CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar

10 Rules for Pick-Up Hockey Players

www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Bad pick up experience 3Jack???
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I'm the schmuck referenced in #4.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I hear ya. That's why I don't organize things that often anymore. Too often got stucked footing someone's portion of the bill.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    was up at 5am yesterday to register for intramurals....well worth it...can't wait for the season to begin...might have to email that to the members of my team.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    #9 is my favourite.

Like a lot of people here I played competitive hockey as a kid/teenager at pretty high level and knew by the time I hit midget that the NHL was not for me.

Of all the hundreds of guys I played with exactly ONE of them made it to the NHL. I am a year older than Randy McKay and we played on the high school team together.

Me at 17: 5'10", 175lbs, above average speed for a defenceman.
    Randy at 16: 5'11", 165 lbs soaking wet. About the same speed as me but a winger.

Me at 23: 5'10", 185-190 playing rec hockey at university with #9 guys.
    Randy at 23: 6'2" , 210 lbs, playing for the Red Wings.

It pays to be a late bloomer I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I hear ya. That's why I don't organize things that often anymore. Too often got stucked footing someone's portion of the bill.
    No kidding - between organizing winter hockey, summer hockey, a yearly trip to tremblant for friends from high school (why?), and next spring's trip to scotland, i'm burnt out!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar

great link

Thanks 3jack
    I've sent link to a few fellow PU hockey organizers.
    and yeah collecting $$ is always the part I hate

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    No goalie ever asks to have his head warmed up.

LOL

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    No goalie ever asks to have his head warmed up.

LOL
    I agree. 2(a) is priceless.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    I'm a goalie and maybe even worse than the fool blasting it at your head is, and this is just so incredible I'm shaking my head, is a guy who tries to deke you out during the warm-up. I played with a guy who, when the team would line up and take their turn shooting, this guy would, from the blueline, skate in on me and try to deke me. I just sorta always watched him skate by me and then move on to the next shooter. He'd get mad at me for not trying to stop him.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Haha...I love when they do that. I used to just stand up, put my gloves on my knees, or when I was feeling really creative, I'd lean on my stick a la Dryden. I'd always have a nice sarcastic "man, that was friggin awesome" when they scored on the open net. They usually got the point after a while. If they didn't, a nonchalant poke check when they figured they were in the clear for their highlight real goal usually shames them enough that they stop. I think even worse than the deke, however, is the guy who is tired of waiting for his turn to shoot, so he shoots when you're looking the opposite direction. Sure, most of the time he hits the net and not you, but these idiots don't seem to realize that a goalie has NO padding on their back. I caught one in the ribcage once and I tell you one thing, that guy NEVER took another shot at me unless I told him to.

Last year we had a goalie problem - ours never showed up. So I ended up playing a few games in nets using player gear (it was a "no slapshot" leage so there wasn't TOO much danger. I couldn't believe how stupid people were being in warmup though. They were actually taking slapshots - in a league where slapshots are not allowed, and when your goalie doesn't have goalie gear. I managed to convince most of the players that this was not a good idea, and they just threw wrist shots at me so I could try to figure out how to go about stopping a shot to the glove side (eventually deciding that the most effective way was to just grab it as if I was wearing a trapper...thankfully I catch left and write right, so my midterm the next moring was not too much of a problem). Unbelievably though, there were a couple dumbasses who would wind up from the blueline ever time.

It is definitely annoying when they blast it at your head, but its not like its intentional, as I know most the ppl I play with couldn't hit that target in 1/100 shots.

Thread Information