CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    BG458

Gripping Down on Driver

Hi quick question is there any reason to cut a driver down an inch or two, or would gripping down on the grip an inch or two produce the same results? Thanks

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    If gripping down an inch or two gives you the right result (ie. more accuracy), then it's probably worthwhile at some point to cut down the driver. Choking down on a driver takes a bit of time to do it for every swing (I did this at the beginning of this year)....it sooner or later becomes a pain in the a**....especially if it's more than a couple of inches (2.5 inches in my case....at this point, I was almost at the end of the grip on the shaft side).

Dave

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    If you're not in danger of being past the end of the grip, I wouldn't cut it down. Then if you start to groove your swing and the club really starts working, you can let the club back out to recover some distance.

I don't think there would be any noticeable difference between cut down or not (assuming we're talking a couple of inches), other than grip comfort.

Snowman

1 Iron manitoulin is on a distinguished road manitoulin's Avatar
    grip down would be the best. because the top two inchs that are left on the club could help with momentum. I cut my drive just one inch and it ruined it it felt ten times shorter.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I drew a line on the grip of my old driver about an inch from the end and imagine this was the end of the club so I consistently choked down the correct amount. But with my current driver, I decided to cut a inch shorter and couldn't be happier. Feels much more comfortable. Depending on how much you get cut off, it will make your club feel a bit lighter.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Grip under right hand will be smaller as the shaft tapers off.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Grip under right hand will be smaller as the shaft tapers off.
    Yes....this is a significant issue especially for Winn grips IMO. I have XL-sized hands and it feels like that I am gripping a pencil. This will also be a good time to get a different set of grips, something larger than standard. So far, I am not a fan of the Winn grips.

Dave

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    The longest driver I've ever seen (honest to God he hit one 350 and averaged about 320) choked up on his club an astounding amount. His lower hand actually gripped the club on the shaft rather than the grip. I couldn't believe it!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I tried this today at the range, gripped down on my std length Ignite at 45" by an inch to inch and a half. After getting used to it, I did hit it more accurately, but definitely not as far. Lost about 30yds, but of course my margin for error was greatly reduced.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I read somewhere that shortening your driver by an inch should reduce your yardage by 7 yards. So 30 yards is a lot. I wouldn't give up the inch if I lost 30 yards. It took me a few outings to get used to the shorten club and found that I didn't lose a significant amount of yardage when I felt comfortable with it. Actually, I my average distance increased since I was hitting the sweetspot/fairways more often and my scores lowered.

You can use Tom Wishon's wrist-to-floor ratio as a guide to your optimal driver length...I know some posted the conversion chart on one of these threads. Most people fall into the 43" to 44" range.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie
    I tried this today at the range, gripped down on my std length Ignite at 45" by an inch to inch and a half. After getting used to it, I did hit it more accurately, but definitely not as far. Lost about 30yds, but of course my margin for error was greatly reduced.
    I wouldn't pass final judgment from range balls.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I'm going to give it another go next time I'm out. Plus its not as comfortable gripping down on the club, just couldn't get my hands as comfortable as normal. For me, I should be a 43" driver according the writs to floor measurements. I'm going to get a vector launch monitor profile done next year to do a full work up.

The grip can be built up under the right hand.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Pitching Wedge Del Delaplante is on a distinguished road Del Delaplante's Avatar

Shortening a Driver

Taking an inch off of your driver, relegates the driver to the same length as a 3 Wood. Measure them, 1/3/5 woods, you wont find much more then an inch difference between the lengths of a traditional set of clubs. Try driving with your 3 Wood. If you can successfully hit it straight then maybe shortening the driver to the same length will allow you to use your driver. A lot of people end up using their 3 wood to drive with, because they have a tendency to SLICE their driver. can't square up the face with that extra inch. I wouldnt shorten the driver though because sooner or later someone is going to show you how to cure that slice and that extra inch means extra yards.

Pitching Wedge Shorthitter is on a distinguished road
    The biggest issue associated with cutting down an existing driver (by more than an inch) is the change of the swing weight of course (besides the flex profile); the difference in the swing weight can definitely be felt just by gripping down, but is that a good indication (or accurate feel) of what the club would feel like if it actually got cut down and no lead tapes/glue are added? Hmm...

