100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    Geoff, You....must....stay!, My sanity is involved, or at least what's still there There needs to be a steady voice of reason and maturity. So put down that Driver and that blowtorch and get back to work.
    Frank, I'm not leaving the forum, just golf courses for now. I'll do my best to keep your sanity intact for you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    'll do my best to keep your sanity intact for you.
    You seem to have failed miserably so far!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    You seem to have failed miserably so far!
    He's worried about me leaving here and then the imates will run the asylum, driving him crazy. So my long arm of the law will be firmly in place until Warden Kilbank kindly asks for my resignation.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

He's worried about me leaving here and then the imates will run the asylum, driving him crazy. So my long arm of the law will be firmly in place until Warden Kilbank kindly asks for my resignation.
    1. The inmates are alredy in control
    2. It is a short putt, not a drive for him to be crazy
    3. Why would the warden ask for a resignation, you won't be on the course as much so you will be here more! Besides, he is a smart man and knows when he has someone that is doing a half decent job!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    1. The inmates are alredy in control
    2. It is a short putt, not a drive for him to be crazy
    3. Why would the warden ask for a resignation, you won't be on the course as much so you will be here more! Besides, he is a smart man and knows when he has someone that is doing a half decent job!
    Well we're going to have to work on #1 then. Get all you yahoos back in line.

But my disinterest is for playing golf. Not hanging out here. This is too great a place to walk away from.

Mike999
    Geoff, you are probably making the best decision for now. Keyword(s): for now.

I had an eerily similar experience, although not with golf, but with bike riding. For the last 4 years I was one of those "extreme" mountain bikers, doing the Camp Fortune (chairlift up with your bike, then ride it down) thing, and it evolved into BMXing.

Early this summer biking became frustrating. All my friends had gotten a lot better than I, and I was not progressing in the sport at all, and going out for a ride became work. It has been about 3 months now since Ive gone riding at all, and I am now starting to feel the itch a little bit. Im starting to check out the local forums again, im watching movies again, and getting "more involved", although that hasnt included riding yet.

Why? Because I made the biggest mistake I could, and sold the bike....to buy golf clubs. LOL.

Anyways, in the time away Ive done a lot of other things, including take up golfing semi-seriously, and its been great. What I have found to miss the most however are the people involved in my "bike life". I miss a lot of those guys that I don't see anymore now that I don't ride. If you are anything at all like me, playing with friends will be the first thing you miss...not the golf itself.

Hopefully the itch to play with your friends will return to you

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Sounds vaguely similar to me GP. Thanks for the input. Don't know if it will be three years or three months before I play again, only time will tell.
    I could be worse Geoff, you could have been in the Top 3 Golfers in the world and only managed a 1/2 point out of a possible 5........but wait, you're not a lefty

Onwards and upwards mon ami, there are a TON of folks around here who would like nothing more than to play a round with you ASAP!

Maybe so Hack, but barring a total change of heart or a total renewal of interest in golf, I'm pretty sure Sat will be my last 27 holes of the season. They might have to wait until next year for that experience.

Well we're going to have to work on #1 then. Get all you yahoos back in line.
    Ummm, for what's its worth, I'm not real big on line dancing...

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Lawn bowling next year, Geoff?

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    Lawn bowling next year, Geoff?
    Trying to steer clear of anything that involves grass. Too many painful memories.

But the thing that frustrates me the most is that none of my buddies that are around me skill level never go through this. When they have a bad round they are only 3-5 strokes over their cap. I never see them blow up for a round 10 or more strokes over their cap like I'm doing right now. I don't see them hitting thin shot after thin shot, fat shot after fat shot like I am. Worse part is that my swing doesn't feel different. It wouldn't be so bad if something felt wrong with my swing, but everything feels as it normally does.

