CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2 Iron Solo II guy is on a distinguished road

Hit anyone and asked for your ball back?

At first I thought it was a fluke occurance, but it happened again today. No need to name the course because it's not their fault.

The first time it happened was about a month ago. We were stuck behind a tournament at a 7 hour pace. Every hole after the 2nd, we would be the second group waiting to tee off. So naturally the group behind us had lots of opportunity to sit and wait with us as we watched the group in front of us tee off. BUT bY the time we turned the front 9, the group behind us had hit their ball into us at least 3 times. Both times landing within 10 yards. On the THIRD time, the ball went past our legs mid bounce, I went up to the ball and stepped on it hard, burying it. I thought to myself that I perhaps had stepped on it too much, and they won't even see it. Thus losing the comedic effect. The guy had the nerve to come up to us on the next hole and ask if we had picked up their ball. We asked it that would be the ball that almost hit us, and incredulously he said "Yes, that's it" in an excited tone. I yelled at him and told him I did not pick up his ball.

The same thing happed again today. Less of a wait, but basically a 5 hour pace from the 7th hole. We had done the first 6 holes in 1hr 10 mins, so I know we are not slow golfers by any means. So from the 7th it was bumper to bumper. The group behind sent it over my wife's head on the 15th. We were only 190 yards from the tee box (360 yd straight par 4) and the group in front had just gotten off the green. I did the same thing and stepped on their ball. And again, this guy had the nerve to ask us if we had seen his ball. He was pissed when he later saw what I had done to his ball and we had words. He basicallly admitted that he was just trying to push us along. He did not "realize" people were in front of us, even though they should have been within eyesight on a few holes. They did not even yell FORE. they then proceeded to try and lecture me on etiquette, and how I should let them play through as they were faster !!!??? They wouldn't admit that I was basically waiting as long as they were. I almost lost it at this point and wanted to pull a Jack Nicholson.

I'm no saint and have sent an errant ball the odd time too far (never on purpose) or in the next fairway, but I always yell FORE. But when I almost hit people I NEVER expect my ball back. Are these people on crack or is it just me Why would you ever ask for your ball back?
    Last edited by Solo II guy; 09-27-2006 at 11:51 PM.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Yep--it takes all kinds--I think you did right, next time dont put so much pressure on the ball--put more weight on your standing leg and I think you should get a decent plug
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I would have taken ball. He was obviously trying to give it to you.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Anyone who intentionally hits into you is risking serious injury, and is, without question, a total imbecile.

I've never found a good remedy, as people that dumb don't seem to learn. The peanut butter thing is senseless, as others pay for it.

Reporting to the clubhouse seems to do nothing.

Personally, once I can forgive (especially a rolling ball, I don't care), But something like you describe, an intentional hit that goes over someone's head, with no fore, then I would take that ball and any ball that comes near me. If they come to challenge me, then they're getting a shot in the head.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    First time may be excusable , but the next is definitley not, i would be having words with these dudes , and if it happened again , i would tee up the ball and hit it back at them. But that of course depends on how big he is and how many mates he has with him ,and if his car is faster than mine !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

2 Iron Solo II guy is on a distinguished road
    It's weird. I kind of expect people to hit the occasional one too close, but I never would have thought in a million years that they would have the gall to ask for the ball back after they almost bean me. Especially when I am a good 50lbs bigger and look very enraged.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I guess I scared them, but I once got a foursome to shy away when I approached them about their shots getting too close. And by no means am I intimidating in stature.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    next time someone hits into me I'm just going to tee it up and hit it right at them... the ball will probably find the OB stakes and the guy will be out a ball

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    next time someone hits into me I'm just going to tee it up and hit it right at them... the ball will probably find the OB stakes and the guy will be out a ball
    Not always the best retaliation. You are now doing what you were getting mad at them for. If you must hit their ball, how about into a water hazard, or into an adjacent field? A much safer alternative to hitting back at them. You then bring in the risk of hitting other innocent bystanders if you hit the ball bact at the other people.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    You then bring in the risk of hitting other innocent bystanders if you hit the ball bact at the other people.
    Are you calling me a slicer??

