100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm with Indio with regards to Sergio, can't stand him. I think it was his waggles that killed me. Plus he and Adidas don't know what they're doing.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Plus he and Adidas don't know what they're doing.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Unbelievable the putts and chips the Euros make. To bad they can’t play like that on the PGA especially in majors.

Mike

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Man...Garcia is great - one of my favourite tour players. I don't think I'll ever forget that shot from behind the tree at Medinah. That was right when I was first starting to play golf and I just thought he was the coolest guy - one of the only playerswho was actually entertaining to watch.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Predictions???

I predict to win.

Colin Montgomerie
    Sergio Garcia
    Jim Furyk
    Tiger Woods
    Luke Donald
    JJ Henry -> I like this guy!
    Zach Johnson
    Brett Wetterich
    Jose Maria Olazabal
    Chris DiMarco
    VerPlank

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dH
    Predictions???

I predict to win.

Colin Montgomerie
    Sergio Garcia
    Jim Furyk
    Tiger Woods
    Luke Donald
    JJ Henry -> I like this guy!
    Zach Johnson
    Brett Wetterich
    Jose Maria Olazabal
    Chris DiMarco
    VerPlank
    So you are saying the USA TEAM comes back to win? Hmmmmmmmmm
    I do like JJ HENRY though, that dude just strolls along out there looking totally cool while shooting good scores. Johnson was on fire Saturday morning! -7 scorching!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    So you are saying the USA TEAM comes back to win? Hmmmmmmmmm
    I do like JJ HENRY though, that dude just strolls along out there looking totally cool while shooting good scores. Johnson was on fire Saturday morning! -7 scorching!
    He's got Europe getting 4 points there, that's all they need to retain the cup. But no prediction on the Taylor-Stenson match dH? Do they win outright or just a tie?

Whichever, it'll be nice to finally watch some LIVE action tomorrow. Tape delay in the internet age is a joke, at least show the afternoon matches live.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Europe needs 4 1/2 to retain the Cup. They'll get that and more.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireice
    Europe needs 4 1/2 to retain the Cup. They'll get that and more.
    Only 4 to retain. 4 1/2 to win it outright.

All the American comentators (except for Johnny Miller, who seems to have his head screwed on straight for once) are trying to make all these mystic connections to Brookline. The difference this time is that the Europeans are a much deeper side than 1999. They should win comfortably.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    7:15AM Montgomerie (EUR) vs. Toms (US) - Monty needs to have his "A" putter going to stay close. This course sets up perfectly for Toms. Prediction - Toms

7:27AM Garcia (EUR) vs. Cink (US) - The Irish fans have granted Garcia honorary citizenship. Cink is steady and a great putter, but Sergio will be too much to handle. Prediction - Garcia

7:39AM Casey (EUR) vs. Furyk (US) - This could be the slugfest of the day. Casey's iron game has been spectacular, and Furyk's as tough as they come. Prediction - Halved

7:51AM Karlsson (EUR) vs. Woods (US) - Woods is back in his element (on his own). If Karlsson can stay close he may be able to steal it late, especially if he can keep chipping in. Prediction - Woods

8:03AM Donald (EUR) vs. Campbell (US) - Campbell is a tough customer, but his ball flight is too high, especially if the wind is up. Donald hasn't golfed his own ball yet, but he is the picture of consistency (he isn't on the top of the European RC points list for nothing). Prediction - Donald

8:15AM McGinley (EUR) vs. Henry (US) - Henry is playing some inspired golf this week, and having a lot of fun doing it. McGinley probably knows this course better than anyone, and is due to break out. Prediction - Halved

8:27AM Clarke (EUR) vs. Johnson (US) - Johnson is having an amzing tournament, but Clarke is on a mission and the hometown fans will carry him to victory. Prediction - Clarke (BTW - if my predictions hold true to here, this will be point #14 for Europe. I think this story will trump Brookline 1999 in the history books )

8:39AM Stenson (EUR) vs. Taylor (US) - Stenson has been quiet so far, not bad, just quiet. Taylor hit some great shots in his only appearance to help Campbell earn a half, but can he hold up on his own with more pressure than he's ever faced before? Prediction - Stenson (actually, Taylor will lose it.)

