CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

What makes us all.......

So, I have been looking back at a few threads from the past couple of weeks that have to say the least, 'gone south' It is interesting to look at the thread from the first post through to where it gets locked up or it borders on getting locked up.

So what is it that makes us put so much passion into an internet discussion thread with people we have mostly never met and do not know what they are really like from day to day?

Is it our competitive nature? Is it a sense of being more knowledgable than the other guy/gal? Is it just playing with the other person's emotions? Could it be you have made a decision that you just don't like the other poster and will do anything t piss him/her off? Do we get enjoyment out of slamming somone we really don't know? Not a pole or anything like that, just love to hear some points of view from those that like to debate and those like me that don't care to debate cause 'it just ain't important enough in life'

Any thoughts?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    End of season is approaching and people are getting cranky.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Some people are just more confrontational, they can't let a post go by without a comment, others will just ignore and move on.
    Also I have to agree with jvincent about the end coming and being cranky. I know I've been a bit cranky this week.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    So, I have been looking back at a few threads from the past couple of weeks that have to say the least, 'gone south' It is interesting to look at the thread from the first post through to where it gets locked up or it borders on getting locked up.

So what is it that makes us put so much passion into an internet discussion thread with people we have mostly never met and do not know what they are really like from day to day?

Is it our competitive nature? Is it a sense of being more knowledgable than the other guy/gal? Is it just playing with the other person's emotions? Could it be you have made a decision that you just don't like the other poster and will do anything t piss him/her off? Do we get enjoyment out of slamming somone we really don't know? Not a pole or anything like that, just love to hear some points of view from those that like to debate and those like me that don't care to debate cause 'it just ain't important enough in life'

Any thoughts?
    C'MON QUIT

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    End of season is approaching and people are getting cranky.
    End of season? I thought mid December was the end of the golf season. Man I am totally confused here

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    End of season? I thought mid December was the end of the golf season. Man I am totally confused here
    All that hot air coming from the center of the universe that is the GTA extends your season. We're pretty much done by the end of Oct up here.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I think a lot of times people want to post an opinion and have everyone agree with it. Once the disagreement starts it begins to snowball. And then people start quoting others and responding to individual posters about their specific comments, particularly when they start to talk about respective golfing abilities. From there lately things often seem to go downhill very quickly. Been involved in a couple myself .
    I think if we all just posted our opinions on the controversial subjects, and even the non-controversial, without quoting and slagging the opinions of others things would improve considerably.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    In my opinion, people have a hard time taking criticism. This is a discussion board that is basically to entertain discussions about various subjects. If everyone agreed with what everyone else had to say, the number of threads or posts would be very minimal.

As everyone knows, to expect this is very unrealistic. It's also unrealistic to expect a thread to go without a little bit of negativity. There's no need for threats or personal attacks, but it seems people get all bent out of shape because someone posts an opinion that might contradict another persons view.

I for one, will tell you what I think. I don't care if people don't like what I have to say, and others shouldn't care, or take to heart what I have to say. Everyone will have an opinion on different things or people. If someone posts something and I disagree with their view, I will post my view and why I disagree with theirs.

In my case, I'm not looking to change what they think, or make people jump on my bandwagon. I post my thoughts to give them a different perspective on the topic or discussion and others will do the same. In some instances, people will take offense to me not agreeing with them, then it turns into personal attacks.

Why is it so hard to say.."Yes, I see your point but I don't see it that way."

I think if everyone calmed down a bit and were open to different opinions then this place would be in better shape in the topic of "threads going downhill as of late".

"Richard"
    maybe someone people are just trying to get their post count up

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Not enough knowledge of or ignoring logical fallacies, when involved in an online debate.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
    Back at it.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Oh and people just getting their post count up ... only 2800 more to get ahead of "Richard". Then I get to lose twice to Dan in match play.
    Back at it.

[quote=fireiceI know I've been a bit cranky this week.[/quote]

a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    C'MON QUIT

Not me! I would never , I am that yuou would think this GB

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    IF we want to talk about threads getting totally derailed for whatever reason from start to finish.... This is the PERFECT place to mention the couch. Frankly I've heard enough it seems if the post is about instruction, world golf, arrange a game, you name it somehow it gets overpowered with jokes of you sleeping on the couch.

Can we just make a INDIO IS ON THE COUCH thread and leave the others alone?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    In my opinion, people have a hard time taking criticism. This is a discussion board that is basically to entertain discussions about various subjects. If everyone agreed with what everyone else had to say, the number of threads or posts would be very minimal.

As everyone knows, to expect this is very unrealistic. It's also unrealistic to expect a thread to go without a little bit of negativity. There's no need for threats or personal attacks, but it seems people get all bent out of shape because someone posts an opinion that might contradict another persons view.

