100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanifi
    That's what I wanted to do too, but my friends tell me it's impossible to drop 6 shots in a season. I did it last year.
    if that's what your friends tell you, then lose your friends. They're holding you back

People say lots of things. People say you can't break 90 in a couple years, let alone 80. As long as you don't go along aimlessly and have a plan on how to do it, I think it's reachable. Personally, I like to make goals that might be 'alittle out of reach'. Makes me work harder and allows me to never be satisfied at where I am. For me to get to my goal requires me to get better at my short game which has never been very good for me - especially that Pelz 4x4 wedge system and better putting distance control. Easier said than done obviously - but i know where I want to go.

Lets go prove em wrong Hanifi

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    14 reasons why you should't have accepted,
    10 strokes on the "so called champ" yes I'll give you 10 shots Farzin....

Where do I sign up to watch this one? Can I bring my own beer?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    I have a bag full of laughs,
    14 reasons why you should't have accepted,
    10 strokes on the "so called champ" yes I'll give you 10 shots Farzin....
    and 1 helluva good time.......
    My freind, the "so called champ" had already accepted your challenge. I won't take it so you won't have an excuse.

To BE the man, you have to BEAT the man!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Colby:
    Do you know the difference between winning and whinnig. Tow different thing bud.

to whine: to complain with or as if with a whine
    to win: to gain the victory in a contest
    I have a dictionary, but where did the reference to whining come from? (notice the spelling difference!) In my last post, the one I think you are referring to, I was pointing out that the local rule that dealt with unmarked tree lines on a course had changed, that was all.

Or were you implying something?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    hehehe

:xxrotflma

Where's that spoon, I have a pot to stir

Don't forget the extra strokes for the change in lost ball rules...
    I have a dictionary, but where did the reference to whining come from? (notice the spelling difference!) In my last post, the one I think you are referring to, I was pointing out that the local rule that dealt with unmarked tree lines on a course had changed, that was all.

Or were you implying something?
    Rulles are for everybody. They don't benefit one or other, neither they hurt one or other. It seems like you and Steve think that the local rule worked to my advantage last year and was to your disadvantage. This has been brought up by both of you time and time. I hope I am wrong otherwise.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I'm not implying anything. We shall see what happens on the course. It has been a good winter of laughs and taunts and shots at each other. Now the fun begins.

Imagine all this and we're not even hitting balls outside yet.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Rulles are for everybody. They don't benefit one or other, neither they hurt one or other. It seems like you and Steve think that the local rule worked to my advantage last year and was to your disadvantage. This has been brought up by both of you time and time. I hope I am wrong otherwise.
    I agree. Rules are rules, and they should be followed by everybody. And if you want to use the score of a completed round for official handicapping purposes, you should be following the rules. The OttawaGolf Tour has a few local rules, that if followed, make the score for that round ineligible for official handicap purposes under the RCGA. If you were to use that round, which would probably be lower than if you followed all the rules to the letter, your official handicap would be artificially lower. The OGT handicap is not an official handicap.

The one rule that has been discussed is the one that allowed unmarked tree lines to count as a lateral hazard, which doesn't really exist it's a lateral water hazard. If you hit the ball into this unmarked tree line, whether you found it or not, you were entitled to drop a ball as if it were a lateral water hazard (26-1c). At this point you would be hitting your third shot from the dropped location. Played according to the rules, you would have to hit your ball from inside the unmarked tree line, your second shot if it was found (if the ball was hit there from the tee), or go back to the original spot and hit again if you could not find it, which would bring you to the spot where you lost your ball originally in three (if you hit it to the area you would have dropped) and getting ready to hit your fourth shot. That puts the player a stroke behind under the new OGT rule (where a provisional is hit) than under last years rules.

To be honest, a lower handicap player is not in that situation as often as a high-handicap player. Therefore last year, there was a definate advantage for the higher handicap players. As for myself, I started out last year with an 18 handicap, however, I did not utilize this rule when I played because I was using the rounds for an official handicap. Ask Dan how many I pulled into the trees on Raceview 11 on my way to an 11 on that hole during the tournament. Did this put me at a disadvantage? Absolutely! But it was my decision to play within the rules, to the best of my ability, so that I could see what my official handicap was really doing. At some point as I was getting better, I would reduce these penalties, which is a goal that I set for myself this year, to take fewer penalties in a round.

