100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Club fitting...

"Richard"

Club fitting...

a friend of mine refuses to get fit for a shaft so I'm going to fit him myself by watching him swing....

This is what I found. His ball flight is way to low, he swings around 105mph and has a bit of an inside out swing...

So, I told him to get a 9.5* driver but use a shaft that will get the ball up.. like an NVS or a prolaunch. Should he consider a 10.5 with his swing speed?

Right now he is using a 9.5 with a shaf that keeps the ball low, and has a stiff tip...

"Richard"
    actually I changed my mind, 10.5 soft tip stiff flex 75g shaft

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Try the 10.5 or higher first. Clubhead loft has more effect.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The blind leading the blind........

He should be using at least 10.5 unless he is hitting the ball on the upswing. The NVS is a nice shaft. I've never liked the ProLaunch myself but lots of others do.

That being said anything you put in will probably be a crap shoot. You could even put in an R for him and just cover the R with marker and tell him it's X so he feels better.

"Richard"
    yeah that is what I was thinking to.. can anyone recommend a shaft? This guy is HUGE! 260lbs, would almost have to go atleast 75g right?

"Richard"
    haha, so true... I no nothing, that is why I'm posting. Anyway, J, why do you say the shaft flex doesn't matter? the guy is a stiff for sure...

"Stiff" is an arbitrary label. Haven't you been reading what myself, BCMist, and others have been saying?

I swing in the 100-105 range and have had anywhere from softer than R to X in my driver. A lot depends on what part of the shaft (butt vs mid section vs tip) is stiffer relative to other shafts.

You buddy's swing type also matters. If he has a short quick swing then he might need an "X". If he has a long, fluid swing then "R" may feel better to him.

Like I said, it's a bit of a crapshoot.

"Richard"
    long and fluid... like I said, he is huge so he has a really wide swing arc!!

So, when comparing the stiffness of one shaft to another, what numbers should I look at in the specs of the shaft?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    If he slices/fade go with regular. If he hooks/draws go with xstiff.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Richard"
    5 yard draw right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    5 yard draw right now...
    What kind of driver does he have right now?
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Richard"
    callaway BB454 firm flex

Before you go through all that have him tee the ball higher first. that right there could solve his problem. A lot of people are still teeing it as it they were using old persimmons.
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Richard"
    already did that, he is hitting worm burners

Is he making good contact and staying down or is he coming up on the shot?
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Richard"
    yup, he is a 20 capper, hits the ball really far but this driver/shaft combo just isn't working for him. His TM r580xd with mas2 shaft was much better for him

If you want to try a cheap, but good shaft, look for a Mercury Tour Pro Kevlar in R-flex. I just put one of those in my backup driver and it feels pretty nice.

My gamer has a Sabre 75 S-flex in it. Also a very nice shaft. I'm generally a low ball hitter with the driver and I get a very nice trajectory with the Sabre.

"Richard"
    he is rich.. he can afford whatever is best for him... just to stupid to go get shaft tested

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    yup, he is a 20 capper, hits the ball really far but this driver/shaft combo just isn't working for him. His TM r580xd with mas2 shaft was much better for him
    Maybe it's the wine, but something here does not add up.

You say he swings at 105 mph, has an inside path to the ball and hits a 5 yard draw. BUT HE HAS A 20 HANDICAP. If I had a "5 yard draw" I would be a +6.

And what good is a "wide arc?"

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    yeah that is what I was thinking to.. can anyone recommend a shaft? This guy is HUGE! 260lbs, would almost have to go atleast 75g right?
    I'm 260 I wouldn't say HUGE.....

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

You say he swings at 105 mph, has an inside path to the ball and hits a 5 yard draw. BUT HE HAS A 20 HANDICAP. If I had a "5 yard draw" I would be a +6.

So if you only hit a 5 yard draw you would shoot 6 over is what you are saying? Maybe I misunderstood, but if not, that's a bit of a ridiculous comment from someone who knows quite a bit about the game.

I could hit the ball right down the middle and still putt like a blind man or have a horrible short game.

A straight driver WILL NOT always equate to a low handicapper.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    So if you only hit a 5 yard draw you would shoot 6 over is what you are saying? Maybe I misunderstood, but if not, that's a bit of a ridiculous comment from someone who knows quite a bit about the game.

I could hit the ball right down the middle and still putt like a blind man or have a horrible short game.

A straight driver WILL NOT always equate to a low handicapper.
    +6 means he would be below scratch. Tiger Woods is supposed to have the best handicap in the world and its supposed to be somewhere around +8 or so.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

A good wide arc, he is taller than most so when he gets has hands moving at the same speed as me because his swing radius is longer than mine his head would go faster.

Lyle, I can only tell you what I've seen and what he has told me. 5yrd draw sounds about round, the driver going straight is rarely a problem for this kid

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    +6 means he would be below scratch. Tiger Woods is supposed to have the best handicap in the world and its supposed to be somewhere around +8 or so.
    Well then the comment is even MORE ridiculous then.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    Well then the comment is even MORE ridiculous then.
    I think he meant if his driver was that predictable he'd be even a better player. And not that ridiculous, Lyle is already a +1 if I'm not mistaken.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    I understand what lyle is saying, with a 5yrd draw how can a guy be a 20 capper, you would be in the fairway almost everytime and it would be hard to to have such a horrible short game if you can drive so well as it is the hardest club to hit with. Not sure about the number but it makes perfect sense to me. But when I hear 20 capper that to me means he shoots 88 from the whites at most courses which is about right

I understand what lyle is saying, with a 5yrd draw how can a guy be a 20 capper, you would be in the fairway almost everytime and it would be hard to to have such a horrible short game if you can drive so well as it is the hardest club to hit with. Not sure about the number but it makes perfect sense to me. But when I hear 20 capper that to me means he shoots 88 from the whites at most courses which is about right
    Uhhh...It's not that uncommon for someone to shoot in the low 90's with a decent game off the tee. I can count on two hands the number of people who hit the ball straight I play with but can't break 90.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    I would tell yoru friend to ignore anything you tell him and to do what he likes, why would someone who does not know how to fit someone offer to do it? makes no sense again!

"Richard"
    Have I told him anything that is wrong so far? Hey my ball flight is to low... get more loft, get a shaft that gets the ball into the air. Looks like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed buddy

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    no, but you are not a club fitter, just like i am not a doctor, so i would not offer advice to soemone on heart surgery. even if i might think it is true based onsoemthign i have read or heard.

therer are far more variables then just "get more loft" and a shaft. stance, driver size, ball type, swing pattern, torguw on and on, a professional is just that, a pro, they know what they are doing,

like i said, iwould tell him to tal to one of them, not to you.

nothing personal, just my 2 cents

Thread Information