CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    1 Iron manitoulin is on a distinguished road manitoulin's Avatar

Golf exerise what is the best thing to do?

I would like to know what is the best and only exerise to do during this soon to be off season. situps??????????Jogging????????? Tell me what you think. I don't what to hear about a full body work out.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    jogging works for me, 3 stories here so up and down the stairs from office to workshop keeps my legs and cardio going during the winter.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

"Richard"
    just keep exercising your fingers like you are doing

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    buy an exercise ball and do a couple hundred situps a day. Vary them, too - do regular crunches one day, do them on an angle the next day to work the obliques, etc. Great for golf - work out the core and all the stabilizers, so its great for balance as well as strength. Now if only I would practise what i preach

"Richard"
    i posted a golf workout a while ago, it was awesome, to bad i didn't stick with it. search for it and give it a try

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I agree with the exercise ball. You can do tons of core strengthening routines on that ball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I swing a weighted club (Steel screw in a ball on a short shaft, $15.00 at walmart), it stretches and strengthens you up, its easy, you can do it in the house, takes no time, what more can one ask for.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    buy an exercise ball and do a couple hundred situps a day. Vary them, too - do regular crunches one day, do them on an angle the next day to work the obliques, etc. Great for golf - work out the core and all the stabilizers, so its great for balance as well as strength. Now if only I would practise what i preach
    Lol a few hundred is quite ambitious!! I did the 20 the other night lemme tell ya!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    i posted a golf workout a while ago, it was awesome, to bad i didn't stick with it. search for it and give it a try
    You should find it and post it here. Someone may actually commit to it You should if you ever want to beat Dan!

3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar
    Heres a good site with info on fitness related to the golf swing. It has some good core stretching excercises.

http://golf.about.com/od/golftips/a/tips_healthcare.htm
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Pitching Wedge Del Delaplante is on a distinguished road Del Delaplante's Avatar

Swing Flexability

Heres one I just heard of tonight. Take a position approximatly a foot and a half from a wall. Put both hands up in front of their respective shoulders. Turn the body to the RIGHT and touch the wall behind you with BOTH hands. Swing the body through to the LEFT and again touch the wall behind you. Continue doing this for 15 repetitions. Do 3 sets of 15.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    All good advice but make sure that you do "balanced" core exercises. Work the back AND six-pack equally. Same principle as hams/quads and biceps/triceps. They must be worked equally or the imbalance will come back to haunt you some day, probably at the furthest spot on the course from the club house. Lots of "ball" exercises for both and easy to do. More important than the strength exercises, as you age, are the stretching exercises keeping your swing long and fluid.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Remember to do your Cardio workouts too. All the big shooters on tour do lots of cardio work. Plus cardio helps keep the pounds off. That might not be a problem for young studs like "RICHARD" but us guys past 50 need to wary of it! I know I do, and I am doing more cardio workouts now. Try the eliptical machine for 30 minutes at a high rate, quaranteed you'll be sweating when you get off that thing!

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/

Swinging the weighted clubs is good too. A friend of mine told me that he knows a guy who did that every day during the winter a couple of years ago. Claimed the guy gained swing speed and distance off the tee in the spring.

There is a weight machine at my company gym that allows me to simulate my golf swing, from the top down. So it is like starting my downward motion in my swing. Hold onto the small bar and pull down the weights. The instructor told us that would be a good strength excercise for golf swings. Then after doing those reps, the machine can be adjusted so it is like your swing has got to the ball, and you are swinging right through the ball, while pulling the weights. I can see an additional 15 yards coming next spring Hopefully those extra yards come in the fairway I am doing 8 various weight lifting routines. Not heavy weights either. Just enough to make my muscles work. I do not want to bulk up like the HULK. I just want to strengthen the muscles and stay flexible.

If you do not have the chance to work out at a gym, then WALK WALK WALK. Go out for as many walks as you can during the winter months. If you do not like walking in the cold air (I know I didn't last year. But that might have had something to do with my bad heart too) then walk in the malls like the seniors do. The new arena in my city has rubber matting all around the top walkway. 5 laps = one km. In the winter lots of people are in there at night walking. Any walking you can do is sure better than laying on the coach all winter.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Excessive exercise accelerates aging

When I get the urge to exercise, I lie down and wait for it to pass. Latest medical research indicates that stringent dieting and vigorous cardiovascular exercise accelerates the aging process.

I believe in swinging a weighted club, and for the ambitious, gentle beginner's yoga.

"Richard"
    do crunches and squats. Become more flex. as well

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    When I get the urge to exercise, I lie down and wait for it to pass. Latest medical research indicates that stringent dieting and vigorous cardiovascular exercise accelerates the aging process.

I believe in swinging a weighted club, and for the ambitious, gentle beginner's yoga.
    I tried that method you mentioned. Worked great. Until it lead to a heart attack, which in turn lead to a double by pass!
    NOT GOOD NOT GOOD!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by "Richard"
    do crunches and squats. Become more flex. as well

In your case "RICHARD" are crunches and squats some new University Drink we don't know about? Containing peanut better maybe?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

(quote=Golfbum;141005]I tried that method you mentioned. Worked great. Until it lead to a heart attack, which in turn lead to a double by pass!
    NOT GOOD NOT GOOD!)

In 1996 I had a serious heart attack, nearly died. Had emergency open heart surgery, five bypasses. Lost my career, went through my retirement savings, finally lost my home. Best think that ever happened to me, in hindsight, as we relocated to my wife's home town in Canada in July of 2001 to start over. I hope to get my Canadian citizenship within a few months.

