100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Anybody Putt Like this?

I had a dream 2 nights ago and all I remember was being over this line and a gentlemen showing me how to putt. I used to have both my arms almost straight down and pendulum but found I missed alot of straight puts just left. Upon further inspection I noticed that upon follow through the clubhead turns EVER so slightly left as it goes up the arc. Obviously we all know the slightest err in a putt is magnified over the length of the putt.

So in the dream my setup was slightly more open then normal but he main thing was (I'm right handed) my left arm was sticking out as though i was walking to a formal ball with a lovely lady on my arm and my right arm in the bent position at contact in a normal swing that I hear so much about and have been trying to perfect.

This way it stays alot more compact and I found upon gong over a line last night that the clubhead was staying straight through impact!

Anythoughts?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    What did you eat before going to bed that caused that dream? Cause I want to eat it and then dream about how I can hit the perfect drive!
    Putting is a personal thing, you do what feels right and works for you. Try your dream method and see what happens.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Sand Wedge Rando is on a distinguished road

lady on my arm?

I am using the CLAW grip. I also have my left arm in that position (pointing down the line). I find my putts are much more consistently on line. Seems to keep the putter face square.

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    As long as it wasn't a wet dream, I think you'll be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I am using the CLAW grip. I also have my left arm in that position (pointing down the line). I find my putts are much more consistently on line. Seems to keep the putter face square.

Yes Rando, ever gone to a formal function and where a lady is on your arm? Same position for my left arm. To simulate put your left hand on your stomach so the left arm is basically horizontal to the ground. Going to try it out nex time I go. Tried claw didn't feel to comfortable. another option is having my left hand lower then right. Had great success from up close but never under any kind of pressure situation.
    Last edited by dH; 10-05-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    Let's try and keep this clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    What did you eat before going to bed that caused that dream? Cause I want to eat it and then dream about how I can hit the perfect drive!
    Putting is a personal thing, you do what feels right and works for you. Try your dream method and see what happens.
    I dream about golf all the time regardless of what I eat actually. Today I had a dream I was in my old room talking on a cell that died years ago should of clued in but a business associate had called w/ a great new idea i was trying to load my computer when my alarm went! So I set the alarm 10 minutes later to try and go back but obviously it was gone. I"m actually very much looking forward to trying this may even take a pic but it keeps the clubface 100% square through impact something I"ve tried but never been able to do thus far.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post
    I dream about golf all the time regardless of what I eat actually. Today I had a dream I was in my old room talking on a cell that died years ago should of clued in but a business associate had called w/ a great new idea i was trying to load my computer when my alarm went! So I set the alarm 10 minutes later to try and go back but obviously it was gone. I"m actually very much looking forward to trying this may even take a pic but it keeps the clubface 100% square through impact something I"ve tried but never been able to do thus far.
    WOW MAN, you must have done some illegal substances when you were young

You might be able to send your idea to the Golf Channel and call it the DH STANCE!
    Dave Pelze watch out, here comes the DH SHORT GAME SCHOOL
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Dreams

PS Round #90 coming up this afternoon
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    WOW MAN, you must have done some illegal substances when you were young

You might be able to send your idea to the Golf Channel and call it the DH STANCE!
    Dave Pelze watch out, here comes the DH SHORT GAME SCHOOL
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Dreams

PS Round #90 coming up this afternoon
    Vivid imagination is all; I recognize the stance from Walter Hagen at hickorygolfers.com but not sure where the rest is from. I have an errand to run this aft but may still get a 9 in.
    Last edited by dH; 10-05-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman View Post
    That only applies if you golf in the rain.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    So in the dream my setup was slightly more open then normal but he main thing was (I'm right handed) my left arm was sticking out as though i was walking to a formal ball with a lovely lady on my arm and my right arm in the bent position at contact in a normal swing that I hear so much about and have been trying to perfect.

This way it stays alot more compact and I found upon gong over a line last night that the clubhead was staying straight through impact!

Anythoughts?
    I have used this type of Claw posture and it owrked wonderfully for long while but then somehow I changed my posture and inadvertently moved closer to the ball. I instantly was pulling my putts. I was watching Personl lessons from the Pros and Chris DiMarco told his student that he was standing too close to the ball. I saw it and tried it and voila, I am back with the claw and having success.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Due to family and sickness only got a chance to go out today and test my theory.

First green ironically the ONLY green in regulation all day I 3 putted and was discouraged but after a few more uneventful holes figured ok. Today is just a test lets stick with it.

