CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge lngdrvcantputt is on a distinguished road

speaking of holes in one..

Hey guys hope everyone had a good long weekend, seeing that hole in thread reminded me, were at Le sorcier on Friday, we get to the 12th hole i believe, par 3 110 yards, about 150 feet up above as all the par 3's are, so I bring my SW and my LW, not knowing exactly what club to go with. So i decide on the SW, hit a 3/4 SW, dead on with pin ends up about 10-12 feet behind cup, so let everyone else hit, about to walk to cart and decide lets try the LW just for fun ask my buddy to toss me a ball, throw then ball on the ground and hit a full LW, this one goes just a tad right of the flag, lands before the green where i couldnt see, i guess hit the downslope all i seen was the ball roll onto the green directly into the cup, i turn around and just shake my head laughing, my buddy looks at me and he's like whatz up, i tell him it went in, he's like no sh**, sure enough we go down the balls in the cup the guys are laughing their asses off, still sank my birdie.

So here's my question, if someone ask me if i ever got a hole in one what do i tell them, i've been inches away about a dozen times, obviously didnt count it on the scorecard, but can i officially say i got a HOLE IN ONE. thank god i didnt have to buy the whole clubhouse a beer, there were a few french drunks there, would of been ugly.

thanks guys

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    but can i officially say i got a HOLE IN ONE. thank god i didnt have to buy the whole clubhouse a beer
    If you did, you should have.
    You answered your own question. BTW, nice shot!

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lngdrvcantputt
    scorecard, but can i officially say i got a HOLE IN ONE.

Unfortunately not. And you can't officially say you got a birdie either

That is almost like playing the same numbers in the lottery week after week and then forgetting to play them one week and they hit. I have come close a few times in practice rounds or when I am playing by myself and have always been thankful they did not drop since I figure that would be a once in a lifetime opportunity and want a witness.

Excellent shot and congratulations all the same.

"Richard"
    you actually Had a par. As soon as you hit your second tee shot you were shooting 3.
    Stroke and distance. Unless you declared it was a provisional

He had no cause to declare a provisional, as his ball was known not to be lost or OB.

hows my birdie not count i played my original ball, and i sank my putt for two, i think u guys just misunderstood the way i wrote it, or please explain to me how it doesnt count, i just hit that second shot for fun, i was already on the green with my first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Unfortunately not. And you can't officially say you got a birdie either

That is almost like playing the same numbers in the lottery week after week and then forgetting to play them one week and they hit. I have come close a few times in practice rounds or when I am playing by myself and have always been thankful they did not drop since I figure that would be a once in a lifetime opportunity and want a witness.

Excellent shot and congratulations all the same.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    whatever rule freaks... you got a hole in one.. you didnt score it but you hit a shot from a tee box that went in the hole.. nice shot.. way to go.. wish i could say i've done it
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

"Richard"
    dan, you need a reason to hit a provisional??

I was fooling around, i get it, u guys play with every single rule in the book, u guys have never hit a second ball just for fun, im not saying i'd do that in a tourney, but if your just out with the boys why not, so your saying my 76 i shot is a 77, damn, u ***s,lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    He had no cause to declare a provisional, as his ball was known not to be lost or OB.

27-2. Provisional Ball

a. Procedure
    If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds
    , to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-1.
    Ergo, if the ball is visible in bounds you cannot declare your second shot "provisional"

Re: the "rules freaks" comment; OK, but when you play for money or braging rights I'd avoid bending the rules.

This is a more appropriate ruling for the situation. One off the, tee two stroke penalty for the practice shot (the actual practice stroke is not counted) and his putt for bogey.(Ducking and running for cover)
    7-2. During Round
    A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 7-2:
    Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Ergo, if the ball is visible in bounds you cannot declare your second shot "provisional"

Re: the "rules freaks" comment; OK, but when you play for money or braging rights I'd avoid bending the rules.
    guys i still dont understand what your saying, my original ball was 12 feet pass the cup on the green, i understand the whole provisional thing, i just wanted to know from your own personal opinions, if this happened to one of you guys, and one of your buddy's or some guy asked u "hey frank u ever get a hole in one", would you even bother saying "ohh yeah i got one but, it wasnt on my real shot", would you even bother mentioning it, that is my question, i know it doesnt count on my card, nor did we right it as a hole in one on the card, does that make more sense now, i understand the rule as outlined, just really not my question, im glad i officially know the rule now, its true u really do learn something new everyday.

No, I wouldn't claim a HIO, but I would tell the story punctuated by groans and embellished for drama.

As I said, nice shot

thanks Dan, and well said.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    The reply above your last one answers your question. Playing a second ball is considered a practice stroke, if you were playing by the rules. But like Dan said, tell the story the proper way.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thanks. I only even commented on the rules in answer to Richard's question, not to kill your thunder.

"Richard"
    PS I was just kidding, I would count it. I wouldn't even tell anyone about the first shot

I'll be watching you closely tomorrow.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    PS I was just kidding, I would count it. I wouldn't even tell anyone about the first shot
    Actually, the story would probably end up being that you had 3 hole in ones and a amazing 450yd drive

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Actually, the story would probably end up being that you had 3 hole in ones and a amazing 450yd drive
    And still lost 4&3.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information