CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aaaarghhh!

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Angry Aaaarghhh!

The thing that sets me off the most on the course is during chipping or pitching. I stand over the ball, I judge the carry and roll, I visualize the chip. Then I take one or two sets of 3 practice swings to get the feel of the swing and clipping just under the ball. Then I address the ball and GRRR... fat and sometimes thin. Happens in a tight lie, or a fluffy lie... anywhere. Any suggestions, other than practice?

spidey

Marc Peterson
    Hi, spidey in chipping, pitching nine time out of ten when you make contact with the ground before the ball it's because most of your weight is on the back foot at impact. My suggestion on this is on short shot start with 60% of your weight on your front foot and keep it there throughout the entire swing. Keeping your weight on your front foot will keep your lower body quiet on the backswing and also allow you to hit the ball on a descending blow to get the ball airborn. Try this and let me know.

Marc

Cool sfsg

Yep, Marc... so far so good...

I'm getting much better contact now that I'm not laying back on my right side. I also have much less lower body movement, and more confidence in hitting the chips and pitches.

Now, my next step is getting back to making consistent solid contact and getting the distance under control.

A secondary problem that I notice, is that I often abbreviate my pre-stroke routine for short pitches and chips. In fact, the easier and more straightforward the shot, the more I tend to just step up and bang it (increasing my inconsistency). I find, now, that if I take the time to visualize, and be patient through my pre-shot routine, that I maintain my concentration longer and am able to make more consistent, predictable contact.

tx,

spidey

Marc Peterson
    Hey Spidey, I am glad the chipping tip help. Technic is very important in all aspect of the game. But when you are on the golf course playing, the worst thing you can do is become to technical.

I was fortunate enough to play golf with Moe Norman a few years back and he told to separate practice and play. He said"get better on the driving range and bring your knowledge to the golf course".

Visualize on the course and trust your instinct, get the ball in the hole.

It is not "how" but "how many".

Have fun
    Marc

hadi hajjar

chipping.

dear spidey.

one other thing i think marc will agree with me on. is to keep ur head steady during the chipping stroke what i mean by this is to listen to the ball striking the club before you lift your head up. by doing so you eliminate the mi****s and the fat shot and he mentioned the 60-40 by doing these 2 things you ll begin to find the chipping game a breeze and more up and downs than you can immagine.

happy golfing.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Pitches, Chips(Not Potato)

The problem that most of the golfers that I see who have difficulty with the short shots, including Spidey, perhaps, is that they tend to jab at the ball with too short a backswing.
    My chip shot stroke is a gentle acceleration of the club through the ball after a stop at the "top" of the backswing.
    My pitch, (flop) shot from around the greens is a long, smooth, almost slow motion swing, which results in a ball that falls very softly.
    A jab will increase those fat/thin abherrations and make it very difficult to judge distance.
    A gentle acceleration with a slightly downward path to a ball played farther back in your stance should help.
    Just like last night on 17 and 18.

2 Iron JimmyW is on a distinguished road JimmyW's Avatar

2 ?

2 questions nat

1. Just to clarify, do you "stop" your backswing at the top, or just make a slower version of your normal swing?

2. Do you stiffen (reduce the flex) of your wrists, choke down, or change anything else that might come into play?

The reason I'm asking is because I've tried what you're saying & I tend to (and maybe it's just me) lose the judge of distance when I take too big of a backswing, and slowing down a swing isn't something I'm accustomed to. Although this week I will try it.

PS- Any tips on natural golfing?

....lost me nat...

17 and 18 where?

Yes, part of my problem has been a quick stroke, but I haven't had a short stabby pitching/chipping swing for a very long time. I've found that when I swing slowly and deliberately that I have good results.

Another problem that I have is that I keep hitting my pitches and chips on the toe. Very consistent at it too. If only I could hit my drives as consistently on the same spot. When I set up to the pitches, I watch my swing path, and try very hard to see where the ball needs to be for solid contact. Invariably, my poor pitches are off the toe, sometimes right on the very edge of the club... Shifting my weight to my back foot has helped me somewhat, but it's still something I have to concentrate on very hard.

spidey

Thread Information