100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    There is nothing wrong with having fun and guys/girls throwing in the odd comment in a thread so that we all can have a laugh, but lately it's been too much IMO. You can't read a thread without the same members taking over with the same old jokes and comments. It gets annoying when you are actually tryiong to get something out of the knowledgable posters on here. There are tons of sections on this forum, so why do all of them have to be dominated by the same people? Why not use the chat or the humour section? Or even say a joke that has something to do with the topic a littl ebit not the off the wall, inside jokes about the same stuff all the time. The fact is most of the banter is not pertinent to the topic, even when you have admitted posters that are flooding the site with crap just to get their post rating up there seems to be nothing done of late.

I started coming here because I wanted info on how to be a better golfer, learn the rules and buy/trade golf stuff. I like the sports section and read the almost anything and jokes. Usually there is tons of stuff there that I don't care about but it doesn't bother me because it is in the right section. But when I want to know about a certain club or instruction tip and it gets taken over or you have to filter through all the crap to ind one thread regarding the topic, it gets to be a bit much. Personnally I use to love this site because it was the best place on the web to get tips and local golf knowledge, lately I've been on other sites that still want to talk about golf.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    All valid points Denny. But like Dan said, we can't moderate banter. In that case, they are really doing anything against the rules. And when something gets out of hand we do step in. Other than that all I can suggest is to put the people you find offend the most and put them on your ignore list. That way their replies will be filtered out of a thread and you can read the info you might be looking for.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Unofrtunately Denny, things change, and not always for the better from any one person's perspective. I left that other forum because I too grew tired of the way it had become, unruly and boring. I found I was spending too much time moderating, and not enough contributing, then in the end I just got tired of it altogether, so I left. Sometimes the people that are irritating get tired of it and move on too, but the thing is there is always another one to crop up and replace them, just like there is always another person to help or moderate crop up and replace those that leave as well.

I try not to resist change, but embrace for what I can get out of it for the better. "Resistance is futile" and "change is good donkey" play high in my mottos for dealing with things that are changing.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I think if we made a "on the couch" and "club ho" thread alot of this could be avoided. Lets get serious thats whats getting done to death. I've noticed it, you've noticed it , anyone that come here all the time has noticed it. Obviously sometmes people fight points to death but w/e its a message board that kinda stuff happens but I dont' think thats what most of us are refering to. We can all post how you can skip it if you don't wanna read it but cummon now. Am I the only one who has seen this!?

Probably not dH. But to be honest, I dont' know if starting a "On the couch" or "Club Ho" thread will stop it. Its a running joke around here that will probably never die. So if you feel some people keep bringing up the same thing and you don't want to read it, put them on your ignore list. You won't have to read about that stuff again. You might miss out on other stuff those members have to say, but that's really the only answer to your problem.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I don't want to completely block them out!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Holy sheep Martha! I go away for a 3 hour meeting and come back to my post being hijacked and all hell breaking loose Its going to take me the rest of the night to read and respond appropriately (or not)

Sorry guys, I thought it was an innocent enough question to ask and was really interested in finding out what made some people in her 'tick'..... guess I will know now! LMAO

Oh Indio, you are so such an ........
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I don't want to completely block them out!
    You'd rather we moderators spend hours a day policing the banter?

Yes Dan thats exactly what I want. Obviously not I think someone made a good point earlier.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH
    We can all post how you can skip it if you don't wanna read it but cummon now. Am I the only one who has seen this!?
    Sure we have dH, but what else can you do. You realize I am sure how hard it is to change yourself, so from that point of reference I think you can see how it is almost impossible to change others.

You are just as unlikely to get people to change their ways in posting to the forum as you are of getting other drivers to move out of you way when they are driving slower than you are. I used to have mental fits about this, now I just move on and try not to let things like that rent space in my head.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

I have nothing more to say on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    You'd rather we moderators spend hours a day policing the banter?