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Are you calling me a slicer??
    No, but you never know what could happen.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I think I'm a reserved gent but if someone hits it into me or what i consider danger zone and I don't hear a loud FORE and I go up to them and let them know a) how close it came, b) that i don't appreciate nothearing FORE and ask if they are aware of how that courtesy works and c) so this won't happen again correct?

Then politely leave. I've made the error of hitting into a group i was behind these bushes and hit a pure 5 iron. Just my luck i twas 4 burly lumberjack guys that told me if it had hit them they would of hit my face w/ a driver. You don't have to be that rude but you have to let them know that if they had hit yhou in the face a sorry just wouldn't cut it so smarten up.

Mike999
    *shudder* that reminds me of the scariest thing ive ever done at a course. Sometime in July at Glen Mar, myself and my father were paired up with a fairly elderly oriental couple. They were quite good at the game, were getting quite frustrated with us. (We tried to split up, but if you've ever played Glen Mar on a weekend morning, they overbook quite a lot, and it feels like you are a sardine for most of the round). Anyways, I think it was the 14th hole, the two of them teed off, then it was my turn, and to my dismay they started walking ahead on the cart path.

I yelled to them telling them to look out, and they said they would be fine, and to go ahead....so I did, and i hit the ball at the heel of the club and it was like a laser beam, shooting hard left and at head level. Luckily he was behind this little 1/3 grown maple tree at the split second, and the ball riccochetted off the tree and back at me, nearly hitting me.

yeah.....scary. It definitely would have been lights out, or worse had I hit him.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Some couple did that to me recently it came yards from us so I did what I posted above only got no reply to c. Then when they drove up to get it they woudn't even look at us just picked it up and left. Some people have no manners. Sorry for politely letting you know you should notify me if your stray golf ball comes into a zone that could seriously impact my health for the rest of my life if not kill me. I've been hit in the back of the head w/ a golf ball .From a wedge 10 feet away and it HURT I can't imagine getting a long bomber frmo the sky to the face or anywhere!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    If someone hits into me more than once and it's obvious that we can't go faster I'll just pitch his ball back down the fairway with a wedge, about 30 yards or so, not a great distance but enough to catch your attention. If they ask "did you hit my ball" I reply I don't know "Did you hit into us twice, knowing that we are waiting every shot just like you?" usually the point is taken and that's it. I didn't hurt their ball and a loss of 30 yards on your drive isn't worth it.

Lob Wedge Dez is on a distinguished road
    Keep a fine-tip magic marker with you and when it happens just write what you think of the guy on his ball. He's got some nerve lecturing you on etiquette when he's hitting into your group. There's no reason for that except pure ignorance of etiquette himself.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I usually step on their balls too.

Is there any financial recourse if someone gets serious injured from being hit with a golf ball?

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    Is there any financial recourse if someone gets serious injured from being hit with a golf ball?
    Against who?

The course? No.

The one that hit the ball? Depends on your lawyer, and the witnesses, I guess.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I was golfing with this guy from South Korea and we were comparing golf in Canada and his homeland. He asked if we had liability insurance for personal injury and property damage while on the golf course. I didn't know what recourse we had in Canada. The insurance you can purchase in South Korea also covers a hole-in-one...the custom if you get an ace is to pay for the round of golf of your playing partners which can be $300 to $600 each.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    If you have home owner's or tenants or condo owners insurance, your liability for your personal actions on the golf course (unless you are a professional) is insured.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    If you have home owner's or tenants or condo owners insurance, your liability for your personal actions on the golf course (unless you are a professional) is insured.
    Even if I decide that the wind has picked up just enough to hit driver on a 132 yard Par 3?... Come on, it was "Swirling"
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    My lawyer, Lionel Hutz, informed me if you yell fore you cannot be sued, if you fail to yell fore, you can be. Lionel says : don't be embarrassed to yell fore
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There have been a few of cases go to court in the last couple of years. Short answer, it depends.

Somewhat longer answer is that the courts will look at all the circumstances, and each case will be judged on it's own merits. Factors that are usually mentioned are:

- Intent of the golfer
    - Skill of the golfer
    - Was a warning give (aka FORE!)
    - Was the person hit visible to the golfer
    - Layout of the course
    - etc, etc.