WOW WOW WOW. I didn't 3 putt ONCE and I sunk almost every one within 6 feet ALL DAY. I mean I normally NEVER sink 6 footers its sad but normally I always just miss but I was just draining them today even some super long ones just missed and tapped in. My distance and directin control were better then ever.

Long story short I'll be keeping this forever I think I mean my confidence is back in my putting and I'm loving it I just can't believe it. Crazy part is it came in a dream.

Anybody else putt like this?

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Too funny. Must be male intuition.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    So in the dream my setup was slightly more open then normal
    The part that I don't like is the above. If you setup OPEN then you are going to have to compensate somewhere as your putter path tends to follow the shoulder line and if the shoulder line is left, then that is where you are going to go, unless you block it somehow.

Keep putting as simple as possible:
    -hands below the shoulders
    -eyes over the target line
    -SQUARE setup
    -face square to the target line
    -smooth stroke THROUGH the ball, not AT it.

The bill is in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    The part that I don't like is the above. If you setup OPEN then you are going to have to compensate somewhere as your putter path tends to follow the shoulder line and if the shoulder line is left, then that is where you are going to go, unless you block it somehow.

Keep putting as simple as possible:
    -hands below the shoulders
    -eyes over the target line
    -SQUARE setup
    -face square to the target line
    -smooth stroke THROUGH the ball, not AT it.

The bill is in the mail.
    Valid point as per usual. I am going to try that tomorrow. Thanks again!

P.S Your cheque is already in the mail.

Played today and well I'm not sure if the square address was good for me or if I just putted poorly I understand the shoulders should be pointing down the target line but when I open up the stance I also turn my body I just find it easier to balance like that..

If I were to open stance but move shoulders towards target line would that have the same effect as setting up square as it acomplishes my shoulders pointing towards the target line?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there was this guy named Nicholas that had a slightly open putting stance, he made the odd putt

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there was this guy named Nicholas that had a slightly open putting stance, he made the odd putt
    You are not wrong. The same golfer also had a hugely upright golf swing and an aggressive lower body drive forward to compensate for that upright swing. The one thing that Nicklaus had an abundance of, that we mortals lack, is TALENT, that inate ability to repeat the same motion time and time again, even if it defies the odds. If you and I and others on this forum had Jack's ability, we would be watching each other on TV and making millions.

The problem with many golfers is that we worship the Tour pros and try to copy what they do, thinking that it must be the best way. This is not necessarily true. Also, most instruction is still based on what the pros do.

Golfers can make putts with an open stance, a closed stance or even standing on their noses, but the highest probability for success comes from a square stance. The closer you can putt like "Perfy" the more putts you will make. After 45 years of playing golf, if nothing else, I have learned that 99% of what I hear, see and read about golf, leads to confusion and slow progress. When someone uses the KISS principle in their instruction, they are looked upon as outcasts.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I am wondering if you are doing an open stance due to cross eyed dominance. My natural feeling is also to putt with an open stance and found out that it was for that reason. I am a right handed player with a strongly dominant left eye. I had a lot of problems seeing the line, I always thought the line was much more right than it was, even with my eyes over the ball. I have now found that if I line up from behind the ball using the line on the ball to my intended direction, then I can set up square and everything is fine. It is also training me to see what the correct line really is.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    You are not wrong.
    Say it again BC, say it again

If you and I and others on this forum had Jack's ability, we would be watching each other on TV and making millions.

The problem with many golfers is that we worship the Tour pros and try to copy what they do, thinking that it must be the best way. This is not necessarily true. Also, most instruction is still based on what the pros do.
    I agree 100% with a small caveat - my idea of a "Perfect" instructor is one who can take my less than perfect swing and work with me to make it work better - without wanting to totally change my swing to make it emulate the swing that he/she feels is the "best"

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    One thing that did help me was fitting my putter. I have a Guerin-Rife which allows me to change the lie angle and the weight of the putter if need be (I rarely do). I adjusted the lie angle for my posture and I am over the ball much better and I am able to see the line quite well and I am confident that the putter is sitting at the right angle to make good solid contact. It has improved my aim down target line but in the end I still have to put a good stroke and the right weight & line to get to go in
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    In regards to Lefty , Little Brit and Hacker---you are all correct. An older (much much older than I) gentleman told me a year ago that your eyes were not designed to focus or look at an object in a vertical position--ie; when you are over a putt and you slightly turn your head to line up---he said look at the putt from behind and infront of the ball and follow through as if you were guiding the ball into the cup--works for me
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information