...my swing doesn't feel different. It wouldn't be so bad if something felt wrong with my swing, but everything feels as it normally does.
    Geoff, you know that 90% of this game is mental. I think that your problem is mental more than it is physical. After being away from the game a bit you'll be fine

Maybe so, but like others have mentioned about reciting poetry or a song before swinging to clear your thoughts I try to do the same. I don't recite anything, but I take my address position, pick my target, then clear my head of any thoughts. Guess I need a new routine because this one is obviously not working.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    geoff, if you decide to give up your moderator job until you start playing again, indio and myself will be more than happy to take over for you.
    Oh, god Geoff, please don't quit your job and let.... them take over, I could just imagine what this forum would turn into then!!! You would never ,ever punish us all like that would you Geoff!!

I'm actually talking more about the power of positive thinking......if you think you will play well you are more apt to play well. You seem really down on your game so I'd have to infer that you think you are going to play poorly.......and you end up not playing your best - Anyway, despite all of the comments, tips and thoughts posted in this thread to date (all of which were posted with the very best of intentions and in concern over a friend) the bottom line is that you need to work through this yourself - and when you do, you'll be a better player because of it

Quote Originally Posted by kerisb
    Oh, god Geoff, please don't quit your job and let.... them take over, I could just imagine what this forum would turn into then!!! You would never ,ever punish us all like that would you Geoff!!
    No worries, not giving up the mod duties. Too many great relationships here to let them dwindle away.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Geoff, you sound like a very strong minded individual, and I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the best one for you. You know that everyone in here cares about you and wishes you the best!!! If you are really that frustrated and truly don't enjoy the game anymore, then you should stop for awhile. Maybe you will play again in the spring, maybe not for many years or maybe you will never play again. But life is way to short and comes with too many stresses built into it to punish yourself by doing something you really don't want to do anymore!!! Sure am glad to hear that you are still sticking around here though!!! Good Luck Geoff hope you feel better soon!!!! Don't beat yourself up over it, it is not worth it, there are tons of other things in life to enjoy, like us your friends!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    I'm actually talking more about the power of positive thinking......if you think you will play well you are more apt to play well. You seem really down on your game so I'd have to infer that you think you are going to play poorly.......and you end up not playing your best - Anyway, despite all of the comments, tips and thoughts posted in this thread to date (all of which were posted with the very best of intentions and in concern over a friend) the bottom line is that you need to work through this yourself - and when you do, you'll be a better player because of it
    I must have a very powerful subconsious then. I head to the course each day optimistic thinking this is the day I turn it around. Then after playing about 5 or 6 holes and already being about 8-10 over I just go through the motions the rest of the round. Been tempted to quit after 9 holes recently, but keep thinking maybe I can right the ship on the back nine. But that never happens either. Oh well, maybe I'll be better off just being a rec golfer and playing only a couple times a year rather than trying to compete with single digit cappers.

maybe I'll be better off just being a rec golfer and playing only a couple times a year rather than trying to compete with single digit cappers.
    If I didn't need a step-stool to reach, I'd give you a cuff up the side of the head

You just have a lot going on bro, you might think that you are focusing, but I don't think you are......wait until you get moved and things are settled on the home front - I guarentee that the old 7-capper Geoff will return

Geoff, you sound like a very strong minded individual, and I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the best one for you. You know that everyone in here cares about you and wishes you the best!!! If you are really that frustrated and truly don't enjoy the game anymore, then you should stop for awhile. Maybe you will play again in the spring, maybe not for many years or maybe you will never play again. But life is way to short and comes with too many stresses built into it to punish yourself by doing something you really don't want to do anymore!!! Sure am glad to hear that you are still sticking around here though!!! Good Luck Geoff hope you feel better soon!!!! Don't beat yourself up over it, it is not worth it, there are tons of other things in life to enjoy, like us your friends!!!
    Exactly my point, couldn't have said it better myself. Its just a game, and why make myself so upset and frustrated??? Just not worth it. Better to just move on, either take a break and come back sometime in the future, or just stop playing all together. It going to be a long winter of thought for sure. Because if I do decide to play, will have to pick a course to play at and start saving some cash. Or look for something else to do in my free time. Shift work gives me lots of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    If I didn't need a step-stool to reach, I'd give you a cuff up the side of the head

