CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Punched greens

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar

Punched greens

Heads up would be nice on which courses are punching greens, when, and the condition of them.

Played Falcon Ridge, greens were punched, looked like 1/4" holes, and greens were not cut recently, making for balls hopping to and for, plus stopping after 10 feet even when you sledge hammered them. Course was in good enough shape other than that, for a "B" track anyway.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    This is also one of my pet peeves. There's no reason a course cannot mention this when you call to make a tee time.

Private courses have dates set and posted so their members know. It should be the same for public courses.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    This is also one of my pet peeves. There's no reason a course cannot mention this when you call to make a tee time.

Private courses have dates set and posted so their members know. It should be the same for public courses.
    Or how about this? When YOU call for your tee time YOU could ask if those greens are being top dressed. What a novel idea
    How do you propose that a public course notify any potential green fee players that the greens are being done? Take out an ad in the local newspaper?
    There has been major discussions about this in the past and trust me it is a situation that does not go away. Personally I for one would simply ask the Pro Shop if I was calling to make a tee time at this time of year. You pretty much have to expect that greens will be getting dressed at this time of year.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Or how about this? When YOU call for your tee time YOU could ask if those greens are being top dressed. What a novel idea
    How do you propose that a public course notify any potential green fee players that the greens are being done? Take out an ad in the local newspaper?
    There has been major discussions about this in the past and trust me it is a situation that does not go away. Personally I for one would simply ask the Pro Shop if I was calling to make a tee time at this time of year. You pretty much have to expect that greens will be getting dressed at this time of year.

HAHAHA!! So it's the patrons obligation to ask and the course should just keep this pertinent information to themselves? So you're saying that it is too much trouble to notify people who call and book times?

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen you type.

Why do you think phone companies or other services either send a letter or call you to let you know about service outages? Should the customers be held responsible to call the utility company to find out when their service outages will happen?

Example is Rogers or Sympatico leaving automated recordings or sending you an email letting you know there will be maintenance on their servers between a certain time period.

There's no reason courses can't do the same when you call to book a time.

And before you say we should know when these things are going to happen, that point is mute because not all courses do their punching and/or top dressing at the same time.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I tend to agree with Golfbum. Personally punched greens don't bother me... I expect them this time of year, and I congratulate the courses on doing the proper maintenance needed to keep my favorite courses in good shape. If I'm worried about it, I ask when I call for a tee time.
    Last edited by 1972Apex; 09-11-2006 at 08:57 PM.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

I don't know anyone that would argue with a course offering up this information as private courses do, and semi-private members do to their members, would be something that would not be appreciated and good customer service.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    Just played Greensmere and the back nine greens were all punched. Did not get any warning when I made the t-time, and I only called an hour beforehand.

It does bother me when playing, the greens were quick already, and having them bumpy ontop of that made it tough to putt.

I don't know anyone that would argue with a course offering up this information as private courses do, and semi-private members do to their members, would be something that would not be appreciated and good customer service.
    Okay, so which course wants to go first in telling people who call to book: "BTW, we just top dressed our greens, so you might want to spend your money somewhere else." ???
    I mean it's a nice idea, and in a perfect world every place we went to spend our money would inform us of everything that might keep us away that day, but it seldom works that way.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex
    Okay, so which course wants to go first in telling people who call to book: "BTW, we just top dressed our greens, so you might want to spend your money somewhere else." ???
    I mean it's a nice idea, and in a perfect world every place we went to spend our money would inform us of everything that might keep us away that day, but it seldom works that way.
    Nobody said anything about turning the patrons away. They offer rates for different times of the year ie. Spring. This falls under the same category. I don't think golfers would say they won't play if they were offered a bit of a discount on fees.

It's not like there aren't courses out there that mention it to you when you call.

Another perfect example of this are hostesses informing customers at restaurants of a certain dish they may have ran out of.

This is nothing new. It's done for many things. I don't see why it is so outrageous or out of this world to expect golf courses to do the same.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I agree, the course should offer a discount when the conditions are sub par...punched greens, temporary greens, spring conditions, excessive maintenance, etc.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Another perfect example of this are hostesses informing customers at restaurants of a certain dish they may have ran out of.
    But, do they tell you when you call to make your reservation, or when you are already there, have ordered your bottle of wine, and then tried to order it?

:stirring-the-pot:

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    But, do they tell you when you call to make your reservation, or when you are already there, have ordered your bottle of wine, and then tried to order it?