8:51AM Howell (EUR) vs. Wetterich (US) - Wetterich would be wise to leave his driver, and maybe the 3-wood too, back at the hotel. Plenty of length, but not enough accuracy for the Palmer course. Howell needs to remember what it's like to play his own ball all the way to the hole (he hasn't had to do that yet). Prediction - Halved

9:03AM Olazábal (EUR) vs. Mickelson (US) - I still see Ollie as the anchor of the European side. Mickelson is the lead weight for the US team. Prediction -
    Olazábal

9:15AM Westwood (EUR) vs. DiMarco (US) - Westwood may be the most brilliant captain's pick of all time (Thomas who?). DiMarco is great tee to green, but needs to get the wand working. Prediction - Halved

9:27AM Harrington (EUR) vs. Verplank (US) - I have never seen a man with only 1/2 a point in 4 matches smile so much. No problem, he will put the exclamation point on the day by making Verplank go ker-plunk. Prediction - Harrington

Final Score: Europe - 18, USA - 10.

When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Congrats to Europe but a boring Sunday on TV, no drama.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    No drama, but really wonderful golf. Cink started it off by dropping all those bombs on Sergio, and then everyone joined in the party. So many long putts and chips dropped, sometimes on top of each other, each turning inside out the supposed advantage on the hole, it was really fun to watch.

ANOTHER SPANKING ADMINISTERED BY THE
    EUROPEAN TEAM.
    Of course everyone is going to blame Captain Tom. But in all honesty, he never hit a damn shot in three days. He did everything he could to bring that team together. USA just doesn't get the "TEAM CONCEPT" like the Europeans do.

Back to the drawing board for the next US Captain.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    ANOTHER SPANKING ADMINISTERED BY THE

EUROPEAN TEAM.

Of course everyone is going to blame Captain Tom. But in all honesty, he never hit a damn shot in three days. He did everything he could to bring that team together. USA just doesn't get the "TEAM CONCEPT" like the Europeans do.

Back to the drawing board for the next US Captain.
    This doesn't surprize me one little bit............golf is an individual game and the American's get that - it is very hard for them to play a team game because it is so foreign to them.

What I find amazing how you put little Choke-io with a partner and he's the second coming of Bobby Jones but he plays his own ball and he goes back to his losing ways....

What baffles me is how Euro’s can put an amazing display of golf during the Ryder Cup and completely disappear on the PGA. If Sergio could putt like this in majors he would have at least three under his belt. Same goes for Monty, Westwood and Clark.

Mike

NO DRAMA? I just watched the tape and you must have watched different golf than I did. Hole outs from off the green, birdie putts going in from everywhere. Stewart Cink sunk some BOMBS. Darren Clarke from off the green, 90 feet with a putter, nothing but cup!
    I found the action to be quite exciting.
    Oh and the best part of it all? SUPER CADDIE STEVIE dropping Tiger's 9 iron into the depths of the pond beside 7 Did someone click a camera and cause him to drop that? Would have been nice to see him go in head first instead of the 9 iron

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    This doesn't surprize me one little bit............golf is an individual game and the American's get that - it is very hard for them to play a team game because it is so foreign to them.

What I find amazing how you put little Choke-io with a partner and he's the second coming of Bobby Jones but he plays his own ball and he goes back to his losing ways....
    I have to assume you are referring to Garcia as Little Choke-io? If so, the way Stewart Cink played today he would have steam rolled Tiger Woods! He was sinking bombs from everywhere. Tough to beat a guy in match play when he does that. Garcia still has an awesome record in the Ryder Cup events he has played in.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I have to assume you are referring to Garcia as Little Choke-io? If so, the way Stewart Cink played today he would have steam rolled Tiger Woods! He was sinking bombs from everywhere. Tough to beat a guy in match play when he does that. Garcia still has an awesome record in the Ryder Cup events he has played in.
    I was so happy to see the following:

1. Garcia get spanked
    2. Mickelson get spanked
    3. Clark win
    4. Monty win

My wishes came true..... didn't care who won, although I was rootin for the yanks.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    NO DRAMA? I just watched the tape and you must have watched different golf than I did.
    At no time did I ever say "Hey, maybe the US can win this cup."
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Euros in a romp, just like I predicted! Congrats Euros, US have a long way to go.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

At no time did I ever say "Hey, maybe the US can win this cup."
    And at no time did I say you said "Hey, maybe the US can win this cup"

You stated there was no drama. Depends on what you want to see in golf. I watched putts poring in from all over. Shots from the rough etc that end up tight. Chip ins from around the greens, I think that is exciting golf.
    Drama? Well most of us knew on Saturday night that the Ryder Cup was staying in Europe

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    no suspense, then.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Nice win Europe.
    The Guinness will be flowing in Ireland tonight.

