CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

We all need time off!

Sorry to hear this Geoff,
    No matter what we do on a regular basis, we have to get away from it now and again. With a little luck, you will return energised and ready to go again. And if not, at least you've had a good time with the game until now. I find I need to step back from any time consuming 'hobby' after a while. If you're not enjoying it, it's not worth it. Best of luck and I know many of us are rooting for you.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Richard"

Geoff

Geoff, you realize when I said pack it up I meant only for this season. You have to remember it is just a game and no one on this site is ever going to go pro and make any money playing this sport, more likely we are going to spend all our money on this game. If you think of this game as a get away from the stresses of life (in indios case... the sofa) then you may start to enjoy it more. Its true that golf is more fun when you are playing well but regardless of if I play well or bad, I've decided to have a fun playing the game, still care about the score but not to the point where I and fixated on it. Go with fun people, new people, have a great time, drink lots of beer.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    When I was done my round I went into the clubhouse thinking there was no way anyone had as bad a score as me. I thought I knew what I shot in the clubhouse and saw that I had tied someone for worse score. I sit down, have my meal, get back up and realize that I hadn't counted right and that I had the worse score out of 52 competitors. I shot a 94, doubled two par 5s, tripled the other two par 5s. Had a mere three pars ( I think). First time over 90 in about 2 1/2 years. Don't think I've ever been more embarrased on the golf course. Other guys in my group all shot around 75, and here I am 20 strokes behind them. Just can't deal with it anymore. Golf is supposed to be fun, this isn't fun when you can't hit the ball in even the same area code that you are aimed. So why frustrate yourself and get stressed??? Not worth it, so move on to something else.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    geoff, don't give up. Other than thursday you have been either in the 70s or 81 every other time we have played. So you had a round in the 90s. Take some lessons, hit up a range a few times, do some short game and you'll be ready to roll next season. I've felt this way about golf but let me just tell you, dont' do anything drastic. Don't sell your clubs, don't sell your bag, just leave it in the basement and see what happens next year. Trust me, the season will be close to starting and you will be itching for it to start sooner!

7 Wood Newbie is on a distinguished road
    Hwy Geoff;

My first month golfing..52 yeas old. Took 4 lessons before getting to an actual course. Played Thursday with a golfer from work and shot 86 with a frigging eagle 2 pars and a birdie. First time on a course! Played again yesterday on the CFB Trenton course, a much longer course, and shot 104. First time in a cart. Horrible score for some...I was thrilled to be with friends and shoot 104. First game I could not hit the driver... yesterday I hit 14 drives well but could not putt/chip worth crap. Moral of story...crap happens..can't wait to play again. I will never be shamed playing this difficult game. It appears that some days you got it and others it appears to humble you very badly. Imagine me saying that after a month of attempting the game.

WANT TO SELL YOUR CLUBS....

Give yourself a break Geoff and hopefully you have no high bridges situated near ya..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    geoff, don't give up. Other than thursday you have been either in the 70s or 81 every other time we have played. So you had a round in the 90s. Take some lessons, hit up a range a few times, do some short game and you'll be ready to roll next season. I've felt this way about golf but let me just tell you, dont' do anything drastic. Don't sell your clubs, don't sell your bag, just leave it in the basement and see what happens next year. Trust me, the season will be close to starting and you will be itching for it to start sooner!
    Just don't think that will happen. Usually I end up closing courses for the season. Can't believe I'll be done playing first week of Oct. But that's the way it is going to be. If I have the itch come spring I'll play, but I'm not going to touch a club over the winter nor look forward to spring. Right now I can't wait to put the clubs away.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Indio and i are coming to get you on the 30th dude!
    By force if need be
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    By force if need be
    Sorry dude, won't be playing on the 30th. I have a club event on Sat and then I do believe that's it for me.

"Richard"
    geoff, if you decide to give up your moderator job until you start playing again, indio and myself will be more than happy to take over for you.

Already stated I won't be doing that.

"Richard"
    yeah yeah, I know, I'm just messing with you. But here is a serious question... when would you have to tell MC that you want to be a member there next year as well? any chance that all the spots would be taken if/when you do decide to play again?

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Maybe Geoff you might forget the club event and come and "ENJOY" a day with a lot of people that genuinely care about how you are feeling--give it some serious thought Bud.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

"Richard"
    yeah dude, leave the clubs at home and just walk the course and enjoy a nice day with some friends. If I was coming I would sooooooo let you be my caddy!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    geoff, if you decide to give up your moderator job until you start playing again, indio and myself will be more than happy to take over for you.
    We'll have to change the site name from OttawaGolf to the "Indio and Richard Blog"
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Geoff, You....must....stay!, My sanity is involved, or at least what's still there There needs to be a steady voice of reason and maturity. So put down that Driver and that blowtorch and get back to work.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    We'll have to change the site name from OttawaGolf to the "Indio and Richard Blog"
    Leave me out of this one please
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

NOT a chance. NO ONE can fill those shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    By force if need be
    Gee, I like the way everyone is offering my 'services' today!

