CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Golf Channel Canada.........?

You are not going to believe this one. Golf Channel Canada!!! Check out Bob Weeks article (Blog) on the ScoreGolf website.
    http://www.scoregolf.com/blog/bob-we...blog-post4.cfm

From Bob's Blog:
    "Fla.-based Golf Channel is negotiating with a Canadian partner to bring a Canadian version of the channel north. That is, Golf Channel Canada. It’s a move that’s been made by several other specialty channels including the Food Network and HG television.
    Essentially, the northern carrier would pick up a percentage of the original programming and then fill in with content produced specifically for the Canadian audience. I have no idea how far along these talks are or even how serious, but they are or have happened, from what I’ve been told."

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    well good luck to them, they wont last more than a few months if they remain only available on pay digital tv. the article does not talk about this though, that HGTV and FOD etc work because they are on "regular" programming.

bring back the golf channel to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 Iron golfngord is on a distinguished road

digital box

IN the MIssassauga area a friend complained to their cable provider regaurding the loss of the TGC and they gave him a digital receiver in order to keep him from going Satelite.
    COmplain and you may get the same responce locally

yes, i have been givne the golf channel for free for a year, but this is simply besides the point, what happens in a year? I have to complain again!!

Like I say, Golf Channel Canada will not work if it remains on Pay digital TV.

Gap Wedge Titleist Rules is on a distinguished road Titleist Rules's Avatar
    The same thing happened to me. I called an was given TGC free for one year. At the end of the year if i don't call to cancel TGC they will automaticlly begin to charge me for this channel.
    Good luck. As much as i like and watch TGC, i will not pay extra for it. Big Break or not.
    Driver!!!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I don't get this... I'll pay the cost of a couple of cups of Tim's for the Golf Channel every month, as it's basically the only non-HD channel I watch...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar
    We have always gotten the Golf Channel as part of the basic cable package here in Hamilton.
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

the point is not the cost, it is more the issue. they have moved the GC to pay only, and replaced it with MTV. now why is that? they say it is due to a lack of interest in the GC here in Canada, but if that is the case, why are they thinking of a GC canada? I do not buy it, it is simply because starting in2007 the first 2 rounds of every PGS event will be on the GC no longer on TSN etc like this year.

I will not pay for it, I have told rogers that for me ths is the last straw, firt they remove newsgroup sfrom internet service, then numerous changes to cabel and now this, well like i say, i wont pay for it. once it is no longer freee, i am off to bell with my $200+ a month bills

That's funny, because I've moved completed over to Rogers now after years of equally frustrating times with Bell. In this case I don't think there is a lesser of two evils - they are both equally nasty to deal with - one thing I do know though is that my satellite service would go down frequently due to storms - be they snow or rain - and my cable service has gone out once since we got it 18 months ago.

I think the Golf Channel's demographics are the reason they moved it up the dial - this is a sweeping generalization, but most of us who play the game and desire to have the Golf Channel in our lineup can afford and are willing to spend the extra couple of bucks a month to have it.

Most parents aren't willing to anti-up extra dough for MTV though.

So, Rogers et al increase their margins with the Golf Channel in its new position. And as for Golf Channel Canada - they obviously see that the market for us schulbs who want and need Gino Valliante's advice.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Well I got the free year and then they will be getting my $2.50/month cuz I can't go without.

Will be interesting to see if the Canadian version pans out and where it will end up.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I don't want to hijack but:
    What is so special about TGC?

I got the channel for free when it jumped to channel 71, but I found that it had very little to offer. It may have just been the times when I watched it ... you know during the infomercials, the constant repeating of the same episode of BBIV, or during the on the set teaching where the expert one day says to do X but never do Y and the next day next expert says to do Y but never do X (all the while the same host is saying "you are absolutely right").

What am I missing?
    Back at it.

what is has to offer is next year, when it has the openi 2 rounds of EVERY PGA tourney on thurs and fri all year. That is the bottom line, it is not due to lack of ratings, or anythign else, it was moved because of the fact that it now commands more due to the added coverage.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post
    what is has to offer is next year, when it has the openi 2 rounds of EVERY PGA tourney on thurs and fri all year. That is the bottom line, it is not due to lack of ratings, or anythign else, it was moved because of the fact that it now commands more due to the added coverage.
    So it will be a great channel on thur & fri while I am at work. I still don't get it.

Another thing I did realize during my free TGC stint was that I really don't enjoy watching other people play golf, then again I hardly have any interest in watching any other organized sports so I shouldn't be that surprised. I mainly love playing golf, learning about golf and discussing golf. All of which seem to be lacking in the programming of TGC. However, the one show that I liked was "Playing Lessons from the Pros", but the only one I have seen is the one with Faldo so a very limited sample.
    Back at it.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I really like the show "golf with style" I can't get enough of the hostess, the venues, and a little big break retro players match play. Also, european tour coverage, champions & lpga and don't forget the nationwide events.
    playing lessons from the pros is great too, plus all the big breaks. I could easily do without the gulbis show or that daly planet and all the infomercials, but hey, I'm sure there are even fans of those. I know when the snow comes, TGC is all I've got left.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    I don't want to hijack but:
    What is so special about TGC?

What am I missing?
    The post game show during major events alone is well worth it - not necessarily because of the banter on the panel, but the extended length clips of the newsconferences gives you a more unfiltered view of what's going on.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information