CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Iron distances

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    When I post the yardaged for my irons it is based on the assumption the 150 marker is accurate. I hit my 6 iron consistently 145-155, and based my yardages posted for all irons at the distance I can hit the middle of the green from the fairway. So if I am 20 yards past the 150 marker, and I hit a 4 iron to the middle of the green (ball mark) it is about 170-175 approx. That is how I measure, since I do not use an iron from the tee often, and it is +/- in accuracy from a par 3 more than from the fairway inside 200 yards, IMHO. I say that because on a par 3 the tees and pins can change, but a plate in the fairway only changes for the distance to the pin.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Well you must suck then! I mean to have such short distances as me.
    Just Kidding.

I don't feel bad. I will get even with those long par3s eventually. Lat time around, I laid up on a 190 par 3 . Yes, you heard me right. I laid up with a 5i. I was about 20 yards short but smack dab in the middle of the fairway. I then chipped and putted for a par. All and all less risky and not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Yo Rez din't feel bad! I am 5' 11'' and 195. We hit the same distances on most of our irons except the PW (100),5 (160),4 (165),3 (170).
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    Most of the time, you can see approx. where you ball lands and how much roll you get. I'm pretty sure if you walk to your ball it's not going to be something like 50 yards of carry so you can see where it lands and then measure the carry, or as a general rule, subtract 10 or 15 yards if you want.

A good course will also have distance from the tee to the sprinkler head and so on. I know the ones I play have yardage books that tell you that. Same goes for the course I play that has GPS in the cart. Are you saying these are also inaccurate?
    From 300 yards? I do not think so. unless you're on a really elevated tee. You can't see to within 10 yards where it's landing much less to within 1 yard. and if you are the numbers a fudged because your hitting from an elevated tee. it's like counting all your downwind drives and leaving off your upwind ones.

yardage books don't tell you from tee to every sprinkler head on the course and I've seen the pga tour ones. Example the one at Coghill where they play the Western Open. Just saw it last week actually. You get tee distance measurements to points bunkers. That's why caddies go out and scout courses for the pros.

Tour pros get about 20-30 yards of roll on those fariways. Given your numbers you're longer than the avg. tour pro. Since your 'avg carry' is 280. You're looking at a 290-295 avg driving distance. It's possible but unlikely.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    You are confusing carry and roll. Carry is the distance from the tee to the first point that the ball lands and roll is the subsequent distance the ball goes to its final resting point.

This doesn't clear up the argument of how to accurately measure the drive but I feel it is important to sort out this confusion.
    HAHA!! I typed the wrong thing. I'm pretty sure I know the difference between carry and roll after playing 20 years of golf, but thanks for the definition.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    When I post the yardaged for my irons it is based on the assumption the 150 marker is accurate. I hit my 6 iron consistently 145-155, and based my yardages posted for all irons at the distance I can hit the middle of the green from the fairway. So if I am 20 yards past the 150 marker, and I hit a 4 iron to the middle of the green (ball mark) it is about 170-175 approx. That is how I measure, since I do not use an iron from the tee often, and it is +/- in accuracy from a par 3 more than from the fairway inside 200 yards, IMHO. I say that because on a par 3 the tees and pins can change, but a plate in the fairway only changes for the distance to the pin.
    Yes but a bend in the fariway changes that. I could show you an example google earth works great.

Take a hole like the east meadows number 4 the long par 5. The stake in the middle says 150 to the middle. however. It's measured along the center of the fairway. so it goes along and makes a right turn where the red stake is.

If you actually measure the distance from the white stake to the green as a brid flies it's less than 150 I think it's actually about 135. that's what you have to know. any bend in the fairway no matter how small is added to the total yardage. except the sprinkler head. that is measured to the green in a straight line.

Timber Ridge number one hole is a beautiful example. I'm standing at the 200 yards stake and there's a sprinkler head almost next to it and it says something like 181. That's about 19 yards difference.