I would be very interested to watch you play the Shtick following all of the RCGA rules. No stickhandling, you play the ball down and where it lies, and hazards, lost balls, hitting wrong balls, etc are played exactly to the rules. I think that it would be very enlightening.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quick, Colby, where do I get to sign up for this battle of champs, near-champs, wanna-be-champs, champs-in-waiting, champs-chomping-at-the-bit, and all other members of the woulda, coulda, shoulda society of golfer?

I agree. Rules are rules, and they should be followed by everybody. And if you want to use the score of a completed round for official handicapping purposes, you should be following the rules. The OttawaGolf Tour has a few local rules, that if followed, make the score for that round ineligible for official handicap purposes under the RCGA. If you were to use that round, which would probably be lower than if you followed all the rules to the letter, your official handicap would be artificially lower. The OGT handicap is not an official handicap.

The one rule that has been discussed is the one that allowed unmarked tree lines to count as a lateral hazard, which doesn't really exist it's a lateral water hazard. If you hit the ball into this unmarked tree line, whether you found it or not, you were entitled to drop a ball as if it were a lateral water hazard (26-1c). At this point you would be hitting your third shot from the dropped location. Played according to the rules, you would have to hit your ball from inside the unmarked tree line, your second shot if it was found (if the ball was hit there from the tee), or go back to the original spot and hit again if you could not find it, which would bring you to the spot where you lost your ball originally in three (if you hit it to the area you would have dropped) and getting ready to hit your fourth shot. That puts the player a stroke behind under the new OGT rule (where a provisional is hit) than under last years rules.

To be honest, a lower handicap player is not in that situation as often as a high-handicap player. Therefore last year, there was a definate advantage for the higher handicap players. As for myself, I started out last year with an 18 handicap, however, I did not utilize this rule when I played because I was using the rounds for an official handicap. Ask Dan how many I pulled into the trees on Raceview 11 on my way to an 11 on that hole during the tournament. Did this put me at a disadvantage? Absolutely! But it was my decision to play within the rules, to the best of my ability, so that I could see what my official handicap was really doing. At some point as I was getting better, I would reduce these penalties, which is a goal that I set for myself this year, to take fewer penalties in a round.

I would be very interested to watch you play the Shtick following all of the RCGA rules. No stickhandling, you play the ball down and where it lies, and hazards, lost balls, hitting wrong balls, etc are played exactly to the rules. I think that it would be very enlightening.

These are all repletion, and are stated clearly in OGT local rules and are applicable to everybody who plays in OGT. Neither I nor anybody else whom I know who plays in OGT has made a claim that his OGT handicap is an official CPGA handicap. If you have a CPGA handicap that you like to keep, then you have to ignore those scores and don't enter them in your official CPGA handicap tracking or quite playing OGT events if they hurt your official CPGA handicap recording. I am not a member of any golf club and OGT is the only place that I can compete and have fun too while keeping an unofficial handicapping record that is very relevant to my playing abilities , and also win a cup too
    The fun I have playing the game is more valued to me than if I keep a CPGA handicap or an unofficial OGT handicap. A CPGA handicap won't change my game, I'll do the change slowly but surely.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    Quick, Colby, where do I get to sign up for this battle of champs, near-champs, wanna-be-champs, champs-in-waiting, champs-chomping-at-the-bit, and all other members of the woulda, coulda, shoulda society of golfer?

you could have just call it society of Champs?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

you could have just call it society of Champs?
    Agreed

Gap Wedge Shark_Golfer is on a distinguished road
    Lower my handicap to under 10, and get out a lot in the summer

These are all repletion, and are stated clearly in OGT local rules and are applicable to everybody who plays in OGT. Neither I nor anybody else whom I know who plays in OGT has made a claim that his OGT handicap is an official CPGA handicap. If you have a CPGA handicap that you like to keep, then you have to ignore those scores and don't enter them in your official CPGA handicap tracking or quite playing OGT events if they hurt your official CPGA handicap recording. I am not a member of any golf club and OGT is the only place that I can compete and have fun too while keeping an unofficial handicapping record that is very relevant to my playing abilities , and also win a cup too
    The fun I have playing the game is more valued to me than if I keep a CPGA handicap or an unofficial OGT handicap. A CPGA handicap won't change my game, I'll do the change slowly but surely.
    I never said that someone was claiming to have an official RCGA index when they were tracking their index through the OGT. Also, as I mentioned in the previous post, my choice was not to use the rule on the Tour because I wanted to use the score for RCGA index purposes.