:stirring-the-pot:
    It would be impossible to tell you they ran out of something the day before even earlier. Running out of something is beyond their control and also a surprise or unplanned event.

As for telling you once they bring your bottle of wine, that's never been the case the times I've encountered this situation. I've always been told by the hostess before I was seated.

Hey guys, it's Fall, the season of punched greens and, soon leaves and mud. Get used to it . We're pretty much into discount season already as it is. I hear Mountain Creek is offering $17 Green Fees .

Hey guys, it's Fall, the season of punched greens and, soon leaves and mud. Get used to it . We're pretty much into discount season already as it is. I hear Mountain Creek is offering $17 Green Fees .
    The season is besides the point. Not every course punches their greens the exact same week or two. It's not possible for anyone except the people at the course to know when this will happen unless it's in the members book as it was at Rivermead or mentioned when people call.

I mean it's not like the morning of, they decide they are going to do it. Why not mention it to people even BEFORE it happens. Most people frequent the same courses all the time, or the same few, so why not mention to them if they are a regular that greens will be punched next week, just a heads up.

If I weren't going to play anywhere else, I fail to see how knowing the greens are going to be punched that weekend would help me... perhaps, I'd bring a different putter, something heavier to blast the ball through the bumps? .
    Like I said, doesn't bother me... my putting sucks anyway so the only thing that could happen is the bumps might deflect my ball back towards the hole .

If I weren't going to play anywhere else, I fail to see how knowing the greens are going to be punched that weekend would help me... perhaps, I'd bring a different putter, something heavier to blast the ball through the bumps? .
    Like I said, doesn't bother me... my putting sucks anyway so the only thing that could happen is the bumps might deflect my ball back towards the hole .
    Offering a discount for these conditions would be fine by me. I've played punched greens a lot and it definitely changes your putting, score, even approach shots are affected.

I realize this may not be an issue for people who aren't very good at golfing, but for people who notice these things, it's a bigger deal in my opinion.

How is offering a discount for punched greens any different from Spring condition discounts. They both happen every year.

I realize this may not be an issue for people who aren't very good at golfing, but for people who notice these things, it's a bigger deal in my opinion.
    I can see that you and I will be getting out for a round of golf while you're down here...

I can see that you and I will be getting out for a round of golf while you're down here...
    Yup. I play with anyone. I'm not a golf snob, but when paying big bucks for green fees, some compensation would be nice when they are not in the condition the fees reflect.

Yup. I play with anyone. I'm not a golf snob, but when paying big bucks for green fees, some compensation would be nice when they are not in the condition the fees reflect.
    Nice... Looking forward to meeting you

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Gadooks, I post to start a thread so we can list what is being punched as useful information for fall golf and you guys go on a rant. So they did not warn me, so Cedarhill does, quality of service is what keeps them coming back. I only went to play FC to try it, and they could be nice and reduce prices for a week or two, or even inform people, but they do not at many courses, that is how you decide which ones to favor and which ones to not favor.

Let us try to keep this informative, not inflammatory please.

Geoff mentioned MC was punched and he will likely let us know how that is fairing out. We can all benefit by sharing this information so people can choose not to go to a course until it fills back in a bit. Paying full price when the course is not prime is not really fair, but some places do not care to do anything about it, other do, nuff said.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Keeping with the main intended theme of the thread, Glen Mar has some greens punched and a few others have been cut strangely. The best description I can give is that they are wavey!
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    I agree, the course should offer a discount when the conditions are sub par...punched greens, temporary greens, spring conditions, excessive maintenance, etc.
    .... and the Senators should give you back money on your ticket when they play poorly.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    HAHAHA!! So it's the patrons obligation to ask and the course should just keep this pertinent information to themselves? So you're saying that it is too much trouble to notify people who call and book times?

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen you type.

Why do you think phone companies or other services either send a letter or call you to let you know about service outages? Should the customers be held responsible to call the utility company to find out when their service outages will happen?

Example is Rogers or Sympatico leaving automated recordings or sending you an email letting you know there will be maintenance on their servers between a certain time period.

There's no reason courses can't do the same when you call to book a time.

Sorry, I am going to lay it on the line here.

You are a YOUNG MAN, who has taken up golfing and expects everything to be PERFECT for YOU when you play a golf course.

Come to grips with the fact that courses are not PERFECT all the time.