280 carry avg? 300 carry avg? come on man. I've seen 300 carry and the ball almost disappears into the sky much less see exactly where it lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    From 300 yards? I do not think so. unless you're on a really elevated tee. You can't see to within 10 yards where it's landing much less to within 1 yard. and if you are the numbers a fudged because your hitting from an elevated tee. it's like counting all your downwind drives and leaving off your upwind ones.

yardage books don't tell you from tee to every sprinkler head on the course and I've seen the pga tour ones. Example the one at Coghill where they play the Western Open. Just saw it last week actually. You get tee distance measurements to points bunkers. That's why caddies go out and scout courses for the pros.

Tour pros get about 20-30 yards of roll on those fariways. Given your numbers you're longer than the avg. tour pro. Since your 'avg carry' is 280. You're looking at a 290-295 avg driving distance. It's possible but unlikely.
    I'm staring at a yardage book that I use from Northern Bear here in Edmonton and it tells me the distance from the tee to the sprinkler head. Don't tell me they don't when I have one right here in front of me that does.

As for seeing where a ball lands, I dunno what you smoke before playing, or if your prescription for your glasses is balls, but I can see 300 yards away. I can see the tree beside the fairway that my ball lands near in reference to the fairway. How else would you see where your ball went? Are you saying you lose sight of the ball when it gets to a certain distance? You must take forever to play a round while you search the area your ball headed in.

Doesn't matter to me what you think of my numbers. I know they are accurate and how I play. I've used GPS carts and a sky caddie to mark distances when playing and if I play a par 5 and there is a tree 150 yards out, if my ball lands near the tree and rolls forward, I know within a few yards how long the carry was.

280 carry avg? 300 carry avg? come on man. I've seen 300 carry and the ball almost disappears into the sky much less see exactly where it lands.
    I don't see anyone on here claim to carry the ball 300 yards. I've seen people say they hit their driver 300 yards or more, but that obviously includes roll.

Come to Ottawa next month and I'll show you what 280 yards carry looks like and pinpoint where the ball landed within 5 yards.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I played with a guy the other week that was about 6' 2" and wirey strong. He pulled a 5 from around 220 to an elevated green and left it pin high on the left.

I think the importand thing is being able to get some bite on the ball, who cares what club you use, the lofts and shaft lengths are all different between sets these days anyhow.

Also I think a lot of people lose some iron distance comparitively by having the ball up forward in their stance. Still if it's anywhere near the divot from 185 chances are you are putting a decent stroke on it regardless of what club you use.

Andru
    I don't see anyone on here claim to carry the ball 300 yards. I've seen people say they hit their driver 300 yards or more, but that obviously includes roll.

Come to Ottawa next month and I'll show you what 280 yards carry looks like and pinpoint where the ball landed within 5 yards.
    Yeah right. Whatever dude I just saw the best in the world live and in person. You have no idea what 280 carry looks like. You can talk up a big storm on this forum and perhaps get a few gullible people to subscribe but I know a bunch are going to the Prez Cup next year and once they see what 280 looks like in the air. They'll be be able to spot a dreamer to within 5 yards.

Yeah right. Whatever dude I just saw the best in the world live and in person. You have no idea what 280 carry looks like. You can talk up a big storm on this forum and perhaps get a few gullible people to subscribe but I know a bunch are going to the Prez Cup next year and once they see what 280 looks like in the air. They'll be be able to spot a dreamer to within 5 yards.

BAHAHAHA!! I've been to the Canadian Open at Royal Montreal and to 3 PGA Tour events. Now you're telling me I don't know what 280 carry looks like? Get your head out of your ass man. Who do you think you are anyway? Trying to tell me how yardage books are made and now telling me I don't know something that infact have witnessed more than once.

Perhaps you should go tuck your tail between your legs and stop before you risk making a bigger fool of yourself. You have no idea who you're talking to or what people have seen in their lifetime. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that we didn't eat eggs for breakfast because we don't know what real eggs look like.

Oh, and the offer still stands for you to come witness 280 yards carry in Ottawa next month. Maybe I'll get John out too and we can both show you on the same hole. I guess two will be better than one anyway....Then we can help you look for your ball since you lose sight of it... HAHAHAHAH!!!

Andru
    I'm staring at a yardage book that I use from Northern Bear here in Edmonton and it tells me the distance from the tee to the sprinkler head. Don't tell me they don't when I have one right here in front of me that does.