You just have a lot going on bro, you might think that you are focusing, but I don't think you are......wait until you get moved and things are settled on the home front - I guarentee that the old 7-capper Geoff will return

I know some of you don't know me real well, but I am one of the most care free people you'll ever meet (outside of golf of course ). The move is not on my mind. I'm really excited about it and looking forward to it. Not a whole lot worries or bothers me. Kind of a trait that frustrates my girlfriend to no end. She sometimes wonders if I actually care about anything at all. I try to take that mentality to the course with me, but once the shots start going everywhere, frustration sets in and I just want to call it a day and wonder why I put myself through this everytime I play.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Trying to steer clear of anything that involves grass. Too many painful memories.
    I have not read the other 70 responses so at the risk of being repetitious, a few simple thoughts, and I hope you don't find them offensive.
    - Who I am is not determined by then scores that I make.

- After 45 years of golf I have been through many difficult, very discouraging and frustrating patches. And I never once thought about quitting. Never.

- To bad times or shots some golfers react emotionally to this kind of adversity. Whether it is swearing, throwing clubs, being rude to playing partners, these are CHOICES. Negative emotional reactions reinfoce the bad shot that preceeded it. As easy as it is to react this way, it is just as easy to react calmly.

-My reaction to bad stuff is analytical. I calmly ask, "Why?" Why did I hook, why did I 3 putt, etc., and I know enough about my game to be able to answer most of my questions. Then, I work on doing what needs to be done, only if a pattern of bad play continues. Example: One day I tripled #3 at out course. My immediate thought was, "I will be one over by 9 and even after 18," simply because I believed that I could do it. I was actually even by 9 and finished 71. I could have given up, and would probably have scored in ther 80's that day, but the thought of giving up NEVER went through my mind.

My friendly suggestions:
    -Find out why you "suck." There are only 9 ball flight patterns, some of them are good, and they all have causes. The cures to the bad ones are easier than you think, but they do take some time and perseverence.

-Stop dinking around with golf clubs. They are NOT the solution to swing problems. One set properly fitted for length and lie angle and shafts with swing speed ratings that match yours, is all you need. You have to get to know your clubs and this friendship takes time to develop. Make every club your friend but this cannot happen if you are constantly trying to make new ones.

-Get excited about your good shots and forget about the bad ones.

-Play with better players if possible and watch what they do, and determine how they think. Most are very willing to share their strategies.

-Buy the ebook, 'The Double Connexion." Learning what to think about while playing is invaluable.

There are not too many pleasures in life greater than being able to play golf in relaxing surroundings and depriving yourself of this would be shameful.

OK, where is my step-stool

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I have not read the other 70 responses so at the risk of being repetitious, a few simple thoughts, and I hope you don't find them offensive.

- After 45 years of golf I have been through many difficult, very discouraging and frustrating patches. And I never once thought about quitting. Never.

- To bad times or shots some golfers react emotionally to this kind of adversity. Whether it is swearing, throwing clubs, being rude to playing partners, these are CHOICES. Negative emotional reactions reinfoce the bad shot that preceeded it. As easy as it is to react this way, it is just as easy to react calmly.

-My reaction to bad stuff is analytical. I calmly ask, "Why?" Why did I hook, why did I 3 putt, etc., and I know enough about my game to be able to answer most of my questions. Then, I work on doing what needs to be done, only if a pattern of bad play continues. Example: One day I tripled #3 at out course. My immediate thought was, "I will be one over by 9 and even after 18," simply because I believed that I could do it. I was actually even by 9 and finished 71. I could have given up, and would probably have scored in ther 80's that day, but the thought of giving up NEVER went through my mind.