Today I am thirty pounds lighter, never have more than 1 or 2 beers per week. My job in a warehouse gives me all the exercise I can handle. Lots of walking, bending, stooping, lifting 40-50 pound boxes of books all day. I have learned that I have a finite amount of energy to spend each day. It's like starting each day with $20 in your pocket. You will get no more money for 24 hours, so you better spend it wisely.

Pitching Wedge Del Delaplante is on a distinguished road Del Delaplante's Avatar

$20

Agree whole heartidly with exercise. Took up walking the course instead of carting it. Joined the "Y" and had the trainer set up a routine to help keep this beat up old frame in shape for the start of the golf season next year. The problem if any, is the $20 you talk about, seems that 20 dollars just does'nt go as far these days.... like my drives in particular....

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I beleive that you are born with a certain amount of energy and once you use up that energy you die. At the rate I expend energy these days, I should live to one hundred easily.

Gap Wedge shotpar is on a distinguished road shotpar's Avatar

exercise.

Play hockey, hockey and more hockey!!
    You can never golf too much. What was that dear? Oh okay. Maybe you can.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'm sorry rrh7 but i have a hard time believing that exercise makes you age faster while i have definitely heard the complete opposite!! Exercise away it's amazing for your body and soul!

What are you looking for over the winter manitoulin? To shed pounds, increase your cardio abilities, strengthen or do you just want one exercise to do?

Exercise, health, and aging: a need for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm sorry rrh7 but i have a hard time believing that exercise makes you age faster while i have definitely heard the complete opposite!! Exercise away it's amazing for your body and soul!

What are you looking for over the winter manitoulin? To shed pounds, increase your cardio abilities, strengthen or do you just want one exercise to do?
    "Vigorous exercise is currently being encouraged for health maintenance. There is much evidence that a moderate amount of exercise is needed for the maintenance of functional integrity of the cardiovascular system, muscles, bones, and ligaments. There is also fragmentary evidence of a preliminary nature suggesting that regularly performed exercise may protect against and have beneficial effects on coronary artery disease, diabetes, and hypertension.

However, the scientific evidence that strenuous exercise has long-term health benefits or slows aging is meager and unconvincing.

Even in the case of coronary artery disease, diabetes, and hypertension, the majority of studies have provided either negative or inconclusive results or have resulted in only minor improvements.

Taken together, available evidence is inadequate to serve as a basis for recommending regular participation in strenuous exercise for middle-aged and older individuals.

This is particularly true because the theories that exercise may accelerate the aging process as a result of increases in metabolic rate and stress hormone production have never been disproved."

see PubMed.com on Medical Science & Sports Exercise:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    That basically sounds like theory to me, nothing is really being proven is it?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    When I first read this, I said WOW! All the hard work I've been doing to keep in shape for the last 27 years was for naught, then I read it again. There is one word in what rhh7 is saying that is significant. That word is "strenuous". Not even elite atheletes do "strenuous" exercise all the time. You can over exercise and if you do so you do run the risk of hurting yourself, maybe even permanently. The heart is a muscle, and to over work it on a continuous basis will damage it. I don't think that he is saying "NO" exercise, but if he is then I expect the forum will respond accordingly. For those who have exercised all their lives (I wish) then keep doing what you're doing, for those new to exercise - I only began at age 29 - then do what all the ads say "consult your physician". There are a many levels of exercise that will do certain things, maintenance - if you are fit already - burn fat, or improve your cardio. Extra benefits are better quality of life. You may not live longer, but your quality of life will improve. I look around at my friends, colleagues and neighbors. Those that exercise regularly and appropriately have better lives, and to me they do look younger than their age.

5 Iron themob is on a distinguished road
    This may be one of the most pointless questions ever.

The only true answer would be to swing a weighted club if you want to do only 1 movement.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    this year is my getting in shape year, not only for the golf course but i think i need it. i run 5 miles a day 4 days a week, and ALOT or core body workouts, bicepts, trisepts, pecks, upper and lower abs. but i have a feeling that doing all of this, and having put on 5 pounds of muscle already its gonna change my golf swing slightly... hopfully give me some more power....

5 Iron themob is on a distinguished road
    How do you define power?

More muscle definately does not mean any of the following:
    • higher ball speed
    • higher clubhead speed
    • better balance
    • better flexibility
    • more strength

Those are things that will enable you to hit the ball farther. The one thing gained by having more body mass is that you will have a higher moment of inertia. This helps stability and thats about it. But the nature of this mass, ie muscle or fat is irrelevant.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    diggity (i agree). im not looking to increase my club head speed at all... i think im as fast as i can be now while still holding some control... i mean power as in ball striking, like being able to drive harder and more consistanty into the backside of a goldball i agree that mass be it muscle or fat is irrelevant becuase mass is mass. but i will say im doing this more for the chicks than my golf game, i just wanted to share... chicks dig the 6 pack

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Is hitting 13 large buckets of balls in one session at the driving range considered strenuous??? Ah oh....I'll drop down to 5 I figured the more balls I hit at the driving range the less my wallet weighs so that's less weight on my legs, well at least till payday

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Debate

This thread could go a long time. Personally I know that strength training has a secondary cardio benefit but is no replacement for regular cardio training, you need both!. I beleive the best way to keep feeling good throughout the years is to keep your body limber & strong and your heart fit. My wife bought me a terrific DVD training video which helps strengthen through exercises (resistance) and stretching. Once you finish the routine you are sweating and your heart is a pumping. Add to this a little strength training with resistance bands and I think any one would be very happy with their results. I also play about 4½ hours of badminton/week which helps out.

http://www.coreperformance.com/

All of this advice is great but age will always rear its ugly head, but there is no better feeling than hearing a younger person say, man, I hope that I am in as good a shape when I am your age!!
    Last edited by leftylucas; 12-01-2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information