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Delaplante View Post
    Taking an inch off of your driver, relegates the driver to the same length as a 3 Wood. Measure them, 1/3/5 woods, you wont find much more then an inch difference between the lengths of a traditional set of clubs. Try driving with your 3 Wood. If you can successfully hit it straight then maybe shortening the driver to the same length will allow you to use your driver. A lot of people end up using their 3 wood to drive with, because they have a tendency to SLICE their driver. can't square up the face with that extra inch. I wouldnt shorten the driver though because sooner or later someone is going to show you how to cure that slice and that extra inch means extra yards.
    Del,

its not just length of the driver that effects the ball, the lesser loft of a driver will increase ones faults. A 3 wood is much more lofted thus less sidespin. I agree with the length difference being a factor, but it is just one of a few that causes difficulty with the big dog.

3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar
    I belive cutting your driver down will affect the swing weight. I spoke to a tech at GT for my 905. I decided against it as the club would be too light.
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    I read Tom Wishon's new book, "The Search For The Perfect Golf Club" several times, just before I joined this forum. Then I spent hours reading the threads here, and following the excellent links. My conclusions are as follows: my clubs need to be higher loft, shorter, more flexible, higher swingweight, untipped shafts.

So, with that in mind, I just had my clubmaker build me a 42" driver, 180cc steel head, 12 degrees loft, untipped Dynamic shaft, with tour wrap style grips. I will swingweight it at least D5. Can't wait to hit it, but we are under snow right now.

Quote Originally Posted by milner_7 View Post
    I belive cutting your driver down will affect the swing weight. I spoke to a tech at GT for my 905. I decided against it as the club would be too light.

If that is a concern the swingweight can be readjusted.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Shorthitter View Post
    The biggest issue associated with cutting down an existing driver (by more than an inch) is the change of the swing weight of course (besides the flex profile); the difference in the swing weight can definitely be felt just by gripping down, but is that a good indication (or accurate feel) of what the club would feel like if it actually got cut down and no lead tapes/glue are added? Hmm...
    If swimgweight is readjusted to original spec the club flex will change by about one cpm. In other words if you shorten a driver and add weight to the head the flex will pretty much be the same.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    I read Tom Wishon's new book, "The Search For The Perfect Golf Club" several times, just before I joined this forum. Then I spent hours reading the threads here, and following the excellent links. My conclusions are as follows: my clubs need to be higher loft, shorter, more flexible, higher swingweight, untipped shafts.

So, with that in mind, I just had my clubmaker build me a 42" driver, 180cc steel head, 12 degrees loft, untipped Dynamic shaft, with tour wrap style grips. I will swingweight it at least D5. Can't wait to hit it, but we are under snow right now.

Question about your comment about untipped shaft. What is the difference between a senior flex tipped 1 inch and a regular flex of the same brand non tipped
    Mahatma Gandhi

Untipped Dynamic Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Question about your comment about untipped shaft. What is the difference between a senior flex tipped 1 inch and a regular flex of the same brand non tipped
    According to DSFI ratings at Dynacraft site:

43" driver with Dynamic S-flex had a cpm rating of 261
    43" driver with Dynamic R-flex had a cpm rating of 250

by simple arithmetic, the untipped Dynamic shaft, in a 43" driver would have a cpm of 239.

Dynamic shafts come only in R/S, as they have a high bend point and stiff tip, unsuitable for seniors or women. As a point of interest, the Dynalite A-flex would have a cpm of 232. I think that the Dynalite A-Flex tipped 1" would have a cpm rating of 236.5. The Dynalite R/S untipped would have a cpm of 247.

So I think my driver will play like a strong A-Flex, with the stiff tip giving more resistance to my tendency to hook the ball off the planet. At least that's the plan!

But it is interesting that the Dynalite R/S untipped has a higher frequency than the Dynamic R/S untipped. The Dynalite has a low bend point and a soft tip. Hmmm...maybe that's the way I'll go. I've just about decided on the Dynalite shaft for my new irons.
    Last edited by rhh7; 11-24-2006 at 07:41 PM.

[QUOTE=rhh7;142295]According to DSFI ratings at Dynacraft site:

43" driver with Dynamic S-flex had a cpm rating of 261
    43" driver with Dynamic R-flex had a cpm rating of 250

by simple arithmetic, the untipped Dynamic shaft, in a 43" driver would have a cpm of 239.

QUOTE]

How did you come to that conclusion?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Dynamic tip trim sensitivity

I learned this from reading the Dave Tutelman articles. The tip trimming instructions for the Dynamic shaft call for a 2" tip trim to go from untipped to R-Flex, and another 2 " tip trim to go to S-Flex. Since 2" of tip trim produces a change of 11cpm, subtract 11 from the frequency of the R-Flex to get the frequency of the untipped shaft.

Depending on the shaft.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information