• Tiger Woods

30 68.18%
  • Roger Federer

14 31.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Federer or TW

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    [quote=SGH][quote=Hacker]Tiger has shown that he can win under any conditions.

Except match play and Ryder Cup right?
    Match Play??

"Woods compiled one of the most impressive amateur records in golf history, winning six USGA national championships, plus the NCAA title, before turning professional on August 27, 1996. He concluded his amateur career by winning an unprecedented third consecutive U.S. Amateur title, finishing with a record 18 consecutive match-play victories.

An achievement which ranks with any of his professional records, Woods won the U.S. Junior Amateur three times and was the first to win that title more than once. He was the youngest ever to win the U.S. Junior Amateur (age 15 in 1991) and the youngest ever to win the U.S. Amateur (age 18 in 1994). With his U.S. Open victory, Tiger became the first ever to hold that title along with the U.S. Junior Amateur and U.S. Amateur titles."

Tiger has one of the best Match Play records in golf history

I don't count Ryder Cup because it is a "Team" event in an "Individual" sport, but since you brought up the team game - what is Federer's doubles ranking? (371) and how many Davis Cups have Switzerland won? (0)

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Like i have said, i love this discussion, but it is WAY too difficult to determine who is more dominate in their sport.
    Agreed!!

....but it sure is fun trying

I say let them play tennis in the rain, then we'll see who has some skills.....Imagine a rain soaked ball coming towards you at 130 MPH spraying water into your eyes as you struggle to keep a grip on the slick carpet

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Simple answer in my opinion, how many non sports people know Tiger and Fed? The majority will know Tiger before Fed
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    Agreed!!

....but it sure is fun trying

I say let them play tennis in the rain, then we'll see who has some skills.....Imagine a rain soaked ball coming towards you at 130 MPH spraying water into your eyes as you struggle to keep a grip on the slick carpet
    I don't think the rain soaked ball would be the problem, its the broken ankles and blown knees that would be the problem!! Tennis in the rain is like hockey players playing on cracked ice!

For the life of me i can't tell you who is more dominant, i have been thinking about it for days! They both make it look like they are playing a sport that noone else is, like they have found a glitch in the game and are not telling anyone!!

I do know one thing - I can spank Tiger's ***** on TW PGA Tour 2006 on XBox and Roger's butt on XBox's Top Spin 2 and PSP's Virtua Tennis

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Do you consider Agassi better than Sampras? Agassi won the grand slam, .
    Correct me if I am wrong but Agasi has never won the grand slam. He may have won each event but no one has won the Grand slam in tennis since Rod Laver(twice). And as in Golf and not to take anything away from Laver (a true gentleman by the way- I was a ball boy growing up and saw him play many times) the competition in his days was not as fierce. Nowadays the 100th ranked player in the world can take the number 1 on a given day. Not back then though.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Correct me if I am wrong but Agasi has never won the grand slam. He may have won each event but no one has won the Grand slam in tennis since Rod Laver(twice). And as in Golf and not to take anything away from Laver (a true gentleman by the way- I was a ball boy growing up and saw him play many times) the competition in his days was not as fierce. Nowadays the 100th ranked player in the world can take the number 1 on a given day. Not back then though.
    Agassi won Wimbledon in '92, Roland Garros in '99, Australian Open in '95, '00, '01 and '03 and the US Open in '94 and '99. At first i didn't think he has won all 4 either.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure if this was asked on a tennis forum, it would go the other way.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Agassi won Wimbledon in '92, Roland Garros in '99, Australian Open in '95, '00, '01 and '03 and the US Open in '94 and '99. At first i didn't think he has won all 4 either.
    Not in a row. A grand slam is 4 in a row within the same year.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    I'm pretty sure if this was asked on a tennis forum, it would go the other way.

Who's the greatest football player in this era? TO?
    Mahatma Gandhi

He won the career grand slam, an outstanding achievement in tennis as well.

No question Joe Montana, no one can debate that. Second would be Barry Sanders. Third Jerry Rice. That's in stone!!!!!!!!!

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    Tiger's match play as a professional (what actually matters) is less impressive, and the comment was made as a fleeting joke anyway. Regardless, I don't think there's a compelling argument either way; however, Federer is a lot closer to becomming the all-time tennis major winner (a lot closer than Woods) and is six years younger. Just a thought.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    He won the career grand slam, an outstanding achievement in tennis as well.
    Yep, only four have ever done it. It was the one thing he could hold over Sampras' head.

Quote Originally Posted by SGH
    Tiger's match play as a professional (what actually matters) is less impressive, and the comment was made as a fleeting joke anyway. Regardless, I don't think there's a compelling argument either way; however, Federer is a lot closer to becomming the all-time tennis major winner (a lot closer than Woods) and is six years younger. Just a thought.
    Tiger isn't in his prime yet - the 30's are the prime age for golfers, Tennis players are broken down shells of men by the time they hit 32-34 (well maybe not that bad but they sure don't have the shelf life of a pro golfer).

