100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I'm still waiting for somebody to prove to me that my weekend match can not be considered a "competition".

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

Maybe I'll try another forum to see if I can find someone who knows...

MJF

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    I think that you will find that the comments I wrote re the RCGA and R&A's responses to questions give you an insight to their view.
    Further, the R&A and the USGA produce a publication 'Guidance on Running a Competition'. This details the processes the committee need to go through when organising a competition. If your group do not do these things I would suggest you are not running a competition in the sense meant by the rules.

The list includes:
    Drafting and publishing Conditions of Competition & Local Rules
    Setting up and marking the course
    All of which must conform to the Rules of Golf

After all that, I don't think it matters to anyone except your group, what rules you play to or if you declare yourselves to be 'the committee responsible for the competition'. We are all out there to enjoy ourselves - except when there is big money at stake (like the bar bill ). No one from the RCGA will jump out from behind a bush and arrest you. But they will not resolve any rules disputes which may arise.
    Last edited by AAA; 09-19-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    I think that you will find that the comments I wrote re the RCGA and R&A's responses to questions give you an insight to their view.
    Further, the R&A and the USGA produce a publication 'Guidance on Running a Competition'. This details the processes the committee need to go through when organising a competition. If your group do not do these things I would suggest you are not running a competition in the sense meant by the rules.

The list includes:
    Drafting and publishing Conditions of Competition & Local Rules
    Setting up and marking the course
    All of which must conform to the Rules of Golf

After all that, I don't think it matters to anyone except your group, what rules you play to or if you declare yourselves to be 'the committee responsible for the competition'. We are all out there to enjoy ourselves - except when there is big money at stake (like the bar bill ). No one from the RCGA will jump out from behind a bush and arrest you. But they will not resolve any rules disputes which may arise.
    See, that was easy. That's all that was being asked earlier. Thanks for the reply AAA.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    I doubt that you will find many serious players believe that. The words used in the Rules and Decisions have been thought about by a lot of people over many years specifically to avoid that accusation. This probably isn't the thread for discussing this point but I would be interested it you posted a few examples of ambiguous rules/decisions on another thread.

The point I was trying to make when I wrote the above was that, with the Decisions, the RBs have set out their interpretations, ie the interpretations that are the ones that players must use. Any other interpretation that we may make is not legal. That is not to say that the RBs will never change their mind but for the time being that is the only interpretation to be followed.

There are very few rules that have not been fully interpreted where interpretation is required and very few interpretations (ie decisions) that need further interpretation. Players may not agree with that interpretation and maybe the RBs will change their minds. But in the scheme of things it does not happen very often and usually makes little difference to the way we play.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    so mjf, what you need to do is print out your local rules and bring a can of white spray paint out to your next round.

Thread Information