No, but you used to have tighter control on threads being flooded and taken off topic. Why is it wrong to ask people to post that stuff in the humour section? I can't post whatever I want in any section I want, so why should countless banter be any different. And I think there is a difference between banter and on topic jokes, its the other stuff that we're talking about. Yes, I can block everyone who does it but then again I could just stick my head in sand and pretend that the world is a perfect place, but I don't intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    No, but you used to have tighter control on threads being flooded and taken off topic. Why is it wrong to ask people to post that stuff in the humour section? I can't post whatever I want in any section I want, so why should countless banter be any different. And I think there is a difference between banter and on topic jokes, its the other stuff that we're talking about. Yes, I can block everyone who does it but then again I could just stick my head in sand and pretend that the world is a perfect place, but I don't intend to.
    You can't post every piece of banter in the humour section. Sometimes a joke is related to the topic. You are not going to start a seperate thread for a single remark.

Maybe you don't intend to pretend that the world is a perfect place, but looks like you are asking us to make it as perfect as possible. Just my opinion btw.

The thing is you need to draw a line at what is and isn't permitted when it comes to rules and moderation.

I think (hope) that a thread like this will go a long way in improving things around here. It's great that such a potentially problematic topic has gone over 70 posts without anyone taking anything too personally.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Agreed Dan. I agree with the general tone of this thread in that things have gotten a bit out of hand. It seems people are sometimes fascinated at seeing their stuff in print . Maybe this discussion will give everyone pause before they post...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    It seems like we have veered off course from the original question that was asked.....we are now talking about "Thread Jacking" which in and of itself could be considered a highjack of this particular thread

But it is a great discussion and a perfect example of why I don't mind the wandering discussions, if I don't like where something is going I choose not to read it....end of story for me.

Well, since I started the thread, I don't have a problem with it but hell, this whole thread has been hijacked by a couple of people who want to make their views known once again. I respect their opinions and wish them well in finding a place that will provide them exactly what they are looking for. They just don't exist and if the do, are probably boring as hell and frequented by the same serious surfers for a total of 5 to 10 minutes a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    You can't post every piece of banter in the humour section. Sometimes a joke is related to the topic. You are not going to start a seperate thread for a single remark.

Maybe you don't intend to pretend that the world is a perfect place, but looks like you are asking us to make it as perfect as possible. Just my opinion btw.
    That's the key isn't it. I too have played along when it has something to do with the topic but here is a good example of a recent thread:

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=18283

Don't be afraid of improvement. Perfection is not obtainable but it doesn't mean one should just give up on the quest to obtain it. Everyone can do something to make this site better. I have decided to ignore all post from richard, although my monitor has dent marks from trying to prove lobwedge wrong!, and that will cut down on the pointless arguments that others hate to read. Thus making it a better place for them to visit, see we can all do something.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic as well, but I wish the others who are tired of this would speak up and maybe something would be done, or maybe dh and I are the minority and it's time we fill our ignore lists......who knows.

And for the record Indio, I actually answered your original question but you answered only one part of my answer and by adding your own thoughts on another topic opened the door to a sub-topic within your thread.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I took a while before getting on the site and actually posting but after awhile I got the feeling that there are a lot of neat people here. I will go out on alimb here and say I am probably the oldest here (61) and beloeve it or not I enjoy most of the bantering etc---untill it gets personel--then I move on.
    To be quite honest I really get a kick out of some of the jokes etc.---Life is just too bloody short.
    I have gotten good pointers from reading some of the posts and also been able to buy good items at fair prices.
    For the people that like to attack--I dont think we will see any of them at the Forum Day and that is just fine with me; but on the serious side I am really looking forward to it--hope the weather co-operates.
    Yeah I am 61, will probably play 80 plus games this year and I will continue to post and I will continue to ---its all the people around you that allow you to do that regardless of what age you are--its too bad it takes a heart attack to make you realize that--
    Thanks for the laughs etc
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

It seems like we have veered off course from the original question that was asked.....
    Conversation flows. In my opinion this thread has not strayed off topic at all. The topic was why do people get peeved online and ruin threads. It seems that it's developing into being about threads getting overrun in any number of ways would be a topical progression to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dH
    Funny you said that. I was thinking he must be golfing or in a traffic jam as he hasen't participated in this thread yet.

