100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge dpanco is on a distinguished road

Grounding the Putter

I've heard of this happenning while watching some PGA events, however each time this occurs, it seems they talk about everything BUT the details of this rule. Can someone explain this rule?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There's no rule against grounding your putter.

The issue is that if the ball moves after addressing the ball, there is a penalty. See the definition of addressing the ball from the rules below.

Addressing the Ball
    A player has “addressed the ball’’ when he has taken his stance and has also grounded his club, except that in a hazard a player has addressed the ball when he has taken his stance.

Pitching Wedge dpanco is on a distinguished road
    Ah-ha! Thanks for the clarification.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    If I addressed my balls, do you think people would mail them back to me when they find them in the bushes?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    If I addressed my balls, do you think people would mail them back to me when they find them in the bushes?

That may very well be the Punniest joke of the week

7 Iron jayda is on a distinguished road jayda's Avatar
    I believe the player doesn't ground his putter if it's for simple tap-in and on other player's line...

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    If you are watching tour events and there are very high winds many of the players will not ground their putter just in case the ball is moved by the wind. A case of knowing the rule and the possible penalty and using it to your advantage.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip
    If you are watching tour events and there are very high winds many of the players will not ground their putter just in case the ball is moved by the wind. A case of knowing the rule and the possible penalty and using it to your advantage.
    Jack Nicklaus is reputed never to have grounded his putter for this very reason.

1 Iron manitoulin is on a distinguished road manitoulin's Avatar
    Who want to ground there putter, if you do ground it to the side, like jasper he comes inches to hitting his ball while practice putting.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Addressing the Ball
    A player has “addressed the ball’’ when he has taken his stance and has also grounded his club, except that in a hazard a player has addressed the ball when he has taken his stance.
    Does this have to happen simultaneously for the "address" to be complete? If I touch the ground with my club and when I begin moving my feet into position I also lift the club off the ground, have I "addressed" the ball? At no time were both the club on the ground AND my stance completed, and before I swing the club is still off the ground.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    When you ground your club is important. You cannot ground your club in a hazard, but you can use it to regain your balance, or search for a ball.

If you don't want to be called for causing your ball to move, then you want to be seen to be following the letter and intent of the rule. If it's difficult to distinguish between when you have taken your stance and when you have grounded your club while you have taken your stance, then you're setting yourself up for a dispute. The rule does not state that you must be in a certain position at a point in time, so if you are grounding your club at any point during the time that you are taking your stance, I would say that is incontravertible proof you have addressed the ball.

For instance, if you ground your club behind the ball, then begin to take your stance while you lift the club, then I would argue that you have addressed the ball. I would say that it's equal to addressing the ball, then stepping back, in the mistaken belief that you can 'un-address' the ball and 're-address' the ball.

If you ground your club at any point in your routine to address the ball, then I would argue that you have addressed the ball. On the other hand, I would argue that you have not addressed the ball if your grounding the club is separate and distinct from your routine to address the ball.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Does this have to happen simultaneously for the "address" to be complete? If I touch the ground with my club and when I begin moving my feet into position I also lift the club off the ground, have I "addressed" the ball? At no time were both the club on the ground AND my stance completed, and before I swing the club is still off the ground.
    This is one of those funny rules. There was an incident on the LPGA last year where the player was in her pre-shot routine and backed away. A couple of seconds later the ball started to roll down the hill and eventually came to rest.

There was a long debate as to whether she had actually "addressed" the ball or not since part of her routine included grounding the club. In that particular case they looked at some tape of her routine and if I remember correctly determined that she had not "addressed" the ball since her pre-shot routine was not complete and the grounding of the club was not part of addressing the ball.

Of course there are also people who never ground the club when addressing the ball, so the obvious question is how do you apply the rule to them?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Of course there are also people who never ground the club when addressing the ball, so the obvious question is how do you apply the rule to them?
    Not grounding your club doesn't mean you haven't addressed it.

With golf being a game of honour, the question is ultimately left with the player. IMO, "addressing" the ball is the short time just prior to executing the stroke where all of your preparation, or "pre-shot" processes have ended.

Jim Furyk's putting routine is a good example. There's that moment where he grounds the putter behind the ball, and then a split second later he backs off and takes a last look at the line. Has he "addressed" the ball in that instant. No. But, if he causes the ball to move as a result of that action, because his ball is in play, he has broken Rule 18-2 and incurs a one stroke penalty.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Not grounding your club doesn't mean you haven't addressed it.
    Addressing the Ball
    A player has “addressed the ball’’ when he has taken his stance AND has also grounded his club, except that in a hazard a player has addressed the ball when he has taken his stance.

Oh yes it does !!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Addressing the Ball
    A player has “addressed the ball’’ when he has taken his stance AND has also grounded his club, except that in a hazard a player has addressed the ball when he has taken his stance.

Oh yes it does !!!
    ...except that in a hazard a player has addressed the ball when he has taken his stance.

Oh no it don't.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information