CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    There has been a lot of that lately, posting merely for the sake of it and adding nothing to the topic just to see that post-count increase.
    Some sites in the "Buy, Sell or Trade", only authorise the poster to add to his/her post. If you want to deal you have to us Private Messaging... It really cuts out all the BS posts.. wouldn't be a bad idea to implement here.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Some sites in the "Buy, Sell or Trade", only authorise the poster to add to his/her post. If you want to deal you have to us Private Messaging... It really cuts out all the BS posts.. wouldn't be a bad idea to implement here.
    Unfortunately it kills the Want ads in many of the sites in which it has been implemented. Some banter and club discussion is fun in the want ads as it often provides more information for potential buyers.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex
    Unfortunately it kills the Want ads in many of the sites in which it has been implemented. Some banter and club discussion is fun in the want ads as it often provides more information for potential buyers.
    As long as the banter and discussion is about the club itself and not about everything else, which has been the case as of late. Otherwise the banter and discussion is just thread jacking and takes away from the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    As long as the banter and discussion is about the club itself and not about everything else, which has been the case as of late. Otherwise the banter and discussion is just thread jacking and takes away from the seller.
    Agree with you 100%
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    So, I have been looking back at a few threads from the past couple of weeks that have to say the least, 'gone south' It is interesting to look at the thread from the first post through to where it gets locked up or it borders on getting locked up.

So what is it that makes us put so much passion into an internet discussion thread with people we have mostly never met and do not know what they are really like from day to day?

Is it our competitive nature? Is it a sense of being more knowledgable than the other guy/gal? Is it just playing with the other person's emotions? Could it be you have made a decision that you just don't like the other poster and will do anything t piss him/her off? Do we get enjoyment out of slamming somone we really don't know? Not a pole or anything like that, just love to hear some points of view from those that like to debate and those like me that don't care to debate cause 'it just ain't important enough in life'

Any thoughts?
    Anonymity (for the most part). There's safety in the shadows.

Every time I see a thread where a crazy argument starts, I'm always reminded of a quote I read somewhere that makes me giggle (even though it's not exactly "PC"). "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. No one really wins, and you're still retarded."
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    So what is it that makes us put so much passion into an internet discussion thread with people we have mostly never met and do not know what they are really like from day to day?
    It seems like we have veered off course from the original question that was asked.....we are now talking about "Thread Jacking" which in and of itself could be considered a highjack of this particular thread

But it is a great discussion and a perfect example of why I don't mind the wandering discussions, if I don't like where something is going I choose not to read it....end of story for me.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Also agree 100%.

The mods just need to start laying it down on thread jacking for the classified forums as well as all the others. Just look throught he posts its ridiculous. We all know what I'm talking about here.

If Denny wanted to I think he'd be a great mod. Like I said ... IF HE WANTED TO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    It seems like we have veered off course from the original question that was asked.....we are now talking about "Thread Jacking" which in and of itself could be considered a highjack of this particular thread

But it is a great discussion and a perfect example of why I don't mind the wandering discussions, if I don't like where something is going I choose not to read it....end of story for me.

Yeah but if you see it wandering so you just stop reading it it detracts from the fact that if it didn't have jibberish you may of continued reading it and posted valuable input in which the original poster sought to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. No one really wins, and you're still retarded."
    That's def. not PC, but it is funny and true. i think most arguments would be avoided face to face because you would be able to see the person intensions through facial expressions and tone of voice, the keyboard is somewhat lacking and it is easy to take things the wrong way.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH
    Also agree 100%.

The mods just need to start laying it down on thread jacking for the classified forums as well as all the others. Just look throught he posts its ridiculous. We all know what I'm talking about here.

If Denny wanted to I think he'd be a great mod. Like I said ... IF HE WANTED TO.
    The only reason that classifieds get jacked (including left-handed and women's) is that Geoff always manages to factor in somehow.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

That's def. not PC, but it is funny and true. i think most arguments would be avoided face to face because you would be able to see the person intensions through facial expressions and tone of voice, the keyboard is somewhat lacking and it is easy to take things the wrong way.
    That, and it's impossible to punch someone through your monitor.