And you did indeed win the Points leaderboard following sanctioned Tour rules. However, with the changes in the rules, and watching you play over the last couple of years, I honestly feel that you will be hard pressed to perform as well as you did last year. You will have some good games, but there will be a number of high scores also.
    Colby

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    LMAO.

You will have some good games, but there will be a number of high scores also.
    I can't ask for anything more. I'll be very happy with a few half decent rounds.
    keep the good ones and forget about the bad ones.

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Hows this for bitter

To dig out my favorite golf course......to hit a ball in analog mode and get back in my car before hypothermia sets in..

Next year I am NOT voting for Mother Nature :reallymad

I can't ask for anything more. I'll be very happy with a few half decent rounds.
    keep the good ones and forget about the bad ones.
    Agreed, and I'm sure I'll have my share of stinkers too, just like my five-putt on Stonebridge W1 last year (I still cry when I think of that one, no four putts, but one five putt)...

Official end of thread-jack
    Colby

Looking back over on this post, it seems I never replied, so here it is:
    1. Drop my average index from 14.3 to 10-11
    2. Reduce the number of triple bogies and eliminate quads and others
    3. Reduce my par 4 scoring average to 5
    4. Increase my GIR to 30%
    5. Increase my Fairways hit to 60%
    6. Lower the number of penalties/round from 2.7 to 1.5 or lower
    7. Increase my sand save percentage to 20%
    8. No rounds in the 100s
    9. Make another trip to Myrtle in late fall/early winter
    For the OGT:
    1. Play more than 8 events
    2. Score better than last years average
    3. Win enough to cover my wagers
    Colby

I think mine's simple. I'd like to have more fun on the course. I used to have a lot more fun when I didn't care so much about scoring so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    I think mine's simple. I'd like to have more fun on the course. I used to have a lot more fun when I didn't care so much about scoring so well.
    Excellent. I have fun no matter what, I'm outside enjoying my favourite pasttime. I'm also a bit of a propeller head, so I also like the stats and keep track of most things it seems. I have software that I could do it all while I play, but it turned out to be a "measuring device" and I can't use it for official rounds
    Colby

Excellent. I have fun no matter what, I'm outside enjoying my favourite pasttime.
    You're lucky. I love the game, but the my attitude sucks when I'm not doing well.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Feeling any pressure yet Farzin?

The best part of golf is knowing that it's just a game and all for fun. For those of you who get upset and frustrated over bad shots, etc.... suck it up and remember why you are there in the first place. It's all fun.

As my challenge goes to Farzin... we can play by the OG Tour rules if he wants. I'm sure that we won't be hastling eachother on the course in that way. I'm just happy that I get the opportunity to have a brew and score a few with the funniest guy on Tour....

Bailey
    Feeling any pressure yet Farzin? suck it up

I'm just happy that I get the opportunity to score a few with the funniest guy on Tour....
    Now thats what i call ..... the door being WIDE OPEN!!!!!!!!!

messing with words, eh? Argh! :reallymad

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey
    Now thats what i call ..... the door being WIDE OPEN!!!!!!!!!
    LOL...

I like Bailey...

LOL...

I like Bailey...
    we all do.... sometimes!

You're lucky. I love the game, but the my attitude sucks when I'm not doing well.
    I'm not always happy with my play, but I still have fun. I'm out there playing against myself for the most part, if I win some games with my compatriots, then it makes it even better. I don't mind paying when it's my due, especially if I have played well and been beaten, it's when I don't play well, and get beat that makes me grumpy with myself.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I'm not always happy with my play, but I still have fun. I'm out there playing against myself for the most part, if I win some games with my compatriots, then it makes it even better. I don't mind paying when it's my due, especially if I have played well and been beaten, it's when I don't play well, and get beat that makes me grumpy with myself.
    That's why I prefer wagering in beer rather than cash. Easier to enjoy losing if you get to share the pitchers with the victor.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

it's when I don't play well, and get beat that makes me grumpy with myself.
    and others.

and others.
    When have I been grumpy with anyone else? I've never even thrown a club, not like some...

coughcoughsandbaggercoughcough

thread jack alert!
    Colby

Thread Information