100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    I know I said I was done but this is priceless! Golf talk about real golf issues on a golf site! That is crazy! You could always ignore it or put people who want to talk about golf, on a golfsite, on your ignore list?

And for the record Geoff, I do think being a moderator is a hard job and I don't take anything way from all of you but I think any position of authority, for lack of a better word, comes responsibility to lead by example. And even though you are having fun, you as a moderator should be the first one to say this getting offf tpoic lets go talk about it the chat room or open a new thread in the appropriate section, that's just my opinion. But I am not surprised that you knew the link would involve you.........I did quote and highlite your text. People may have a problem with it getting out of hand because they would expect that on a MSN website not a golf site.

I'm done, I swear.................
    I'm not denying what I have done Denny. And for the record have stated I will be more considerate in the future. But take a look at my threads, most get threadjacked/ banter input within minutes of me posting. But do I complain, no. Its all part of the fun here. But not to get into mudslinging, I did a search of a select members of recent posts (and yes you were included) and to tell you the truth, most had a few incidents of threadjacking or off topic banter. Its just the nature of the beast on an internet discussion board. Its going to happen. And like Dan said, we can't spend hours a day editing/deleting all off topic banter. Just not possible.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 09-15-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Wow , when i started reading this , it was only 2 pages long !! Now i've forgotten what the thread topic was again !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    If you want serious golf there are lots of sites out there, WRX, BSG. But heaven's forbid if you want to have a view against one of the moderators there. You will be banned and then be looking for another place to visit.
    I've seen this first hand. I asked a question about the difference between "Tour" and retail when someone was selling a "Tour" issued 906F2 for $1200 and I had my account suspended for 3 days. The explanation was that I was trying to put down "Tour" equipment and that I should read every thread regarding it, eventhough there was nothing on the 906F series.

Anyway, I'm glad dleber posted an example of what he was talking about, because I was getting lost for a second and couldn't figure out what "bantering" was referring to.

In my opinion, this place would be pretty stale if you regulated the kind of stuff that dleber used as an example. If I wanted to read a classified ad with no discussion I would pick up a newspaper. I don't see harm in poking fun at someone if you know each other or that is your human nature.

For example, I'll poke fun at another member about a spelling mistake just for fun because the same has been done to me. I frequently mix up accept and except and people call me on it all the time. It doesn't bother me though and I don't think it has anything to do with the topic when people poke fun some of the time, but who cares in all honesty?! How many face to face conversations are you going to have with a group of people where it stays specifically on topic for the entire time? I'd venture to guess not many. There will always be someone in the group who will add their commentary to your story or say something off topic. I don't see why it's such a big deal on a golf DISCUSSION board.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey everyone relax--check out "golfbums" thread--"feeling frustrated"--2nd one down
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    I know I said I was done but this is priceless! Golf talk about real golf issues on a golf site! That is crazy! You could always ignore it or put people who want to talk about golf, on a golfsite, on your ignore list?
    I believe you misunderstood me dbleber and I will translate what I said into plain english, I don't want to read through all the golf crap that the so called self proclaimed EXPERTS provide to people to confuse them. I will go to a real expert for that. I agree there are some very qualified golfers in here, but there are also those who provide expert advice on that which they do not know. And for the record, I have several people on my ignore list for exactly that reason . Other I don't block cause I find it amusing to see them up on their soap box preaching to the masses about what we should think and how we should act! If I didn't like it here, I would just shut my mouth and go where I thought was a better site, but I plan on staying cause there are some great, funny, friendly and tolerant people here
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I know from personal experience that the only reason I joined this forum was to buy one set of irons 2 years ago. I was one of the people being spoken of who would just hop on, ask a couple questions about shafts, cavitby backs etc., then leave. Then, once I found a set, I didn't visit nearly so often. I would stop in now and then and throw in a comment, but nothing major.

Aside from the occasional visit when, surprise surprise, I wanted new clubs, I didn't visit the site much until this past winter. I came back looking for some info on clubs, equipment, and, after finding out that my regular golfing buddies would not be in ottawa for the summer, to try to get to know some people who I might end up golfing with. Well, of course once I was on here I couldn't avoid the sports debates. And, I just had to throw in my opinion on best beer, movie, and concert, etc. Since then I have become a regular poster, and quite often a contributor to the banter.

I guess my point is, because of the nature of this board - the fact there is such a variety of threads, that go off on such a variety of tangents - it is a really fun place to be. I have been fully sucked in, and am glad of it.

I came here to capture the, the sights, the sounds, the smells, of a hard-working group of Ottawa Golfers. And I got that. But I got more, a lot more. But hey -- enough of my yakkin'. Whaddaya say, let's boogie!

speaking of tangents...sorry about the Spinal Tap adaptation...but I was inspired and had to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dH
    No!!!!! I hate regulation more than anyone.
    I believe Reid and I were the only people against the smoking ban because it limits personal freedoms.
    I'd continue on but I have nothing more to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    Hey everyone relax--check out "golfbums" thread--"feeling frustrated"--2nd one down
    Personally, I post threads like this to relieve my frustrations I was frustrated with the flaming that was going on in a couple of threads yesterday so I posted this! Now I feel much better but I think I have frustrated a few others

Oh well, life sucks sometimes

"Indio"--did you ever think it might be the weather?