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    SGH in golf matchplay doesn't mean anything. It's you against the course

Tiger's match play as a professional (what actually matters)
    There is this fellow who had a pretty good amateur match play record, what was his name, ummmm - oh yeah, Bobby Jones........me thinks the amateur record counts

How does Bobby Jones' record as an amateur have anything to do with this? To be dominate, you must beat the best in the world, not in your age group. I'm just suggesting that Tiger's inability to dominate at team events and match play is a weakness, similar to Fed's inability to win the French.

How does Bobby Jones' record as an amateur have anything to do with this? To be dominate, you must beat the best in the world, not in your age group. I'm just suggesting that Tiger's inability to dominate at team events and match play is a weakness, similar to Fed's inability to win the French.
    But he HAS won the World Match Play Championship as a pro

I think that we are spinning in circles here my friend, you punch and I counter-punch

...and there is no Professionally sanctioned "Team" golf event that I'm aware of.

The Ryder Cup and President's Cup are for bragging rights

Yeah, true. I just like to debate because I get so sick of NA's narrow opinion on sports. Federer is absolutely tearing it up, but no one seems to care - yet Woods shoots a 66 and the place goes nuts.

And I wonder what the Euros would say about the Ryder Cup being only about bragging rights.

Yeah, true. I just like to debate because I get so sick of NA's narrow opinion on sports. Federer is absolutely tearing it up, but no one seems to care - yet Woods shoots a 66 and the place goes nuts.

And I wonder what the Euros would say about the Ryder Cup being only about bragging rights.
    LOL - don't pick in the Euros - it isn't their fault that they don't have anyone who can get it done in the Majors - you have to give them something to feel good about in the game of golf

hahaha, true enough - good point. Gives Sergio and Monty their time to shine every two years.

hahaha, true enough - good point. Gives Sergio and Monty their time to shine every two years.
    I'd like to see a 3-way event US vs. Europe vs. Rest of the World - don't ask me how you'd do it (skins format maybe) but I bet that would be a lot more exciting that what we've seen lately in the Ryder and President's cups

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    I'd like to see a 3-way event US vs. Europe vs. Rest of the World - don't ask me how you'd do it (skins format maybe) but I bet that would be a lot more exciting that what we've seen lately in the Ryder and President's cups
    Perhaps make it N. America vs Europe?? Instead of Wetterich and Johnson, you would have had Weir and Ames, that might have given the US that little extra, although it wouldn't have been enough anyway!!!

Ya, but could you really see yourself OBLIGED to cheer for the States? I think I'd have to 'misplace' my canadian passport for that weekend and stick with the British one.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road

Tough question

Great thread.

They are both so dominant right now, really hard to compare.

It would be Federer if he could win on clay. I don't buy the argument that Tiger can't win on certain courses. Tiger has won on all types of Golf courses, in many different ways. Rolland Garros is not Federer's kryptonite, Red Clay is. Federer not winning a French is just like Tiger not winning the British, but he's one that 3 times.

On hardcourt or grass Federer is the best ever. In grand slams not named the "French Open" he has won 8/9. If he starts winning Frenches than I'll say he's more dominant. But for now I'll call it a draw.

first tennis player to win 10 tournaments in 3 consecutive years.

I'm bringing this back because of this morning's total domination over Andy Roddick. Federer is the most dominant athlete in any sport, period. Tiger is the Federer of the PGA Tour, but he isn't on the level that Federer is at. If Federer was an american, my lord, he would destroy the endorsement contracts that Agassi had and would be right up there with Woods and Nike.
    It's funny the little similarities...
    Woods = Federer
    Mickelson = A plumper Roddick
    Garcia (1999) = Nadal (minus the one major)

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I'm bringing this back because of this morning's total domination over Andy Roddick. Federer is the most dominant athlete in any sport, period. Tiger is the Federer of the PGA Tour, but he isn't on the level that Federer is at. If Federer was an american, my lord, he would destroy the endorsement contracts that Agassi had and would be right up there with Woods and Nike.
    It's funny the little similarities...
    Woods = Federer
    Mickelson = A plumper Roddick
    Garcia (1999) = Nadal (minus the one major)
    I have always said this about Feds, if he was american he would be right up there with Tiger, for the simple fact that tennis courts are much more excessible to kids, and a much, much cheaper sport so almost any kid could play.

There is no doubt that both Tiger and Feds will rule their respective sports, but i think Feds will be looked at as much more dominating. The guy just doesn't lose, only lost what 5 times in the past 13months? He totally destroyed Roddick today, i just could not believe how bad he killed Andy, it was like Federer vs Me in tennis, just not even close to the same level. If you watched that game and did not know who either were, you would think Feds was the best player in the world, and Roddick was a maybe top 100 player, not a top 5 like he actually is. Hopefully Gonzalez makes the finals because i think he matches much better than Haas does against Feds.

Again, apples and oranges - both are THE dominant force in their respective sports but I think it is impossible to compare the two...

Thread Information