100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Never played golf this late into the season

I've never played past september but I still have 5 rounds left that I have scheduled with friends in toronto and niagra. So, any tips on rounds in the cold??? What to bring, survival tips? ect

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Only thing you need to know, wear layers (nothing to restrict your movement) so you can take jackets or sweaters off as you/the day gets warmer. Or tee off later so its not so cold. That's all you need to know about fall golf. The ball will fly shorter distances, but other than that, just like golf any other time of the year.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    One good tip is always keep two golf balls in your pockets. Change ball at every hole. Your body temperature will keep the ball hot thus fly better and longer.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    I have a pair of leather rifle gloves (w/o the rifle) that have small holes for the knuckles so there are no stress points there. They are not quite as thin as golf gloves, but very soft leather, and the club feels good in my hands wearing both of them at the same time.

I enjoy having warm hands while my opponents are red from cold and white knuckles when the shoot. It also hurts a whole lot less when you make poor contact with the ball and it felt like you where hitting a rock.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Bring extra beanut butter and a portable microwave...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

1 Iron manitoulin is on a distinguished road manitoulin's Avatar
    I usually where a nice warm hat if it's cold or not. and i alway bring warm clothes with me always...always..

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Bring along a small hammer--it will be easier to put your Tee in the ground!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Come on you guys, it's a lovely time of the year to play golf. A number of us (the numbers diminish as it gets colder) play until there is a substantial amount of snow on the ground or all of the local courses are closed. More than once we've been fortunate enough to play into December. That makes the wait until the next spring that much shorter.
    Last edited by mpare; 09-26-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Is summer over?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I've never played past september but I still have 5 rounds left that I have scheduled with friends in toronto and niagra. So, any tips on rounds in the cold??? What to bring, survival tips? ect
    OK now what do you consider to be COLD WEATHER? 5C, 3C ? Man I have played when the water hazards are frozen Played in 4C temps with winds blowing!

If you think 10C is cold then you are a WUSS, send me the coupons and I will use them next week

Layer your clothing and have a good oversized wind jacket to put over top. If you want, and don't laugh cause this works. Wear a pair of ladies NYLONS (NOT FISHNETS YOU TRAMP ) Laugh all you want boys, but I read this in a fishing magazine years ago. I used to do a lot of cold water river fishing in December. I bought a pair of nylons, wore them under a pair of fleece pants and my waders and I was warm as toast.

If you have a 3 wheel cart you can buy a big pair of mitts, that velcro onto the cart handle, $25 or less. Easy to slip your hands in and out.

Like I said, I have played on some cold days, you swing slower due to more clothing and most of the time you hit the ball better because of that.

Latest I have played is Dec 12. A foot of snow the next day closed the course
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    How cool would it be to hit off a frozen water hazard
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Oddly enough 2 years ago at the course in Aylmer, gatineay I played April 14th or so and the pond was frozen. When my ball rolled across the ice and I could reach out and grab it, or attempt to go play it depending on thickness I asked if it was still a penalty? The greens were guarded by snow mounds too, in ahorseshoe shape so if you didnt come in dead on, or if you were short, your ball was in the snow!

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    How cool would it be to hit off a frozen water hazard
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Gloves like these are a must to keep your hands warm.

Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Foot Joy also makes an assortment of winter and rain golf gloves. Check out your favourite golf store.

Thread Information