The only reason that classifieds get jacked (including left-handed and women's) is that Geoff always manages to factor in some how.
    Funny you said that. I was thinking he must be golfing or in a traffic jam as he hasen't participated in this thread yet.

Other forums have a rule against like 1,2, 3 word posts etc... or just a smiley.

Also agree 100%.

I would be interested if Dan needed more help, but I think some may think that I would have to heavy of a hand and I'm no angel when it comes to getting fired up too quickly! But thanks for the nomination!

Yeah but if you see it wandering so you just stop reading it it detracts from the fact that if it didn't have jibberish you may of continued reading it and posted valuable input in which the original poster sought to begin with.
    I scroll past all of the jibberish

I really see this as a personal preferences thing, some people like turnips, some people don't. Some people mind discussions going off topic, some people don't...

Just for the record guys... I can tell you from extensive experience that moderating is much more difficult than any of you might think. It is easy to criticize the volunteers who do the work.
    The solution is not better moderating, but better behaviour from the members...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Interesting comments. I agree the banter has been a bit much lately, but we don't need a rule about it. If I tried to moderate friendly banter I'd get a lot of heat.

Best if those involved just take note of these comments and tone it down a bit.

Just for the record guys... I can tell you from extensive experience that moderating is much more difficult than any of you might think. It is easy to criticize the volunteers who do the work.
    Agreed. Self-moderation is the key. It seems to me (and I'm guilty of this too) that it's too easy to fire off a half-baked reply in a forum. It's much, much harder to do that in person. It's the "shoot first, ask questions later" attitude.

Well said, Reid. Food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Interesting comments. I agree the banter has been a bit much lately, but we don't need a rule about it. If I tried to moderate friendly banter I'd get a lot of heat.

Best if those involved just take note of these comments and tone it down a bit.
    I think you should make Denny a moderator for the Forsale forum.

I know lots and lots of people that come through STRICTLY for buying clubs. Those that also post fanatically in the other sections are a different breed. I think its safe to assume a large portion of the membership only registered so they could send a PM regarding the purchase of clubs...

I think you should make Denny a moderator for the Forsale forum.

I know lots and lots of people that come through STRICTLY for buying clubs. Those that also post fanatically in the other sections are a different breed. I think its safe to assume a large portion of the membership only registered so they could send a PM regarding the purchase of clubs...
    Dan, is it possible to make classified threads only accessible to the author and mods (bumping and price changes, etc), and make potential buyers have to reply by PM only?

Dan, is it possible to make classified threads only accessible to the author and mods (bumping and price changes, etc), and make potential buyers have to reply by PM only?
    I sure hope the Classifieds don't go that way...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I can't speak for Dan, but they've tried this on another forum I visit. I inquired about a putter over a month ago and still haven't heard back from the seller. Some people just never check their pms and some people don't allow emails via the site (I know I don't). So posting in their thread is sometimes the only way to get their attention. And from visiting this other site daily, the members have recently asked to have the B/S/T put back the way it was before were anyone could reply to a thread.

Like I posted back a few days ago, I really like this site. Like the members and the way it is moderated. I've visited way too many sites that are just too boring and uninteresting because of the lack of forum member interaction. What's the point of having discussion boards if you can't discuss in some of the forums?

There dH, I responded just for you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

That would stink in my opinion as others can post to help sell it etc... People jsut can't hijack it w/ inside jokes. Everyone involved knows and has read this thread...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I have no intention to limit posting in the buy sell forums.

I usually pick those I ask if they'd like to be moderators. It's not a nomination process, but thanks for stepping up debler!