As for seeing where a ball lands, I dunno what you smoke before playing, or if your prescription for your glasses is balls, but I can see 300 yards away. I can see the tree beside the fairway that my ball lands near in reference to the fairway. How else would you see where your ball went? Are you saying you lose sight of the ball when it gets to a certain distance? You must take forever to play a round while you search the area your ball headed in.
    "Sarcasm is lowest form of humour" - Unknown Author.

Here's the best example I can give you.

Maybe this will put things into perspective. How many times have any of your hit a shot into a flag. it's maybe 160 yards and right at the pin. From the fairway when the ball and the flag are in a direct line, the ball looks like it's 2 feet. Then you get up there and it's really about 12 feet. Viewing Angles, perception, optical illusions. These are all real concepts. Perhaps you spent too much time smoking when you should have been in school.

That's why judging distance from 300 yards to within 5 yards is ridiculous. the only true angle to see the landing area is either perpendicular to the flight path or from above ( IE an elevated tee )

"Sarcasm is lowest form of humour" - Unknown Author.

Here's the best example I can give you.

Maybe this will put things into perspective. How many times have any of your hit a shot into a flag. it's maybe 160 yards and right at the pin. From the fairway when the ball and the flag are in a direct line, the ball looks like it's 2 feet. Then you get up there and it's really about 12 feet. Viewing Angles, perception, optical illusions. These are all real concepts. Perhaps you spent too much time smoking when you should have been in school.

That's why judging distance from 300 yards to within 5 yards is ridiculous. the only true angle to see the landing area is either perpendicular to the flight path or from above ( IE an elevated tee )
    Okay, so you are 10 feet off from 160 yards, which is 3 yards. Double 160 yards to 320 yards and you are 20 feet off, so that's around 7 yards off. Understand my point now? You've basically proved it right there with your example.

Andru
    BAHAHAHA!! I've been to the Canadian Open at Royal Montreal and to 3 PGA Tour events. Now you're telling me I don't know what 280 carry looks like? Get your head out of your ass man. Who do you think you are anyway? Trying to tell me how yardage books are made and now telling me I don't know something that infact have witnessed more than once.

Perhaps you should go tuck your tail between your legs and stop before you risk making a bigger fool of yourself. You have no idea who you're talking to or what people have seen in their lifetime. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that we didn't eat eggs for breakfast because we don't know what real eggs look like.
    This is a perfect example of how a person acts when the ship is sinking. A Hail Mary................

Andru
    Okay, so you are 10 feet off from 160 yards, which is 3 yards. Double 160 yards to 320 yards and you are 20 feet off, so that's around 7 yards off. Understand my point now? You've basically proved it right there with your example.
    The error rate is exponential!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really do I need to say this.

AND, a pin is about an inch and a half wide, whereas a bunker you land beside will be say 10 to 20 feet in length. If you see your ball land beside a bunker on the fairway and roll by it, knowing how far the bunker is away from the tee(yardage book), you can tell how far you carried the ball before roll within 10 to 20 feet, which would be 3 to 6 yards.

I don't see why this is so unbelievable for you...

This is a perfect example of how a person acts when the ship is sinking. A Hail Mary................
    Dude....You're far more behind than you think. There are about 15 people(who I know of) laughing at you. First you tell me how a yardage book is because you've seen one, when I have one right in front of me contradicting your "factual" evidence.

Second, you tell me I don't know what a 280 yard drive(carry) looks like when I've been to the Canadian Open and several PGA events. Both instances you thought you were the know all, when essentially, you didn't really know who or what I know.

Now you're trying to say that because I have given you two examples to contradict your backup evidence for your comments, I resort to telling you how ridiculous you are because my ship is sinking? HAHAHAH!! You're definitely dreaming in technicolour.

Like I said, come golfing with a couple of us and we'll show you that we know what 280 yards looks like in the air and we can, infact, see where our ball lands on the fairway in reference to other landmarks like bunkers.

It seems to me you are infact the one who is trying to backup your statements because you watched the best in the world and looked at a yardage book.

Andru
    AND, a pin is about an inch and a half wide, whereas a bunker you land beside will be say 10 to 20 feet in length. If you see your ball land beside a bunker on the fairway and roll by it, knowing how far the bunker is away from the tee(yardage book), you can tell how far you carried the ball before roll within 10 to 20 feet, which would be 3 to 6 yards.