My friendly suggestions:
    -Find out why you "suck." There are only 9 ball flight patterns, some of them are good, and they all have causes. The cures to the bad ones are easier than you think, but they do take some time and perseverence.

-Stop dinking around with golf clubs. They are NOT the solution to swing problems. One set properly fitted for length and lie angle and shafts with swing speed ratings that match yours, is all you need. You have to get to know your clubs and this friendship takes time to develop. Make every club your friend but this cannot happen if you are constantly trying to make new ones.

-Play with better players if possible and watch what they do, and determine how they think. Most are very willing to share their strategies.

-Buy the ebook, 'The Double Connexion." Learning what to think about while playing is invaluable.

There are not too many pleasures in life greater than being able to play golf in relaxing surroundings and depriving yourself of this would be shameful.
    Thanks BC, all real good suggestions. And will take those into consideration.

Just one comment, you say there is 9 different ball flights. Problem is, I probably hit all 9 throughout a round of golf. I don't have one type of bad shot. One shot will be a fade, the next will be a hook. Just no consistency right now. But I will keep the other suggestions in mind.

But like everyone keeps saying, its all about having fun. And right now I am not having fun, hence the reason I am walking away from the game right now. When I think I can return to play the game and fun I will do so, but until then I don't think I'll be playing anytime soon. I think the honeymoon is over, hell, 6 years isn't bad is it????
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 09-25-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

I'll second these comments from BC.

Take this weekend for example. Played Atlantide in Montreal. Got to the 7th hole (I think) which is a nice par 3 that looks out onto the lake. Strong crosswind from the right so I say to the group, in jest, "Watch me start this one at that house and let my draw / wind bring it back." Pull 5-iron, and proceed to launch a hosel rocket at the guys house. Ooops! Everyone got a laugh, me included. Missed the house BTW.

I was +1 at the time, but I didn't let it bug me because what were my other choices that day? Play golf on an unexpectedly nice, warm day (remember it was supposed to rain buckets) or sit around the house?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

My friendly suggestions:

Wow, that was so well written and sums up my feelings exactly. My game is starting to come around late in the year, despite some rough patches at the start and in the middle. Not playing up to your potential is a tough thing and at times since I don't play as much as I used to (maybe 20-25 rounds this year), I want to go our and play well everytime since it might be a week or 2 before my next round. I've started to relax a bit and let it come.

I agree wholeheartedly with BC on the switching clubs part. It takes me several rounds sometimes to get used to a certain club and know its tendancies. Other times, it is magic from the get go.

Other than being with my family, being on the golf course is about as close to heaven as it gets.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road

My friendly suggestions:

I think this is the best thing I have read yet on this subject. I have been going through a similar situation as Geoff except my expectations are maybe a little more modest.
    Can't say too much about attitude, routine, and analytical thinking in golf. As for becoming freinds with your golf clubs, that someting that will take alot of work.
    My opinion is Geoff is spending too much time around golf. Between forums, trading/selling clubs and playing, golf may be dominating too much of your time.
    When you are ready to play againg I would be happy to get out agian with you.

Exactly my point, couldn't have said it better myself. Its just a game, and why make myself so upset and frustrated??? Just not worth it. Better to just move on, either take a break and come back sometime in the future, or just stop playing all together. It going to be a long winter of thought for sure. Because if I do decide to play, will have to pick a course to play at and start saving some cash. Or look for something else to do in my free time. Shift work gives me lots of that.

I hear ya Geoff, and when you are ready to play again, and want a fellow shift worker and someone you could easily beat blindfolded, give me a call, I'd be happy to play with you!!!!

I hear ya Geoff, and when you are ready to play again, and want a fellow shift worker and someone you could easily beat blindfolded, give me a call, I'd be happy to play with you!!!!
    Thanks, appreciate the offer. I'll have alot of rounds to make up with people here if/when I pick the game back up.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 09-25-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks, appreciate the offer. I'll have alot of rounds to make up with people here when I pick the game back up.
    You got that right BOZO!

Thread Information