100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar

Ceramic Tile Installation

My wife would like to have ceramic tile in our 2 upstairs bathrooms. Anyone have any experience with this? Cost? Names of people/companies that offer good prices and good workmanship? I have no idea about this stuff. Thanks,
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl
    My wife would like to have ceramic tile in our 2 upstairs bathrooms. Anyone have any experience with this? Cost? Names of people/companies that offer good prices and good workmanship? I have no idea about this stuff. Thanks,
    I'm in the process of trying to find a company to lay hardwood and ceramic throughout the entire first floor of my home......it's a real bugger if you don't know of a good company. I don't even know if I'm getting a good price. I've had quoted ranging from 11K all the way up to 17K - it seems like they don't give the stuff away

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Why don't both of you do it yourselves? I am about to redo my ensuite in ceramic. I can go the home depot way and they provide good contractors or have them tell you how to do it

Hardwood is not really that hard to do but you gotta rent the 'nailer' to do it .....

Ceramic is not quite as easy but as long as your not getting too fancy with the pattern and you have the tile cutter, it isn't a big deal either. I might even go to travertine in the bathroom
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

1 Iron mike_weir_fan is on a distinguished road mike_weir_fan's Avatar
    If you have a Home Depot nearby I would HIGHLY recommend them.

You know that saying, if the ladies don't find you handsome, they better at least find you handy??

Well I'm neither

....but I do smell good

It's the grout thats the hard part I think. i'd rather have a pro as my wife is PICKY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_weir_fan
    If you have a Home Depot nearby I would HIGHLY recommend them.
    I agree, I used them to remodel an entire kitchen and they did a helluva job!

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl
    It's the grout thats the hard part I think. i'd rather have a pro as my wife is PICKY!!!!
    The 'grout doctor' is a member in here...... lay the tile and hire him to do the grout

Really? Hmmm Grout Doctor you out there???

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    You know that saying, if the ladies don't find you handsome, they better at least find you handy??

Well I'm neither

....but I do smell good
    Oh no you don't.... I,m not gettin sucked into that one!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OK Guys--this I know about--the tile job is really not that hard--the hardest part is cutting--there are certain rules but it is not rocket science. As for the hardwood floor you really need the tools-they can be rented and all the info is available on the net. If you guys are at all handy it can be done--11 to 17K for floors--what are you putting down--solid walnut???? Yes and you are right --you dont know who to trust--the construction industry in the last few years seems to have gone downhill really fast--not enough good tradesmen and everyone wants in and out real fast. Believe it or not some of these guys put 100.00 an hour in their pocket (and they are not even doctors) If you need any info I would be more than glad to tell you what I know.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Lob Wedge kpitts is on a distinguished road

Tile Installs

This is a good site for information on laying tiles.

http://www.ontariotile.com/index.html

good luck...

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Hi weazl I sent you a PM I would be more than happy to help with the grout.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

We've decided to go with Giant Carpet.

900 sq ft of hardwood (American Red Oak)
    300 sq ft of Ceramic
    New plywood throughout
    New Burber carpet on 4 stairs and a small landing
    New 1/4 round installed and painted
    All old carpet and ceramic removed
    All furniture and appliances moved
    Toilet lifted

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    None of these jobs are very hard guys, you just need to do some research and reading on them. If you don't have the tools, just rent them. Also you can go to seminars at home depot and they will show you how to do all this stuff, For a fraction of the price!!!! We have gutted a church and built complete apartments, and redone everything from flooring , walls and fireplaces in our own home!! And the pride that comes with doing yourself is unbelievable. However, I would suggest sending the wife and kids away while you're doing it!!! Us wives have a habit of making most of our inhandy husbands feel even unhandier!!! No pun intended and no offense intended!!!

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kerisb
    We have gutted a church and built complete apartments, and redone everything from flooring , walls and fireplaces in our own home!!
    How much do you charge? And, when are you available?

I have told my wife that tile is one job I won't attempt.

Same here, unl;ess I have too. She doesn't trust me!!! Admittedly, I can do the basic easy jobs but after that I'm good at writing cheques.

They say that putting wallpaper up together is a true test of a marriage........that's because ceramic flooring didn't exist back when they coined that phrase

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    If you guys are interested, my father in law is a contractor. He could go by your place and give you an estimate. He’s a one-man company with one or two employees if he needs help during big jobs. He is very good and meticulous

PM me if interested.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    OK Guys--this I know about--the tile job is really not that hard--the hardest part is cutting--there are certain rules but it is not rocket science.
    Are you sure about that? Have you looked at the space shuttle lately?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

You have to be fast here--is this not the second time "lobwedge"?

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    How much do you charge? And, when are you available?

I have told my wife that tile is one job I won't attempt.

Sorry sharkshooter only do our own properties......and in saying that never really have time for that either anymore it seems!! But I am quite serious, none of it is very hard at all and you would not believe how much you could save by doing it yourself. Most couples are not very good at doing stuff like this together, but then again I find most wives are not that mechanically inclined (no offence intended). I am very mechanically inclined and if I want a job like this done I generally just start it myself, then my hubby just joins in, however most of the painting and wallpaper he seems to enjoy more than I do. We have renovated a church into apartments and we even installed the metal roof on it together ourselves, and I am terrified of heights, so imagine me up two stories on a very steep roof, I was ok as long as no one else came within about 15 feet of me!!!

But my husband researches everything before he starts a job and makes sure he has all the right tools. And it helps that I always let him think he is the boss, if I don't like something I just change it when he is not around, or wait till he is out of town then I renovate whichever room I want before he gets back!!!!

Kerisb---I guess I am going to have a little talk with "hubby"--sounds like your getting away with murder!

I finished my basement, doing most of the work myself, but had someone do most of the electrical, mudding and sanding the drywall and the plumbing. I know my limits. I think tile is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    Kerisb---I guess I am going to have a little talk with "hubby"--sounds like your getting away with murder!
    Oh don't you worry big mac.....he knows me to a tee!!! He has usually always gotten surprised when he has gone away for more than a couple of days or so. Why do you think he now takes me on the golfing trips with him!!!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kerisb
    ...Why do you think he now takes me on the golfing trips with him!!!LOL
    To save money?

I finished my basement, doing most of the work myself, but had someone do most of the electrical, mudding and sanding the drywall and the plumbing. I know my limits. I think tile is beyond it.
    You are right there sharkshooter I agree with getting a professional to do stuff like the electrical because of all the codes and laws. And I also agree that if you think a job is beyond your capabilities, you should probably get a professsional, because a drastic screw up could end up costing more in the long run!!! Is it the wall or floor you are thinking of tiling?

Floor - kitchen, hall and powder room.

The kitchen has linoleum, while the rest already has ceramic tile, but my wife would like to replace it.

To save money?
    No it is to save his sanity!!! LOL

Floor - kitchen, hall and powder room.

The kitchen has linoleum, while the rest already has ceramic tile, but my wife would like to replace it.
    Ok sharkshooter, I will agree, tiling a floor can be tricky, especially if it is in an older house. I would recommend getting a professional, nothing worse than doing the job then having tiles start popping up, and grout cracking!!!

Thread Information