"Richard"
    Or maybe its SLEEPING ON THE SOFA (am I allowed to talk about that in this thread?)

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I love this forum cause I love golf, I love knowledge and I really love personalities. I only wish I lived closer to enjoy those personalities up close and personal signed Frank the yank

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I have noticed lately that a lot of lurkers have decided to join because they thought that the forum sounded like a great friendly place to make friends and such. Possibly they like the bantering, and also possible to lose some that don't like it I guess. But of couse I could be wrong, I may not have noticed in the past

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    [quote=Dan Kilbank]I have no intention to limit posting in the buy sell forums.

quote]

Thanks for that, As you know Dan "THE OTHER FORUM" operates that way and now it call comes down to the PM's which does not always work.
    Members are crying for it to be put back the way it was, but no go.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    "Indio"--did you ever think it might be the weather?
    , why didn't I think of that.... OK guys, all this was for nothing, Big Mac figured out the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Or maybe its SLEEPING ON THE SOFA (am I allowed to talk about that in this thread?)
    No, apparently it upsets some people that you folks take shots at me about the 'sofa' so son't do it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    I love this forum cause I love golf, I love knowledge and I really love personalities. I only wish I lived closer to enjoy those personalities up close and personal signed Frank the yank

I feel the love Frank

Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    I have noticed lately that a lot of lurkers have decided to join because they thought that the forum sounded like a great friendly place to make friends and such. Possibly they like the bantering, and also possible to lose some that don't like it I guess. But of couse I could be wrong, I may not have noticed in the past

In my humble opinion, you are right Brit..... most people do like human and friendly interaction over being flamed because they are perceived to have said something 'stupid'

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    No, apparently it upsets some people that you folks take shots at me about the 'sofa' so son't do it anymore
    You just continually

If you're not careful you are gonna lose that couch and it will be the RECLINER for you!!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    When I first came across this site I did not sign on right away. I read threads and thought "These guys are nuts, but they are having fun at the same time" I had been on another golf forum before this one and there was some serious flaming going on there (Based in USA) At least here there was some joking back and forth which made it more pleasant to read.

Do some BST threads get out of hand? Yes they do. However do items continue to be sold/traded/bought? Yes they do.

Does Indio's sleeping on the couch bother me? Hell no! I picture this guy I have no idea what he looks like, sleeping on the couch because his wife kicks his behind out of bed

Geoff's constant HO BANTER does not offend me. I have been emailing jokes back and forth with Geoff and consider him a friend now, even though I have never met him face to face.

"RICHARD", now here is a prime example. At first I thought "This guys is a loser" We had a Royal Battle when he called ST ANDREWS, THE OLD COURSE a COW PASTURE last summer.
    Now we email each other! Go figure

I have offered to go out to the local golf shop to look for items someone is in need of. I figure if I can help someone out by finding them an item then why not? No big deal for me to do this. I would expect the same from everyone on this site and I bet it would happen.

Boys and Girls, like BIG MAC said, "Life is too short to worry about what goes on here" Trust me, I have been through hell this past summer. You want the truth? I missed being able to come here while I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I missed the banter and the interesting reading about clubs, courses etc.

So we all need to carry on, lighten up and have some fun. Let's all be one big happy family (OK Maybe "RICHARD: is out, he has some weird Punjabi food tastes JK Buddy!)

And yes, GEOFF IS A CLUB HO and always will be!

You guys/girls don't know how badly I would like to be able to attend the Forum Golf Day. It would be a blast meeting everyone that goes. So those that are going, have fun, have a beer and make sure "RICHARD" does not molest the Cart Girl!

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO I JUST NOTICED THIS IS MY 1500TH POST Am I catching "DICK" ?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    You just continually

If you're not careful you are gonna lose that couch and it will be the RECLINER for you!!!
    Is that considered stirring the pot? Oh crap, me bad. And of course your comment about the recliner could not be considered at all now could it?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    "Life is too short to worry about what goes on here"
    Rick, I think this is definitely the key but most people can't relate to it. Many many years ago when I was a young pup, I was in a car accident and I was pronounced dead at the scene. I actully vividly remember the paramedic say 'dont bother with him, he's a goner' and pulled a sheet over my head. There was nothing I could do except scream in my own head! Now obviously things worked out for the best (well, at least in my mind ) but since that day I promissed myself I would never look back and I would live one day at a time to its fullest and never sweat the little stuff ever. I have pretty well stuck to that promise I made myself except for the odd occasion

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I was in a car accident and I was pronounced dead at the scene. I actully vividly remember the paramedic say 'dont bother with him, he's a goner' and pulled a sheet over my head.

Good God!! I can't even begin to imagine the utter horror you must have gone through

Lock it up Dan--I think the point has been well made!

7 Wood bugsy is on a distinguished road bugsy's Avatar
    Is that considered stirring the pot? Oh crap, me bad. And of course your comment about the recliner could not be considered at all now could it?
    Honey, your buying a recliner tomorrow, thanks Hacker
    Bugsy Rules, Indio drools

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Geoff you are doing just fine. Don't change a thing. You can't please everyone. By the way does anybody know where El Tigre is?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Geoff you are doing just fine. Don't change a thing. You can't please everyone. By the way does anybody know where El Tigre is?
    Tigger is fine. I saw him last week and he, 6-wood, LuckyLuc and I are getting together tomorrow for a round at Casselview.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Thread Information