100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hockey Signings

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    but didn't the nucks make a 2 year offer for 1.7M? i think Clarke offerd 1.9/year.
    I believe you are correct sir. I stand corrected.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    so if the difference is only 200k then isn't it safe to say that the nucks will match it? I thought there was some kind of unwritten rule where you don't sign RFA's to offer sheets. I remember the players union was trying to proove colusion and used the fact that there hadn't been one of these since car tried it with s. federov and accused the owners of getting together and scerwing the players offer, trying to keep the player salaries lower by taking this away from them. Anyway, I guess if anyone was going to go against his fellow GMs it would be that idiot clarke. I really don't like him

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    The offer is actually 1 million more for the season, not 200k. The Canucks will match it cause otherwise they get ripped off by only getting a 2nd round pick for a guy that was drafted in round 1 (where is the logic?!?!). I still think it's dirty business cause Clarke knew the Canucks would match it. Clarke was just mad that Vancouver would not trade him in the off-season.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    I still think it's dirty business cause Clarke knew the Canucks would match it. Clarke was just mad that Vancouver would not trade him in the off-season.
    I agree it is dirty business, but this is allowed by the CBA and Clarke is pretty much thumbing his nose at the other GM's who are complaining. The larger ramification is that this can be used as a barometer for future arbitration. 10 goals is now worth 2M.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    It is not dirty business... It is smart business. Look at Clarke's team. They are weak up the middle. Primeau is retiring. Kessler has a lot of potential to be a very good centre in the league. So, he went out and offered 1.9 million. Why so much? because if he offered 1 million, or 1.2, he knew Vancouver would match it. He figured...this is double what they are offering him, they might not pay him. He would have overpaid this year, but he would have gotten a great young prospect. You can't blame the guy for trying to improve his team. The Canucks have been trying all summer to sign this guy, debating the difference between 845k and 945k per year (or thereabouts. They should have had this guy signed ages ago. Good for Bobby Clarke for doing what he was entitled to do in an attempt to improve his team.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Look at Clarke's team. They are weak up the middle. . You can't blame the guy for trying to improve his team.
    You're right in that they are weak up the middle, but do you really think Clarke is trying to improve his team? I'm not so sure - he knew full well that the Canucks wouldn't let Kesler go, so the result was he simply strong-armed them into spending 1.9M. Don't think for second that other GM's won't remember this ploy by Clarke either. Payback's a b*tch.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I for one have never been a Clarke fan. Listened to his interviews on TSN and the Score yesterday. I personally think he's just an idiot and is still not quite sure what to do as a GM. I think the owner is still living in the 70s and thinks Clarke is the be-all end-all. Just listen to him in an interview, he's arrogant, rude and always on the offensive or defensive. Seems like a very bitter person, about what? I'm not sure. I remember who much of an embarassment he was to the organization during their falling out with Lindros. As opposed to be being professional and letting the whole Lindros issue die down and have him move on, Clarke got into the mudslinging. If I was an owner of a team I know I wouldn't want someone like him representing my team. He just can't sit down and chat. Michael Landsberg from "Off the Record" seemed a little more comfortable talking to him yesterday, but the poor guy from the Score looked like the interview couldn't end soon enough for him.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I remember who much of an embarassment he was to the organization during their falling out with Lindros. As opposed to be being professional and letting the whole Lindros issue die down and have him move on, Clarke got into the mudslinging.
    That was ugly, but even uglier was the way Roger Neilson left that organization. What did Clarke say? Something like "Roger went all goofy on us" ...uh gee Bobby, sorry to inconvenience you with this whole cancer thing. My bad.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    His playing days were before my time or I was too young to remember. But since he's been a GM, nothing but a class act (insert very thick sarcastic tone here).
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I for one have never been a Clarke fan. Listened to his interviews on TSN and the Score yesterday. I personally think he's just an idiot .......and is arrogant, rude and always on the offensive or defensive.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings about him too. He's always had a big mouth even back when he was a player.....only difference now is that he uses the media to shield him from those he is attacking instead of Dave "the hammer" Schultz

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Don't think for second that other GM's won't remember this ploy by Clarke either. Payback's a b*tch.
    The problem with that is that if they respond, they also contribute to driving up salary. That said, Pitkanen and Niittymaki are RFAs next year, Carter and Richards the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    The problem with that is that if they respond, they also contribute to driving up salary. That said, Pitkanen and Niittymaki are RFAs next year, Carter and Richards the year after.
    Great point Spackler!! If you're gonna live by the sword you better be prepared to die by the sword

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Bobby Clark was a classless jerk as a player and just as bad as a general manager. He has wasted millions of dollars of the owners money over paying players and has nothing to show for it but the distain of the other general managers. If he worked for an owner who had any idea what hockey was about, he would have been out on his butt years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by larry
    Bobby Clark was a classless jerk as a player and just as bad as a general manager. He has wasted millions of dollars of the owners money over paying players and has nothing to show for it but the distain of the other general managers. If he worked for an owner who had any idea what hockey was about, he would have been out on his butt years ago.
    Well said Larry!!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Well, I am going to have to stand up for Bobby Clarke. I love his style, and love the fact that, unlike almost anyone else who works a job in the front office in the NHL, he always has something to say, and doesn't care if people don't like it. Since when has the NHL been about being friendly and nice to other teams? I am also going to have to say that I think he's a great GM. He didn't waste money. He spent money that he had to spend, just as all the other GMs did in the pre-lockout NHL. It's not like he was the only guy that went out signing big contracts in order to lure players. Who cares if the other GM's don't like his tactics? He has been able to consistently put together contending teams, much more than most of the GM's can say for themselves. The fact is, as much as you may disklike the guy, its really hard to argue with his tactics. The guy went out and made a move at a young guy who is going to be a very good player. As much as Nonis says there was no way they were giving him up, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't an easy decision to keep him for that money. Clarke may have been able to get himself Kessler for next to nothing. I seem to be the only guy who thinks it was a legitimate hockey move, but why else would he do it? He has no vendetta against Nonis. He has no interest in forcing the Canucks into spending another million. It's not as if they're division rivals. He's only going to play them twice over the next 2 years. He would only have made this move if the thought he could improve his team. For that, I admire the guy. He went out and made a move, knowing full well that everyone was going to start *ing at him. Fact is, he made a good hockey move, and everyone else is just mad that they didn't think of it first.

Thread Information