I'm not disputing that Sergio has a great Ryder Cup record........what I'm saying is that he chokes as an individual golfer and since 99% of all competitive golf that he plays is in the individual format I find it quite amazing that he excels in the team game.

I wonder why that is? Is it because he doesn't feel as much pressure when he has a team around him? Does playing for himself not motivate him as much as playing for team and country? The opposite is true of guys like Tiger, Phil and Furyk - why do these guys play the individual game so well but stink the place up in the team competitions??

I'm intrigued by the psychology of it all

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    ... Does playing for himself not motivate him as much as playing for team and country? The opposite is true of guys like Tiger, Phil and Furyk - why do these guys play the individual game so well but stink the place up in the team competitions??
    Phil chokes equally as well in team play as in individual play.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    Phil chokes equally as well in team play as in individual play.
    I suppose you do have a point there Shark - but at least he puts himself in a position to choke on a consistent basis

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    .... I'm intrigued by the psychology of it all
    The interesting thing about golf is that you are never playing against anyone (although you may think you are), but you are only playing against the course (and course architect).
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3
    The interesting thing about golf is that you are never playing against anyone (although you may think you are), but you are only playing against the course (and course architect).
    True that you are always playing against the course, but in match play you are definitely playing against your opponent too. There are many more tactical considerations to be made in this format based on what your opponent does, or doesn't do.

I don't know if you've played any head-to-head matches, and it sounds like you haven't, but it is a much different game than regular stroke or medal play. Every golfer should experience it at least once.

Pitching Wedge boyabouttown is on a distinguished road boyabouttown's Avatar
    What really surprised me about the team matches was that the caddies on both teams had no input reading the putts. Watching Woods and Furyk take 5 minutes to discuss a putt and not even come close to hitting the hole was laughable! Made you wonder what they were talking about! It was strange to watch Mickelson putt and not see his caddy, Jim McKay lining up the putts for him like he always does. Anyone know why? I appreciate that it is important to involve your partner in this type of match play, but why would a player especially at that level change his routine. I was also surprised that Lehman played Mickelson in all the matches. Where was this guy after the PGA? His lack of preparation certainly showed; especially in his poor iron play.

I was glad to see the Euros win. I was especially pleased to se Paul Casey play so well at such an important event. That poor guy was crucified in the american press when things he said at the world cup were totally miscommunicated. I hope this is the start of great things for him!

To a man there was not one player you looked at and did not think how much fun it would be to have them in your foursome! Obviously, playing at the K Club was a huge advantage for them. They play the course regularly. They know the greens. Makes one wonder why the americans choose to play at courses that although may be regulars in terms of the majors, are not courses they play every year. Its curous that the matches have never been played on the Stadium course in Sawgrass.

Let's hope the americans come better prepared in two years.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    True that you are always playing against the course, but in match play you are definitely playing against your opponent too. There are many more tactical considerations to be made in this format based on what your opponent does, or doesn't do.

I don't know if you've played any head-to-head matches, and it sounds like you haven't, but it is a much different game than regular stroke or medal play. Every golfer should experience it at least once.
    Lets see take any par4:
    Stroke or Medal play:
    Tee shot, approach, putt, putt.
    Match play:
    Tee shot, approach, putt, putt (or conceded).

Not much difference in my mind.

The course will determine your tee and approach shots. Your putting will depend on how well you did the last two. And your actions are completely independent from the actions of the other players.

In any golf competition you cannot point to one stroke that caused the player to win. Possible response: But X player birdied the last hole to win by a stroke. But was it actually the birdie on the last hole which won it or was it the birdie on the 10th on Thursday, because both have the same impact on the total score.
    Back at it.

Thread Information