I for one, will tell you what I think. I don't care if people don't like what I have to say, and others shouldn't care, or take to heart what I have to say. Everyone will have an opinion on different things or people. If someone posts something and I disagree with their view, I will post my view and why I disagree with theirs.

In my case, I'm not looking to change what they think, or make people jump on my bandwagon. I post my thoughts to give them a different perspective on the topic or discussion and others will do the same. In some instances, people will take offense to me not agreeing with them, then it turns into personal attacks.

Why is it so hard to say.."Yes, I see your point but I don't see it that way."

I think if everyone calmed down a bit and were open to different opinions then this place would be in better shape in the topic of "threads going downhill as of late".

I hear ya and basically thats what I am asking, why do people make the silly 'attacks' with such passion and why to those being 'attacked ' just not ignore the 'attack' and move on. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't think anyone has a problem with people expressing opinions, thats what forums are for

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    It usually stems from people confusing opinion and fact.

Someone's opinion is their opinion. It can be argued or supported in a sensible manner, but an opinion can not be wrong, as it is just an opinion, a point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    It usually stems from people confusing opinion and fact.

Someone's opinion is their opinion. It can be argued or supported in a sensible manner, but an opinion can not be wrong, as it is just an opinion, a point of view.

Maybe we should all post disclaimers saying:

'The opinions expressed in this post are that of the opinionated poster and do not necessarily represent or reflect actual facts so take them with a grain of salt and maybe a valium'

Seriously people should just use common sense. If you look back at a thread you had a problem with and its you responding to everyone disagreeing its you being the troll. Most have been a troll at one point or another whether intentionally or unintentinally but just keep an eye for it. Like some of them are ridiculous w/ the same guy using up 15/30 posts to fight anyone on anything.

Further more Indio you didn't touch my couch comment

Quote Originally Posted by dH
    Further more Indio you didn't touch my couch comment
    I didn't touch it because it is your opinion, which you are entitled to and which I respect

I could say volumes, but I won't. I just don't read what I don't want to or I read it and don't respond, thats what discussion threads are all about

PS. You know there is a block threads from certain users option don't you DH, it works very well

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I didn't touch it because it is your opinion, which you are entitled to and which I respect

I could say volumes, but I won't. I just don't read what I don't want to or I read it and don't respond, thats what discussion threads are all about

PS. You know there is a block threads from certain users option don't you DH, it works very well
    Very well said. That's setting a good example for all of us.

LOL Great answer!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I think there are two basic things at play here...

First, we (humans) are passionate beings, it is one of the things that set us apart from other "beasts". I believe that our passion is what drives us to be understood, what forces us to continue to clarify our point and argue our case.

Secondly, it is very hard to express one's self in writing. Without the benefit of facial expression or body language it is often very hard to convey what you really think or feel. It takes a truely gifted writer to accurately express him/herself. I think this plays a huge role in many a discussion group 'debate'.

As far as the banter is concerned, for me personally it is about having fun. I'm like that in person and I'm like that IRL. I understand that there is a time and place, but I'll always throw out a good natured jab when the opportunity presents itself, especially in a 'forum' like this that is ultimately intended as a form of entertainment.

Great topic Indio - now get back on the couch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dH
    LOL Great answer!
    dH, maybe we should sell the secret! You didn't flame me, I didn't flame you and we respectfully will just move on with our internet lives without losing any sleep or without losing a potential great golfing buddy!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I think most posts are going down hill because the same users hijack them all the time, some are moderators, with inside jokes and a stream of off topic comments. Rarely will you see a thread on here that is about golf anymore. Even after Dan put the Live Chat room up, where I thought people would have their conversation, you still see almost every thread flooded with this crap. Even in the buy and sell section where it use to be more heavily moderated.

The other problem on the Internet is tone of voice and descriptive writing. You have to write clearly to get your point across but sometimes you lose the tone that you would have in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    I think there are two basic things at play here...

First, we (humans) are passionate beings, it is one of the things that set us apart from other "beasts". I believe that our passion is what drives us to be understood, what forces us to continue to clarify our point and argue our case.

Secondly, it is very hard to express one's self in writing. Without the benefit of facial expression or body language it is often very hard to convey what you really think or feel. It takes a truely gifted writer to accurately express him/herself. I think this plays a huge role in many a discussion group 'debate'.

As far as the banter is concerned, for me personally it is about having fun. I'm like that in person and I'm like that IRL. I understand that there is a time and place, but I'll always throw out a good natured jab when the opportunity presents itself, especially in a 'forum' like this that is ultimately intended as a form of entertainment.

Great topic Indio - now get back on the couch!!!

