+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OAC Golf School

BigFlopper

OAC Golf School

I got my OAC golf school letter the other day. There are quite a few changes to the school. New director, almost all new instructors and a new higher price.

Just curious about what the OAC GS members out there think about the changes and if they are going to join again. I'm not - it's getting too expensive.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    I didn't go last year after joining 2 years ago. I can say that it took me alot longer to get off to a good start without hitting balls in hte winter. I will definately be going back this year.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFlopper View Post
    I got my OAC golf school letter the other day. There are quite a few changes to the school. New director, almost all new instructors and a new higher price.

Just curious about what the OAC GS members out there think about the changes and if they are going to join again. I'm not - it's getting too expensive.

I'm not going back.. less instructors, over $600,
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

BigFlopper

Long winter break

Quote Originally Posted by psniddy View Post
    I didn't go last year after joining 2 years ago. I can say that it took me alot longer to get off to a good start without hitting balls in hte winter. I will definately be going back this year.
    Yeah, I noticed it was harder to get going without hitting in the winter. I think I will do the hour a week at an indoor range and then take a couple of tune-up lessons from Joe D. at Bent Grass.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    OAC charges outrageous prices and rarely if ever put anything back into the facility. I used to be a member years ago. It's too bad really as they are conviently close to where I live.

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    I've got a certificate for a free couple o' weeks there. It was dated for Oct, and when I called in they said they were going to renovate it and were moving the dates out to November, so maybe they are putting a few bucks back into the place.

That said, I won't be joining, can't justify the money, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    I've got a certificate for a free couple o' weeks there. It was dated for Oct, and when I called in they said they were going to renovate it and were moving the dates out to November, so maybe they are putting a few bucks back into the place.

That said, I won't be joining, can't justify the money, but thought it was worth mentioning.
    Don't mistake improvements with mandatory maintenance

How many instructors..names if you know

Thanks
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

OAC Golf School

Was a member last Winter. They screwed my swing up for a few weeks as I made the mistake of talking with numerous instructors. Also, you can pick up some bad habits only hitting 10-15 yards into nets. When you get outside you realize that your fade/slice or draw/hook is alot worse than what was appearing inside. Other people have also made similiar comments. Also, found alot of golfers especially the experienced ones never asked for any instruction and just went and hit balls. They paid alot of money for instrcution they never requested.

Another option which I have heard good things about is the SuperDome in the East End. http://www.superdome.ca/drivingrange.shtml

You have 300 ft (100 yds) to hit balls. May look at getting a membership there this winter. Understood that they only charge $284 for unlimited use membership. Only thing detracting from their operation is you have to find some time between 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Mon. -Fri If you want instruction there are CPGA Pros available.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    Upon further review I think I may look elsewhere. At less than $300 the Superdome may be the best option for me. As for T to Green I have heard nothing but good things about Danielle and her staff. The problem again is that you only see a short ballflight.

What stinks is that the hours are only built for those that are retired... :S Us working stiffs play golf too!

6 Iron Ian is on a distinguished road Ian's Avatar
    With proper instruction and regular video analysis (like every time you go in!), you should NOT groove a slice or hook indoors. I started the (outdoor) season with a very straight ball flight after attending T-to-Green all winter (usually twice a week). Agreed, it's better to be retired, which I am, but T-to-G is open late at least 2 nights a week, so it can be done.

I've already paid my fees for this year and have been in twice. I like to go in the day after I play and work on what didn't go well at the course. I've just got to start my downswing with my hips, not my arms. I should be on the Champions tour any day now! Yeah, right!

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road

Kevin Haime Winter Programs

It looks like Kevin Haime's is going into the Bell Sensplex building starting next month. The hours of operation are great as well.
    http://www.kevinhaime.com/winterprograms/

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparsons View Post
    It looks like Kevin Haime's is going into the Bell Sensplex building starting next month. The hours of operation are great as well.
    Thanks that looks like possibly a good one That location is preferable to the east end for me. Either that or Danielle Nadon. I guess I will visit the facilities to see which I like best.

Anyone know who has the best short game area? as that is a particular beast for me.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Anyone know who has the best short game area? as that is a particular beast for me.

When you find one, let me know. I lost me short game.. technically I know alot, but the touch and feel around the geens left me for another player.If they have a sports psycologist on boad all the better.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    When you find one, let me know. I lost me short game.. technically I know alot, but the touch and feel around the geens left me for another player.If they have a sports psycologist on boad all the better.
    Haave you checked in Geoff's basement, storage shed, mini storage rental, under his bed, in his car trunk and bag? Maybe you accidentally gave it to him during one of your club HOing exchanges
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

BigFlopper

How does it work

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    With proper instruction and regular video analysis (like every time you go in!), you should NOT groove a slice or hook indoors. I started the (outdoor) season with a very straight ball flight after attending T-to-Green all winter (usually twice a week). Agreed, it's better to be retired, which I am, but T-to-G is open late at least 2 nights a week, so it can be done.