I don't see why this is so unbelievable for you...
    It you're elevated. Look if you believe you carry it 280 then you do. I don't care. I'm not calling you a liar. I'm just asking, are you sure? I play a ton of golf and I know you've been playing a long time. but that doesn't mean you or I can't be mistaken. Here's what I do know. The day I bought my range finders was the day I learned about distance. I carry them with me.

I play a ton of golf with strangers. I walk on and tee it up. I've met one person of what must be 80 ppl to date who have under estimated their distance. And he was a Can Tour pro.

The rest were off by anywhere from 30-60 yards. People think I hit it 290. I don't know how far i carry my driver all i know is it's longer than 245 because I carry a hazard at my club on a regular basis. And it's between 235 and 245. but how much I really don't know or care all I know is I'm over it.

It you're elevated. Look if you believe you carry it 280 then you do. I don't care. I'm not calling you a liar. I'm just asking, are you sure? I play a ton of golf and I know you've been playing a long time. but that doesn't mean you or I can't be mistaken. Here's what I do know. The day I bought my range finders was the day I learned about distance. I carry them with me.

I play a ton of golf with strangers. I walk on and tee it up. I've met one person of what must be 80 ppl to date who have under estimated their distance. And he was a Can Tour pro.

The rest were off by anywhere from 30-60 yards. People think I hit it 290. I don't know how far i carry my driver all i know is it's longer than 245 because I carry a hazard at my club on a regular basis. And it's between 235 and 245. but how much I really don't know or care all I know is I'm over it.
    That's why I want you to come to Ottawa so we can play and I can show you. I used to play with Peter Matilla who was on Tour and always played for free at our private golf course(Rivermead).

Instead of going on about how you know and I don't. wouldn't it have been easier to post what you just did? I mean then we wouldn't have to go through all of this where you claim to have the upper hand because you've seen more than I so I must be wrong about it, and you must be right.

Anyway, this thread has brought out my irritated side and that's not really the way I am all the time. All I'm saying is that I'm quite qualified to judge the distance of my, and others drives.

The invitation is still there for a round.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Well, I just had a pretty hefty reply, but my browser crashed and I lost it. Here's the Coles Notes version.

a - relax, there is no need to get so uppity over this.

b - I see no reason to disbelieve people

c - these are all estimations - nobody is claiming to hit it 293.6 yards every time. They are claiming 280-300 (etc)

d - People can hit the ball a long way. Lots of people. A tour pro hits it a long way and can putt, chip, shoot long irons....and so on. Just because someone claims they can hit it a long way does not mean we should disbelieve them simply because the pros can't all do it. Distance doesn't make a pro, so pros don't focus on it.

e - For every time a person thinks they got 290 carry and actually got 285, there will be a time where they think they got 285 and actually got 290 (assuming a genuine attempt to come up with accurate distances, which I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt on). So, this evens out.

f - do we really need to crucify people for attempting to give an accurate estimation of their distances? Why don't we attack those who claim 220-240 yard drives? These are surely just as inaccurate. I guess its okay though, because they don't hit it farther than you?

AND, last but not least....Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour when done POORLY. When done well, it is the pinaccle of comedy.

Andru
    Dude....You're far more behind than you think. There are about 15 people(who I know of) laughing at you. First you tell me how a yardage book is because you've seen one, when I have one right in front of me contradicting your "factual" evidence.

Second, you tell me I don't know what a 280 yard drive(carry) looks like when I've been to the Canadian Open and several PGA events. Both instances you thought you were the know all, when essentially, you didn't really know who or what I know.

Now you're trying to say that because I have given you two examples to contradict your backup evidence for your comments, I resort to telling you how ridiculous you are because my ship is sinking? HAHAHAH!! You're definitely dreaming in technicolour.

Like I said, come golfing with a couple of us and we'll show you that we know what 280 yards looks like in the air and we can, infact, see where our ball lands on the fairway in reference to other landmarks like bunkers.

It seems to me you are infact the one who is trying to backup your statements because you watched the best in the world and looked at a yardage book.
    Hmmm let me absorb this, There's 15 people I don't know laughing at me? What are you 10? are you sticking out your tongue and wiggling you fingers too?

