100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    Look here: http://www.golfbetterproductions.com/the-swing.asp From the top of the backswing, PIC 2, John pushes the shaft of the club, in his words, "downward toward the plane." PIC 3. (My words are BACK, as in back towards the camera, and then DOWN and OUT to the ball) You can see that the hands have NOT moved outward as almost every golfer does.
    I'm a bit confused by this. If I'm at the top of my swing, my left arm is fully extended. How then, is it possible to push my hands back towards the camera unless I dislocate a joint? If I drop my elbow to my hip, then my hands move a bit down and back in the direction of my heels. Is this the movement I'm looking for?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hhk
    I'm a bit confused by this. If I'm at the top of my swing, my left arm is fully extended. How then, is it possible to push my hands back towards the camera unless I dislocate a joint? If I drop my elbow to my hip, then my hands move a bit down and back in the direction of my heels. Is this the movement I'm looking for?
    When your left arm is extended and horizontal,(9 oclock position) it is not possible to move the hands back. However, in most backswings the hands start moving up and closer to your head, when looking at the golfer from in front. Long swings will get to 12 o'clock, slightly shorter swings to say 10:00 or 11:00. Regardless, as the left arm is past horizontal, it IS possible to move the hands back, ie, directly away from the shoulders or directly away from your target.

So if you move them back then they will move down toward the heels or at least this is what you may feel. Loking at Dunnigan's pics, it appears that he does just that. Some golfers feel, and I am one of them, that my hands are actually moving BEHIND me first, even though video shows thay are moving back first. It is an eerie feeling, as though I am going to come into the ball from way inside, however, the straight flight of the ball proves otherwise.

Thread Information