^^^^^ I thought you and I were going after "Richard" ?--and no my quote button does not work!

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road

youre not alone

Geoff, I did the same things years back. Have to be honest, it was the right thing to do for me.

That said, I can share why/how things that helped me come back to the game.

I had the same feelings as you. I wasn't improving, and I was getting madder and madder on the course. My behaviour was becoming worse than my game, and I got ZERO pleasure out of it.

I hung up the clubs for 3 years. I sorta missed it at first, then not at all, then I got a yearning to play when some friends took it up.

But I said, I refuse to get mad while playing. So I took up some lessons, and I played SOLELY for the purpose of being out with friends, NOT for the golf.

Lots of fun suddenly happened. I also learned a few things along the way.

The more I relaxed and focused NOT on results, but on an easy swing, and the fun with friends, the better my game got. The more I shook off a bad shot as "who cares, I'm having fun", the better the next shot got. If I didn't even mark down the score, the better my shots got.

I started to slip again, caring about results, and getting mad, and then I remembered my original philosophy of not caring, and again, fun ensued.

I can't say I'm a better golfer now, but I have a lot more fun than I did, and I definitely squeak out a few nice moments here and there.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    C'MON GEOFF, enough already. You are not giving up this game. Golfers are 's for punishment, that is why we keep going back to the courses.

Man you gotta suck it up and be a man here. Take some time off if needed, hell we all need a break from the game. But quit? C'mon you know as well as I do you will be out there next spring teeing it up with the rest of us.

Buddy, trust me there are worse things in life than shooting a bad round of golf. I should know, Indio knows and I am pretty sure many others who post here know that too.

You should consider yourself lucky enough to be on TOP OF THE GREEN GRASS, NOT UNDERNEATH IT.

FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    That said, if taking a break for a year brings more enjoyment than self punishment on the course, it might not be a bad idea.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    It's hard to admit for some of us, but there are more important things in life besides golf. If Geoff feels it's time to take a break from the game, then it's the right thing to do.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    You took the words out of my mouth Edmonton.

Golfbum--you took the words right out of my mouth. I have met this guy and believe me he is one of the most articulate and intelligent young man I have ever met--dont quit Bud--take a rest--For all of us to lose a golfing buddy like you would be a great loss---chin up--suck it up and tee it up--next spring!

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    I have met this guy and believe me he is one of the most articulate and intelligent young man I have ever met--dont quit Bud--take a rest--For all of us to lose a golfing buddy like you would be a great loss---chin up--suck it up and tee it up--next spring!
    BM, you haven't met me yet!

This is my 'year off' of golf. Last year I played over 120 rounds of golf...... this year I haven't played 10. Bugsy and I decided that our lives revolved around the golf club. We spent our weekends there and sometimes had 3 meals every day on the weekend. We moved to a new home last fall and decided to take this year off and take time to enjoy other things in life (like yard maintenance)

But next year, I will be back at it and Geoff will be my first game!

^^^Really looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    ^^^Really looking forward to it

Save your enthusiasm (sp?) for Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Geoff, I did the same things years back. Have to be honest, it was the right thing to do for me.

That said, I can share why/how things that helped me come back to the game.

I had the same feelings as you. I wasn't improving, and I was getting madder and madder on the course. My behaviour was becoming worse than my game, and I got ZERO pleasure out of it.

I hung up the clubs for 3 years. I sorta missed it at first, then not at all, then I got a yearning to play when some friends took it up.

But I said, I refuse to get mad while playing. So I took up some lessons, and I played SOLELY for the purpose of being out with friends, NOT for the golf.

Lots of fun suddenly happened. I also learned a few things along the way.

The more I relaxed and focused NOT on results, but on an easy swing, and the fun with friends, the better my game got. The more I shook off a bad shot as "who cares, I'm having fun", the better the next shot got. If I didn't even mark down the score, the better my shots got.

I started to slip again, caring about results, and getting mad, and then I remembered my original philosophy of not caring, and again, fun ensued.

I can't say I'm a better golfer now, but I have a lot more fun than I did, and I definitely squeak out a few nice moments here and there.
    Sounds vaguely similar to me GP. Thanks for the input. Don't know if it will be three years or three months before I play again, only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    It's hard to admit for some of us, but there are more important things in life besides golf. If Geoff feels it's time to take a break from the game, then it's the right thing to do.
    Thanks for understanding EG, most just don't see it my eye. Appreciate the words of support.

Thread Information