a small shovel to get the ball back out of the hole is allowed (but try not to let the head greenskeeper see you). BTW, it's also a good idea to keep a leaf blower in the bag as well at this time of the year.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    You don't drop in the middle of the fairway. Penalty stroke & distance. You have to go back to the tee to play your third stroke.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Whats the ruling if you do see your ball plugged? It is as it lies i believe.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    Whats the ruling if you do see your ball plugged? It is as it lies i believe.
    A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.“Closely mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

If conditions are really bad then a Local Rule may be introduced allowing relief anywhere through the green (ie anywhere except all hazards and the teeing ground and putting green of the hole being played)

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Thanks a lot. So much for par on that hole...and since lunch was collected, I won't tell the wife I may have lost the round to her

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    while the teeing ground of the hole you are playing isnt "thru the green" , you get free relief from a plugged ball on your own teeing ground

if the "mushy" ground is bad enuff that you'd have relief from it under the casual water rule , and there was reasonable evidence your ball was deeply embedded in that area , then you would have free relief
    youd drop another ball withen a clublenght of the point your ball first crossed that area ....hitting your 2nd shot

at least thats my understanding , no doubt someone will correct me if im wrong

Thread Information