Other forums have a rule against like 1,2, 3 word posts etc... or just a smiley.

dH. Are you suggesting that the forum management should implement and enforce a bunch of rules that we would all have to abide by? If so, I am definitely not for something like that. Look at our legal system with all the silly assed laws, people try to find ways around them and then get their ass sued from here to kingdowm come. If the forum were to implement nothing less than 3 word rules or no emoticon rules, I think you would find traffic way down and a lot less threads. I am not sure that is what the advertisers on this forum are looking for. I know I certainly wouldn't be on here as much, I would go find another place for my entertainment/relaxation/enjoyment (ok, stop doing the happy dance people, I am not going anywhere) and just come back here to arrange golf games for a total of 10 minutes a day. The other problem would be enforcing the rules. You think there are issues in here right now with flaming and 'debates' I think all hell would break lose in here. But again, this is my personal opinion which hey, could be way out in left field but it is an opinion.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    My God --it took me 24 minutes to do my post -I have to type faster or I will be lost in the dust!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I had already admitted to being guilty of what you are trying to say Denny. And with zoic's recent reply I will be more diligent in posting only pertinent info or stuff related to moderating. But why are you so up in a bind about this? The original poster did not have a problem with it. Why do you? Trust me Denny, I know who I can joke with around here, and who not to. And don't think I didn't know you were going to post something related to me before I clicked on the link.

If you want serious golf there are lots of sites out there, WRX, BSG. But heaven's forbid if you want to have a view against one of the moderators there. You will be banned and then be looking for another place to visit. In my defence Denny, I'm just trying to have fun. Keep it light around here. I think one of the more serious concerns around here should be the increase in personal attacks lately, which is why Indio started this thread.

I for one, don't see why so many people are worked up about this. But like I said, its just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex
    Just for the record guys... I can tell you from extensive experience that moderating is much more difficult than any of you might think. It is easy to criticize the volunteers who do the work.
    The solution is not better moderating, but better behaviour from the members...

Reid, I am with you on that one. I was a moderator in the Canada Forum on CompuServe for 3 years and it was a thankless job. No pay, mostly unappreciated and rediculed behind your back and for waht, not a penny, purely volunteer.

I will NEVER criticize a Mod, they are only following 'instructions' and those that speak up often and participate, are adding to the pleaseure the site visit by showing thay are human and actually care about what they are doing. I tip my cap to Dan for his choice of Moderators in here, they are all exceptional (Is this another thread jack?)

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    I support dbleber's position in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    dH. Are you suggesting that the forum management should implement and enforce a bunch of rules that we would all have to abide by? If so, I am definitely not for something like that. Look at our legal system with all the silly assed laws, people try to find ways around them and then get their ass sued from here to kingdowm come. If the forum were to implement nothing less than 3 word rules or no emoticon rules, I think you would find traffic way down and a lot less threads. I am not sure that is what the advertisers on this forum are looking for. I know I certainly wouldn't be on here as much, I would go find another place for my entertainment/relaxation/enjoyment (ok, stop doing the happy dance people, I am not going anywhere) and just come back here to arrange golf games for a total of 10 minutes a day. The other problem would be enforcing the rules. You think there are issues in here right now with flaming and 'debates' I think all hell would break lose in here. But again, this is my personal opinion which hey, could be way out in left field but it is an opinion.
    I'm keeping true to the point that I have nothing more to say about this topic.

For the record though.....

No!!!!! I hate regulation more than anyone.

I believe Reid and I were the only people against the smoking ban because it limits personal freedoms.

I'd continue on but I have nothing more to say about this.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    It's times like this that I am glad I gave up being an OG moderator...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    But I have to ask one question. Why does someone visit this site?

I know the obvious answers:

I love learning/reading/talking about golf.