Hmmm let me absorb this, There's 15 people I don't know laughing at me? What are you 10? are you sticking out your tongue and wiggling you fingers too?
    Yes I am, but then again, I wouldn't know because I probably don't know what wiggling my fingers and sticking out my tongue looks like. I probably don't do it correctly or fully understand it is you are speaking of.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Well, I just had a pretty hefty reply, but my browser crashed and I lost it. Here's the Coles Notes version.

a - relax, there is no need to get so uppity over this.

b - I see no reason to disbelieve people

c - these are all estimations - nobody is claiming to hit it 293.6 yards every time. They are claiming 280-300 (etc)

d - People can hit the ball a long way. Lots of people. A tour pro hits it a long way and can putt, chip, shoot long irons....and so on. Just because someone claims they can hit it a long way does not mean we should disbelieve them simply because the pros can't all do it. Distance doesn't make a pro, so pros don't focus on it.

e - For every time a person thinks they got 290 carry and actually got 285, there will be a time where they think they got 285 and actually got 290 (assuming a genuine attempt to come up with accurate distances, which I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt on). So, this evens out.

f - do we really need to crucify people for attempting to give an accurate estimation of their distances? Why don't we attack those who claim 220-240 yard drives? These are surely just as inaccurate. I guess its okay though, because they don't hit it farther than you?

AND, last but not least....Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour when done POORLY. When done well, it is the pinaccle of comedy.
    Sorry Jonf it's my scientific nature but as anything, It means absolutely nothing in the end.

Andru
    Yes I am, but then again, I wouldn't know because I probably don't know what wiggling my fingers and sticking out my tongue looks like. I probably don't do it correctly or fully understand it is you are speaking of.
    Now that I believe!!! Thanks for being a sport.

I'll be in Ottawa in 2 weeks. In a month. I'll be in Washington telling Bush how to stop terrorism.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Now that I believe!!! Thanks for being a sport.

I'll be in Ottawa in 2 weeks. In a month. I'll be in Washington telling Bush how to stop terrorism.
    Say hello to George and tell he needs to work on his game! Practice practice practice!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    Well, I do swing my driver and irons differently. On my irons I take a slow and controlled swing concentrating on the arc. Same for the wedges, but I get ridiculous height out of my Cleveland 588, which produces a nice flight but kills the distance.
    I usually let it rip on the drives. To be perfectly honest, lately I have not been taking full swings with my driver and still get 300+ carries the vast majority of the time. Just last week I hit 370 @ Stonebridge (forum members can vouch).
    Although this thread will probably get closed soon (for other reasons), I will continue to pursue your gap problem.

I am longer than average driver (I won't say how long). One of the things that I found I was doing when I tried to "slow it down" for the irons was that I started to shift/slide/sway my hip back on the backswing which got me out of position. This would result in a scoop rather than downward strike, and for me this resulted in very short and high ball flight with the irons.

To combat this I made the conscious (sp?) effort to not move my hips (on the backswing), and and if I felt that I had shifted my hips I would stop the swing. This has given me my power back into my irons and especially my wedges.
    Back at it.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    We'll give it one shot to get back on topic. If the personal attacks continue the thread will have to be closed. But let's see if we can't get back to talking about iron distances regardless of how long or short people hit them.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Biting tongue..........

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    That pretty much sounds like what I am doing with my wedges. All too often it seems like I get under them too much and scoop.
    Thanks I will try your tip out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3
    Although this thread will probably get closed soon (for other reasons), I will continue to pursue your gap problem.

I am longer than average driver (I won't say how long). One of the things that I found I was doing when I tried to "slow it down" for the irons was that I started to shift/slide/sway my hip back on the backswing which got me out of position. This would result in a scoop rather than downward strike, and for me this resulted in very short and high ball flight with the irons.

To combat this I made the conscious (sp?) effort to not move my hips (on the backswing), and and if I felt that I had shifted my hips I would stop the swing. This has given me my power back into my irons and especially my wedges.

3 Iron twoputt is on a distinguished road

These are my distances, I also have this information printed and laminated on the back of one of my business cards, keep it on my bag, helps with confidence knowing what club to hit.

3H

18.5°/215

4H

23°/195

24°/180

27°/170

30°/160

34°/150

38°/140

42°/130

PW

46°/115