"Richard"
    you are like one of those people that has an opinion and then your logic and comon sense goes out the window so you can back up that opinion at all costs. Its actually the exact oposite. Lets say someone has a driver thread and it gets jacked by hacker, indio and myself... well instead of having 1 post with an ad, it instead has 30 posts and is upto two pages and everyone click on it to see what is so great about this driver and someone buys it. More hits = more likely to sell. Same with ebay, same with houses. If you were a agent selling a house you would probably want the people coming into the house to only talk about the house and nothing else because it would take away from the "house" maybe limit the viewings to only "serious" buyers but I guess you would lose out on the people who aren't serious, fall in love with the house and buy it (I've done that 3 times in the last two years).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Lets say someone has a driver thread and it gets jacked by hacker, indio and myself... well instead of having 1 post with an ad, it instead has 30 posts and is upto two pages and everyone click on it to see what is so great about this driver and someone buys it. More hits = more likely to sell.
    I believe the industry saying is all publicity is good publicity

....and as for all this innuendo about those that some perceive as "Bad Posters", why not send off a PM and voice your concerns instead of simply alluding to things in a public forum

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    I enjoy reading the occasional banter. If I find it is too much I move on.
    I'm moving on.
    Back at it.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    So admirably phrased and so undeniably true. I moderated a linux forum for almost 4 years, and we had some real wing dings, never mind thread hijacking, they tried to hijack an entire forum, often. We actually had to ban about 10 people, and three of them were so persistent, we had to ban an entire block of IP addresses to gain control back. It got so severe with one of them the authorities we contacted to stop it.

I have to agree completely with Dan, the users must be responsible for the own behaviour for the most part, people have moods, bad days etc...

We also had our usual fair of complainers about the problems, and we always politely suggested they "take the high road", ignore threads they did not like, block users who offended them so they do not have to read the posts (works here too, blocks the post from the user). The reality is no one makes anyone else read their thread, it is all about choice.

I was the highest poster in that other forum, at 18,000, and I am quite sure that 4000-5000 of those were just banter, but no one ever complained since I had over 10,000 post that were just helping other users to get things working for them.

The best thing everyone can do when posting is think about whether they would say it in a group of strangers face to face, or whether they would just think it instead. I have tamed back on posting since leaving the other forum, because I realized finally that it is unlikely that very many people really want to know my every thought on every post.

Balance is the key.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by zoic

The best thing everyone can do when posting is think about whether they would say it in a group of strangers face to face, or whether they would just think it instead. I have tamed back on posting since leaving the other forum, because I realized finally that it is unlikely that very many people really want to know my every thought on every post.

Balance is the key.
    Very well put zoic. I think I will use this as my basis for future posts.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

But I have to ask one question. Why does someone visit this site?

I know the obvious answers:

I love learning/reading/talking about golf.

So, what's the big deal if some of us (I don't know why not more) have some fun here? Do you not visit here to get away from the daily routine of your job? Take a little time for yourself to do something related to this sport we all love so much?
    Why would anyone want it to be so serious here then? I've been on sites where moderators threaten their members to not post anything that might be considered negative in one of their threads. Do we want that here? And unless you are trying to run a business in the B/S/T (which we have rules against such an instant) why not let someone chime in if they have some pertinent info that might help someone sell/trade their equipment? OK, maybe sometimes it does get out of hand, and perhaps I'm guilty of it. But just trying to keep it fun and light hearted here. And for those that don't realize, anytime someone responds to a B/S/T post it goes to the top. At the top=more views.

I personally enjoy this site more than any I visit. And believe me, with a lot of down time at my job I do have time to visit lots of sites, golf related or other. There isn't one site I'd rather be a more contributing member to. The members here are the best I've ever come across. And like Dan said, its the members that make a site great. I couldn't agree more.

I sure hope the Classifieds don't go that way...
    It's not my intention to make it sound like a bad thing or that bad things are happening, but it would sure help streamline traffic in there and keep the real "discussion" to the appropriate forums. I see it as an enhancement, and a benefit for all, especially sellers.

Thread Information