I will admit, it is very hard to get your point across in writing and I have to do it as a living most of the time The problem I see is that many people, myself at the head of the line, try and say what they want to get across in the least amount of words possible.... sometimes that can cause misinterpretation of the message.

I am also a firm believer in adding humor to almost all situations. We tend to take ourselves to seriously andwhen I am in my leisure time, that is exactly what I want, to relax, not to argue a silly point to death just so I 'win' and they lose. Hell, if its so important for someone to win, then I will let them and we both come away happy!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    I think most posts are going down hill because the same users hijack them all the time, some are moderators, with inside jokes and a stream of off topic comments. Rarely will you see a thread on here that is about golf anymore. Even after Dan put the Live Chat room up, where I thought people would have their conversation, you still see almost every thread flooded with this crap. Even in the buy and sell section where it use to be more heavily moderated.
    There has been a lot of that lately, posting merely for the sake of it and adding nothing to the topic just to see that post-count increase.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber

The other problem on the Internet is tone of voice and descriptive writing. You have to write clearly to get your point across but sometimes you lose the tone that you would have in person.
    I guess the perception that 'most posts' are going down hill depends on what you are looking for and what your preference is. If you aren't the type that likes friendly interaction with other members and just want to do your business and get out, then yes, it would be a PITA for you. I personally like the banter and interaction and thats the biggest reason I frequent this forum. However, having said that, I definitely agree with you that the for sale section should be free of this type of friendly banter but alas, humans will be humans. Maybe those members that want this to be always serious should ask the owner to put in a forum rule that selling sections are for exactly that and there should be no friendly bantering back an forth in them. I know before the bump rule got eliminated, many would do that just to get their post back to the top of the list. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the forum management saying no more joking in for sale or arrange a game sections, even though I am just as guilty as the next person..

Could go the way the another golf forum did with their B/S/T, which is not well liked by a lot of those members.
    Only the seller can post under his/her BST thread.

PM's or email are the only way to contact the seller now. If the seller's PM box is full you are out of luck.

Now that is all fine and dandy. But what if someone posts a rare club, for instance someone posted about a Bazooka J Max in the LH section. I commented that I had hit the RH version of this club and it was a Canon. Nothing wrong with that, if it helps sell the club.

Banter back and forth is ok and it is needed in this day and age of high stress jobs. (not that I know what a high stress job is like I barely work as it is )

I tend to agree with Indio that at times it is hard to express yourself with written words. People tend to shorten posts up and that leaves the door wide open for misinterputaion of their posts.

I have seen a lot worse though on other forums. At least here the banter is usually good natured. Most of the time

As for this Post Count #'s. How about this........ The # of posts you make is not shown on any posts you make. Simple enough, now there is no reason to post just to run your numbers up. Personally I don't even pay attention to the # of posts someone has. I did not realize there was a race to get to 10,000 posts Is there a prize at the end of the road for that

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I guess the perception that 'most posts' are going down hill depends on what you are looking for and what your preference is. If you aren't the type that likes friendly interaction with other members and just want to do your business and get out, then yes, it would be a PITA for you. I personally like the banter and interaction and thats the biggest reason I frequent this forum. However, having said that, I definitely agree with you that the for sale section should be free of this type of friendly banter but alas, humans will be humans. Maybe those members that want this to be always serious should ask the owner to put in a forum rule that selling sections are for exactly that and there should be no friendly bantering back an forth in them. I know before the bump rule got eliminated, many would do that just to get their post back to the top of the list. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the forum management saying no more joking in for sale or arrange a game sections, even though I am just as guilty as the next person..
    Banter is one thing but I'm talking about the overwhelming threads lately that start off as golf topics, be it instruction help, club help or golf news and end up in a long 6 page thread about how much someone club ho's, sits on the couch and other inside jokes. Some of these posts are just one word or a smiley. The golf talk section should be left for golf talk, having fun and joking is fine, but at one time when it got carried away the big hand would fall and remind people pf the thread topic, now some of the moderators are the worst culprits.

The way I see it, and of course just my opinion, but the site has Golf Jokes, Naughty Golf Jokes, Odds and ends, Almost anything, humour and a live chat room where you can go and banter all day and tell jokes about whatever you want. Why does the entire site have to be dominated by it? Lately someone can't sell something or ask a question about a club or ask for instruction without the same select members taking over the thread and putting it back to their "banter".

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I enjoy reading the occasional banter. If I find it is too much I move on.

Instant messaging is even worse for getting your point across without offending because you don't have time to read what you have said before posting it. That is where emoticons have become invaluable. Even in the for sale section, how long does it really take you to just look at what is for sale and PM the person if you don't want to weed through any other comments.

Maybe a friendly reminder of please don't over-do the banter is all that is needed.

Thread Information