So, what's the big deal if some of us (I don't know why not more) have some fun here? Do you not visit here to get away from the daily routine of your job? Take a little time for yourself to do something related to this sport we all love so much?
    Why would anyone want it to be so serious here then? I've been on sites where moderators threaten their members to not post anything that might be considered negative in one of their threads. Do we want that here? And unless you are trying to run a business in the B/S/T (which we have rules against such an instant) why not let someone chime in if they have some pertinent info that might help someone sell/trade their equipment? OK, maybe sometimes it does get out of hand, and perhaps I'm guilty of it. But just trying to keep it fun and light hearted here. And for those that don't realize, anytime someone responds to a B/S/T post it goes to the top. At the top=more views.

I personally enjoy this site more than any I visit. And believe me, with a lot of down time at my job I do have time to visit lots of sites, golf related or other. There isn't one site I'd rather be a more contributing member to. The members here are the best I've ever come across. And like Dan said, its the members that make a site great. I couldn't agree more.
    Mr. Johnston, I tip my cap to you. I love golf, I play golf, I enjoy the company of people who play golf. But I also enjoy downtime and relaxation and that means humor to me. Do I want to sit and read thread after thread after thread of degree of loft, how pretty a particualr club is, and listen to about 50 'experts' tell me what is wrong with my swing and my thought process! Not really, ya, if I am interested I will read a particular 'experts' thread and think about it but thats not what brings me here, it is the people, yes even those I disagree with! I respect everyones right to their thoughts and opinions, I do not appreciate THEIR opinions being shoved down my throat as I would not shove my opinion down theirs....

The one good thing here is at least this thread isn't in a golfing forum

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    And for the record Indio, I actually answered your original question but you answered only one part of my answer and by adding your own thoughts on another topic opened the door to a sub-topic within your thread.
    For the record dbleber, I never said you didn't. I chose not to respond to some of your points to keep it civilized. That is how I deal with stuf I disagree with in here or that I feel just isn't worth responding to or reading. I ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Do I want to sit and read thread after thread after thread of degree of loft, how pretty a particualr club is, and listen to about 50 'experts' tell me what is wrong with my swing and my thought process!

I know I said I was done but this is priceless! Golf talk about real golf issues on a golf site! That is crazy! You could always ignore it or put people who want to talk about golf, on a golfsite, on your ignore list?

And for the record Geoff, I do think being a moderator is a hard job and I don't take anything way from all of you but I think any position of authority, for lack of a better word, comes responsibility to lead by example. And even though you are having fun, you as a moderator should be the first one to say this getting offf tpoic lets go talk about it the chat room or open a new thread in the appropriate section, that's just my opinion. But I am not surprised that you knew the link would involve you.........I did quote and highlite your text. People may have a problem with it getting out of hand because they would expect that on a MSN website not a golf site.

I'm done, I swear.................

Thanks Indio, but not looking to have anyone tip their cap towards me.

I can understand why Reid relinquished his moderating duties. I'd be lying to you if I said its been nothing but smooth sailing since I've been a moderator on this site. Sure I've had my run ins with some forum members, and yes it has sometimes bothered me in my day to day life. Even though I am a volunteer, some things have bothered me enough to creep into my personal life. But seeing threads like this, working with forum members to try and make it a more enjoyable place for all is very rewarding to me. Even though this is not my brainchild, I do feel proud like a parent when we get compliments on the site. I do my best to contribute the best I can, and help out members that have troubling issues. And believe it or not I do have a life outside this site (even though I spend so much time here ). But everyday I look forward to logging in and seeing what everyone had to say while was away. Be it good or bad, I read them all. A tweak here, a tweak there, a reply here, a reply there. I thoroughly enjoy chatting with each and everyone of you. And enjoy it even more when I can actually get out for a round and meet you in person. This is a great site, which has probably grown well beyond Mr. Kilbank's wildest expectations, so to satisfy everyone is next to impossible. But we do the best we can. We take all criticisms and opinions to heart (at least I do) and discuss them amongst ourselves. But the site will never be able to accomodate everyone, we do the best for the general public and leave it to the individual member to make what they will of the site.

Thread Information