CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hockey question

"Richard"

Hockey question

Which players do you think will have the greatest improvment over last year?

I think Joe Thorton will have a better year now that he is with one tean for the whole season.

Sid the kid should do well now that malkin is with him

I think Ovechkin will do better as well

Spezza, havlat... cant think of anything else

who will do worse?

You'd have to think that without savard ATL would score as many goals, I don't think hasek will play well... who else???

"Richard"
    come on people, its for a pool need some feedback

indio, jonf where are you punks

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I think there will be a big improvement from steen, stajan, wellwood. Phaneuf is just going to become even more of a force. I see Mikey Fisher putting together a breakout offensive year.

haha...nice timing.

How's your pool scoring done? Is it just goals/assists. What factors do I need to consider.

"Richard"
    goals are 1.25, assists are 1, wins for a goalie are 2, shout outs are 3 points so if you win with a shut out... thats 5 points!!!! Lets hear it!!

I guess with the goals being worth more I should probaby go with jagr or ovechkin #1

With last years stats, kipper would have 117 which means he would be in the top 10, but I might go with ottawas new goalie, he will get a lot of wins no?? (if kipper isn't avail.)

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    well if goalies go by wins, i think Kipper, Gerber, Bryzgalov/Giggy, Ryan Miller, Brodeur always seems to play about 75 games. I think Staal/Cole will be good this year, Spezza/Heatley/Alfie as well as i think Modano will have a good year.

Kipprussov is the top goalie for sure. I wouldn't take Gerber - Ottawa's D has not looked that strong - he may get a fair number of wins, but he won't get many shutouts, and Emery is likely to get a decent share of the action. Avoid Bryzgalov - one good playoff run, and we all know what happened to the last anaheim goalie who had one of those. Brodeur is definitely a good choise, as is Miller.

Ovechkin or Jagr are definitely good choices. Iginla is up there too - he and Tanguay are going to be an absolute KILLER combination. I mean, Iginla is scary enough with nobody around him...give him one of the top setup guys in the league and...man...these guys are going on a tear for sure. Crosby is also going to have a really good year with Malkin at his side. It's a toss up between Crosby and Thornton - i think they will end the year with very similar stats. Take Spezza over Heatley, but Heatley is also a good choice (more goals, but fewer total points). Alfie...not so sure, simply because its tough to say who he will end up playing with. Staal will get you lots of points. These are all obvious choices though

Don't forget about guys like Naslund - the line he's been on with the Sedins looks pretty dangerous. with the departure of Shanny and Yzerman, look for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to be carrying the load offensively for the red wings. Don't forget about old faithful, Mr Sakic. Cheechoo won the goal-scoring title last year, but I would avoid taking him in the early rounds. If you can get him 4 or 5 rounds into it, jump on it, but I'm still not sure if this guy is for real. Also, look for Bertuzzi to pick it up again in Florida - fresh start, new environment, and he will be their go-to guy, so he'd better play like it.

3 Iron Go_Leafs_Go is on a distinguished road Go_Leafs_Go's Avatar
    Nobody mentioned Jagr. He will finish in the top 5 for points this year. Ollie Jokinnen will only improve on last years 89 points with Bertuzzi now in FLA. You can't go wrong picking Marian Hossa either.
    [B][U]In my Bag ???[/U][/B]
    What do you mean ???
    Are we supposed to use bags ???

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    You guys are overlooking the fact that Malkin is a center and will probably not play that much with Sid. They will see action on the PP but I doubt they will putt these two together on the same line day in day out.

Havlat will be playing on one of the weakest team in the league so I would not count on him.

This is my pool selection in my league:

E. Stall
    Sakic
    Malkin
    Ovechkin
    Straka
    Leclair
    Hossa
    Satan
    Afinoganov
    Rafalski
    Campbell
    Progner (with ANA now. Should be interesting)
    Gonchar (Lots of PP time and lots of new gun in front)
    Gerber (I’m confident )
    Denis (???)
    Theo (Hope he bounces back. )

Other no brainers:

Crosby, Nash, Iginla, Redden, Vokoum, Jokinen, Datsyuk, Modano, Keterberg, Kiprusoff, Brodeur, Brière, Richards, Kariya, Selanne, Zubov, Boyle, Savard, Sundin, Jagr, Gionta, Neigermayer, R.Miller, OTT’s first line, SJ’s first line, Tanguay, Naslund, Luongo, Toskala, Lidstrom,Phaneuf, Lecavalier, Forsberg, Elias, Cole, Gomez, Kovalchuk, Gagne…..
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I think Oveshkin will win the scoring title this year. The main reason is that Sid will probably play a little less since Malkin is also plays center. Ice time will probably be shared especially if Malkin lives up to expectations. I doubt that they will convert Malkin or Sid to the wing. Oveshkin will log an enormous amount of ice time thus giving him more scoring opportunities. I hope I’m wrong cause I would like to Sid win the scoring title with a few of his young team mates not fare behind like Malkin, Stall…

Mike

"Richard"
    Last question... Is there a site that i can go to to tell me which goalie is starting that night? I mean, if I have gerber and emry starts I just wasted pot. points. Anyway ideas?

I have no clue but my suggestion is don’t take Emery. There are 30 starting goalies in the league and Emery is not one of them.

Mike

"Richard"
    I know, but gurber is one of my starters and I can sit him on a day that I know emry is starting

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    For finding out who is in goal, this can change right up until the puck drops. Normally you can check NHL.com or the team site and you can find out who is projected to start though.

And if you haven't picked yet....best strategy is to pick up one goalie in the 3rd or 4th round (of a snake-style pick draft) then pick up another goalie late. Keep an eye on what other people are doing. I was in a draft where by the 8th round I was the only person still needing a goalie...which means I was able to concentrate on my other players and picked up my 2nd goalie (Lehtonen) as my 16th round (last) pick. Sure I didn't get Brodeur or Kipper, but Miller and Lehtonen should be good for 60-70 wins total as well.....

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Drop emery and find another starter...if gerber isnt playing you are better off having a goalie form a different team...A good TEAM wins 40-45 games, a good goalie wins 30.

Having 2 30 game winning goalies is better than having a tandem that wins 40 total...

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Patrick Elias will play a full season,
    Mark Bell(like the hockey news says" what if you woke up to find out you playing on the top line with Joe Thorton and Jonathan Chechoo),
    Also love Shawn Horcoff as a pic. He'll be the #1 centre in edmonton this year.I also think that Martin Stlouis will return to form this year.

Thread Information