Come to grips with the fact that courses are not going to call EDMONTONGOLFER and say "OUR GREENS WERE TOP DRESSED TODAY SIR, YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU WHEN THE GREENS ARE PERFECT"

Comparing a golf course to Rogers or Sympatico is just plain stupid. Do you honestly expect every course to call all it's past green fee players to tell them that the super is doing work on the greens?

After years of golf (almost as many as you have been alive) I come to expect work being done on golf courses. I for one am smart enough to know that greens get dressed at this time of year. If I plan on playing another course that involves laying BIG BUCKS OUT then I am smart enough to ask of those greens are being top dressed. It really is such a simple thing to do.

If all you are looking for is a DISCOUNT on your green fees then admit that. But do not run down courses for their lack of calling you or advising you when you call for a tee time. It is all part of running and owning a golf course. WORK NEEDS TO BE DONE.
    GET OVER IT!

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    I agree with EdmontonGolfer on this one.

However I'd agree that there's no obligation for the course to forewarn you. But to me, its good business practice. If I show up to play, and I wasn't told the greens were punched I'd be pissed.

If the course does forewarn me, sure they may lose my business for that day, but I'll always remember that they were courteous enough to mention it, and make me more likely to go back.

Anyhoo - anyone know how the greens are at Mountain Creek? Geoff?

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by upanddown
    I agree with EdmontonGolfer on this one.

However I'd agree that there's no obligation for the course to forewarn you.
    What part of EG's position do you agree with??? He wants to be warned in advance of sub-par conditions, you don't think the course has any obligation to warn you .

If it such a concern to you, ask the question. It's your money I suggest you protect it as you best see fit. If you don't think it's worth the 2 seconds it takes to ask, then don't complain about it. If you do inquire and then get to the course and discover otherwise, fine you have something to complain about.

Give me a break people... buyer beware... ask when you make the tee time.

GarthM

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    What part of EG's position do you agree with??? He wants to be warned in advance of sub-par conditions, you don't think the course has any obligation to warn you .

If it such a concern to you, ask the question. It's your money I suggest you protect it as you best see fit. If you don't think it's worth the 2 seconds it takes to ask, then don't complain about it. If you do inquire and then get to the course and discover otherwise, fine you have something to complain about.

Give me a break people... buyer beware... ask when you make the tee time.

GarthM
    Buyer beware is not good customer service. That's like selling someone a golf club that you are charging full price for, but you don't mention that it's got scratches on the crown or any other negative things about it.

The fact of the matter is that as posted above by the thread creator, some courses do it, so why can't ALL courses do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Sorry, I am going to lay it on the line here.

You are a YOUNG MAN, who has taken up golfing and expects everything to be PERFECT for YOU when you play a golf course.

Come to grips with the fact that courses are not PERFECT all the time.

Come to grips with the fact that courses are not going to call EDMONTONGOLFER and say "OUR GREENS WERE TOP DRESSED TODAY SIR, YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU WHEN THE GREENS ARE PERFECT"

Comparing a golf course to Rogers or Sympatico is just plain stupid. Do you honestly expect every course to call all it's past green fee players to tell them that the super is doing work on the greens?

After years of golf (almost as many as you have been alive) I come to expect work being done on golf courses. I for one am smart enough to know that greens get dressed at this time of year. If I plan on playing another course that involves laying BIG BUCKS OUT then I am smart enough to ask of those greens are being top dressed. It really is such a simple thing to do.

If all you are looking for is a DISCOUNT on your green fees then admit that. But do not run down courses for their lack of calling you or advising you when you call for a tee time. It is all part of running and owning a golf course. WORK NEEDS TO BE DONE.
    GET OVER IT!

LOL! For someone who's not a teenager, you sure like to pick apart posts.

When I used Sympatico and Rogers as an example, it was an example of customer service. Where in my post did I say I expect the courses to call all it's previous golfers to inform them?

You say work needs to be done, which I am not debating. If there were 9 out of 18 temporary greens for some reason, would you be okay with them not telling you about it?

Nice... Looking forward to meeting you
    Oh well. I won't golf with you then if you're not interested in meeting you.

This is a message board on the Internet. If you judge a person by how they post on the Internet, and wouldn't play a round of golf because of that, that's too bad for you.

I guess I shouldn't play a round with Deeb then in fear he might grab my ass?

Maybe only the people who agree with everything someone else has to say should be paired up at the Forum Fun golf day too???

Thread Information