I've already paid my fees for this year and have been in twice. I like to go in the day after I play and work on what didn't go well at the course. I've just got to start my downswing with my hips, not my arms. I should be on the Champions tour any day now! Yeah, right!
    How does the system work? Do you have to reserve time at a hitting station? Is there a wait for space? At the OAC you just showed up and if all the stations were filled, you took a number and waited for an opening.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFlopper View Post
    How does the system work? Do you have to reserve time at a hitting station? Is there a wait for space? At the OAC you just showed up and if all the stations were filled, you took a number and waited for an opening.

I went to t-to-green 2 or 3 times per wk last winter - somedays at lunch others at 8am, others after work, I only waited once for a few minutes, and practiced putting while I waited. No reservation system that I am aware of.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparsons View Post

I am glad you posted this, looks good, close to home - I think I will try this one this year. $375 if you sign up before Nov1.

Thumbs down Haime gives thumbs down to OAC instructors

Joe Dubinsky who was full time at the OAC is now instructing out at Bells Corners at Bent Grass. He wasn't asked to come back under Kevin Haime's new management . Same goes for all the other instructors other than Colin Orr who will instruct the summer kids programs.

If you are looking for a good instructor they don't come any better than Joe .

http://www.bentgrassgolf.com/english/default.asp

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Thanks for the endorcement Saint - I'm looking for a solid instructor and it is always good to have one referred as opposed to the trial and errror method. Joe has very competitive pricing too! Especially to some of the more "Advertised" instructors around town

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I've dealt to Joe and agree with the Saint's comments

Just curious...why the change in ownership...did Marc Paterson have enough?

Marc left the OAC back in April 06, to persue the Pro job at Rivermead. Left with running the school was Joe Dubinsky and Colin Orr along with the 8 or so other instructors. Joe and Colin where IMO very capable of running the show but the OAC management wanted a name to associate with the school so they propositioned Kevin Haime. Haime accepted and turned the OAC into the Kevin Haime facility under the OAC umbrella. Haime brought in his own staff to replace the past OAC staff instructors.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I have used the Superdome a few times and it is worth the money--yep you can hit 100yds. I am not sure what kind of mats they use but chipping off them was great. The only problem was that after hitting for a few moments you can really get warmed up, so take your time. Ya I know; I,m retired--life sucks
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Marc left the OAC back in April 06, to persue the Pro job at Rivermead. Left with running the school was Joe Dubinsky and Colin Orr along with the 8 or so other instructors. Joe and Colin where IMO very capable of running the show but the OAC management wanted a name to associate with the school so they propositioned Kevin Haime. Haime accepted and turned the OAC into the Kevin Haime facility under the OAC umbrella. Haime brought in his own staff to replace the past OAC staff instructors.
    Thanks for the update. I was a member there couple of years ago...it was great place to practice and had some very good instructors. Too bad they didn't keep them. It'll be interesting to hear feed back from students under Kevin Haime's umbrella.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    May check out somewhere indoors this year as I find myself swinging very hard in the sims and really setting me back come spring.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

BigFlopper
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Thanks for the update. I was a member there couple of years ago...it was great place to practice and had some very good instructors. Too bad they didn't keep them. It'll be interesting to hear feed back from students under Kevin Haime's umbrella.
    I'm just wondering how many students there will be to hear feedback from. I'm guessing he may take a hit in enrollment, but you never know.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Marc Peterson is a friend, I will check with him to see if he is planning on opening something to keep him busy this winter. I have not seen him all summer since he was working very long hours. He may want to take this winter off and spend time with the family.

As for Joe, he is great instructor and would recommend him any day.

Taking lessons indoors is great if you are disciplined and work on technique balance and tempo only. Fundamentals are always important to work on. I was an OAC member for 2 years and dropped from a 15 to 7 in one season. Went to the OAC 4 times a week but Marc and Joe were the only two guys that I worked with.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    I went to the OAC today. Fresh coat of paint an new mats, basically same as it was prior....

I've never had lessons before, so I'm not really able to judge anyone's specific abilities. I'm also not a great golfer (yet ), so the sort of instruction I need isn't really rocket science (better weight shift, in to out, rotate the hips...)

All that said, I really liked the format of being able to hit for a while in between interactions with the instructor, rather than having a more concentrated 1 hour burst format lesson. I live really close, and work from home, so it would be easy to get in and out without a lot of hassle or lost travel time.

Haven't quite decided yet, but I'm seriously considering putting the investment in to the winter session just to get steady instruction. I see the point of needing consistency in who I talk to....

Just my 2 cents... A bit of self-justification for joining at that high price, but the lessons + the proximity (I'd pay a lot to only drive 5 minutes) means I'll use it...

Thread Information