100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Looks Can Be Deceiving

I just remembered this happening as I discussed buying exspensive clubs in a PM with another member.

This is a good reminder that looks can be totally decieving when it comes to golfers and their ability to play the game.

About 8 years ago I go up to the local 9 hole course where I was a member. There happened to be two gentlemen on the first tee so the clubhouse manager asked if I wanted to join them. Sure thing, over I went and introduced myself.

Now the one guy was maybe my age at the time. Early 40's. He had jean shorts on, clean T shirt, golf shoes and a bandana holding his long hair together The other guy was older, dressed well.

Neither had played this 9 hole course so I was the guide. I looked in the hippies golf bag and saw nothing special in there. Can't recall the make of irons, but they did not jump out at me so they were nothing special.

We tee it up, the old guy goes first, slaps one down the fairway about 220 yards. Hippie pegs it up and powders one about 290 with a draw dead centre I hit, good drive about 270 and away we go.

Now both of these guys were a pleasure to play golf with. I could tell the old guy had game when he was younger but lack of distance hurt him. However the "HIPPIE" man that dude could flat out golf his ball He had every shot in the bag, draws, fades, dead straight, could putt like Tiger Woods. We walked off the 9th and that guy was -3 On a course he had never played before. The greens on that course were tricky and he putted them like he owned them! He did not miss a fairway, he did not miss a green.

I had a great 9 holes, and man I felt like I had been run over by a MACK TRUCK

Come to find out this guy owned a driving range just outside London. No wonder he was such a good ball striker He passed away a few years after I played 9 with him. Found out he had cancer, sad story.

Funny how looks can be deceiving when it comes to golfers. I have seen guys with $3500 worth of clubs just hack it around a golf course.
    I have seen hippies with a bag of nothing special go 3 under for 9

LESSON? The old saying holds true "Do not judge a book by it's cover"

I might add, the above statement means I am old
    Edited to add this
    Last edited by Golfbum; 09-13-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I before E except after C .

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Never judge a book by its cover! Actually, I do, but the opposite. If I walk up to the first tee and the person has old blades and stuff but has a half decent looking swing, I immediately assume they can play. Conversely, if I see the latest and greatest shiny new stuff then I tend to think they are probably a hack like me.

Regardless, the scorecard will tell the story at the end of the round.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information