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    - Intent of the golfer
    - Skill of the golfer
    - Was a warning give (aka FORE!)
    - Was the person hit visible to the golfer
    - Layout of the course
    - etc, etc.
    Here's the two most important points pertaining to this incident.

After repeatedly hitting into the group ahead, if the guy had admitted to doing it on purpose and was lippy about it he'd get his ball back.

With my fist wrapped around it like it was a roll of quarters.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    First time, ok, he hit a longer drive, 2nd time is pushing it, 3rd time I take my PW and send it in the nearby hazard/wood.

At Vieux Moulin just last week, my buddy and I were putting the pin back in the hole on 12 when we hear FORE coming from the 15th tee (for anyone that ever played it, the green/fairway of 12 is the landing zone for the slicers on the 15th tee), but to land it on the green, you have to get one of those incredible slice... Anyway, we just kind of covered our heads, my buddy still with the flag in his hand when the ball landed 30 cm from his left calf and bounced right through his legs. The ball left such a HUGE mark on the green. Seconds later, we see the guy coming with his cart, actually rolling on the fringe/green with the cart, stopping the cart on a sidehill 4-5 feets from the green, apologizing, hitting his ball in the woods, not repairing his ball mark even though I pointed it to him and told him how close he came to knocking out cold my buddy. At least he yelled FORE...

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    My lawyer, Lionel Hutz, informed me if you yell fore you cannot be sued, if you fail to yell fore, you can be. Lionel says : don't be embarrassed to yell fore
    Well, a couple of weeks ago, this group behind us shot a ball right onto the green while we were putting. It was a par 5, he must have thought he couldn't reach it, we could see them clearly inside the 200 yds marker. Looked back still didn't hear a word from them. One of our foursome picked it up and "placed it" in a groundhog hole. We went to next tee and could see the guy walked up pass the green. He likely assumed the ball sailed the green and thus no need to yell fore. Unbelievable!
    Last edited by Eldred; 09-28-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I was hit in the thigh by a drive on the fly. It came from the facing tee and sailed right through the front of the cart and into my lap. Could have been much worse, but I tell you it hurt!

He was a player in our tournament and he was pretty upset. He bought me a beer after and it was all good.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    Well, a couple of weeks ago, this group behind us shot a ball right onto the green while we were putting. It was a par 5, he must have thought I couldn't reach it, we could see them clearly inside the 200 yds marker. Looked back still didn't hear a word from them. One of our foursome picked it up and "placed it" in a groundhog hole. We went to next tee and could see the guy walked up pass the green. He likely assumed the ball sailed the green and thus no need to yell fore. Unbelievable!
    Did the ball simply roll up on the green or did it land on the green? If it just rolled up, why make a big deal. Maybe he didn't yell fore as he didn't want to interupt your putting. Maybe it was a once in a lifetime shot for a beginner golfer who usually does not hit it more than 150 yards. Why not just leave the ball where it was... or mark it if it was in your way. Why mess up someone elses game just for a simple mistake/exceptional shot.

I have had balls roll up on me while on the green and my first thought is wow, great shot! Why get confrontational? People need to learn to relax a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I was hit in the thigh by a drive on the fly. It came from the facing tee and sailed right through the front of the cart and into my lap. Could have been much worse, but I tell you it hurt!

He was a player in our tournament and he was pretty upset. He bought me a beer after and it was all good.
    The price you pay for giving thothto a mulligan..

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Did the ball simply roll up on the green or did it land on the green? If it just rolled up, why make a big deal. Maybe he didn't yell fore as he didn't want to interupt your putting. Maybe it was a once in a lifetime shot for a beginner golfer who usually does not hit it more than 150 yards. Why not just leave the ball where it was... or mark it if it was in your way. Why mess up someone elses game just for a simple mistake/exceptional shot.

I have had balls roll up on me while on the green and my first thought is wow, great shot! Why get confrontational? People need to learn to relax a little bit.
    We could see the ball mark so it definitely wasn't rolled up. I was pretty relax, infact my wife and I were celebrating our 10th anniversary at the resort that weekend. BTW it was Saturday and quiet busy, every group had to wait. So I don't understand your comment him didn't want to interrupt our putting by letting his ball nearly hitting our group? I guess you have to be there to realized we weren't trying to mess his game...

Thread Information