These are mine..

PW: 140
    9: 150
    8: 165
    7: 170
    6: 185-190
    5: 210
    4: 215

I could probably hit the 4 iron another 5 yards or so, but by time I got to that club I was tired. LOL!
    Something wrong with these numbers. Huge gap between your 5 and 6. Too little of a gap between your 4 and 5 ahd between your 7 and 8. Ever had the lofts checked? Heck you could remove some of those clubs and add a few wedges.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 08-23-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    LW-don't know yet...
    SW-90
    GW-100-110
    PW-110-120
    9i-120+
    8i-130
    7i-Haven't used it in 3 rounds. Really don't know. Maybe 140ish???
    6i-155
    5i-160-170
    4i-evil hook problem. about 120, then off that tree & 70 backwards.
    3i hybrid-190-200
    3wd-heh...about 230 avg. hit one 285 plus on monday...
    driver-250+ with a cheap a** walmart driver. hard to be accurate.

i seem to be starting the ball about 10-20* offline to the right. Sometimes draws back, sometimes holds & just stays right. really annoying.

i hit my first par5 in two today, though. Then butchered it & took an 8.

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    I've been battling an issue that has severly impacted my game in the last few years...see if you can spot it.

Driver: 300+ carry avg.
    3 Wood: 260-275
    3i: 250
    4i: 230
    5i: 210-220
    6i: 195-210
    7i: 175-190
    8i: 160-175
    9i: 150-160
    PW: 135-150
    51*: 85
    56*: 75
    60*: 60

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    I've been battling an issue that has severly impacted my game in the last few years...see if you can spot it.
    Holy cow that's a big gap!

What's the loft on your PW? Same shafts in all clubs? Have you had your swing speed checked on all the clubs?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Something wrong with these numbers. Huge gap between your 5 and 6. Too little of a gap between your 4 and 5 ahd between your 7 and 8. Ever had the lofts checked? Heck you could remove some of those clubs and add a few wedges.
    Never had the lofts checked because they are brand new and don't really have time.

I play driver, 15 degree 904F, 17 degree and 20 degree hybrid, 5 to PW, 50, 54, 58 degree wedges.

As for the gap between 4 and 5...like I said, I could hit it 220 but I was too tired by time I hit 10 balls with all the other clubs in 30+ degree weather. I think 10 yards between a 4 and 5 iron is pretty normal.

Distance for the 7 iron should be 175. I must have typo'd there because I just looked at my notepad and then what I typed. Thanks for pointing it out.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I am honest and not trying to fool myself or anyone else when it comes to the distance I hit my irons.
    Driver 260-280
    3 W 240 (Crushed)
    5 W 215-225
    3 I 190-200
    4 I 180-190
    5 I 170-180
    6 I 160-170
    7 I 140-150
    8 I 130-140
    9 I 120-130
    PW 110-120
    52 100-110
    56 50-100
    All depending on wind conditions. I play a very windy course. There are days I can hit a PW from 140, there are days I can hit a 5 iron from 140.
    I am fairly well spaced in yardage between clubs. I have lost a little distance this summer due to that surgery I had back in May. Slowly I am regaining lost strength.
    I make no claims to hit it 300+ all day. I have witnessed guys who say they can do that and they were no where near 300 all day off the tee!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    I am honest and not trying to fool myself or anyone else when it comes to the distance I hit my irons.
    Driver 260-280
    3 W 240 (Crushed)
    5 W 215-225
    3 I 190-200
    4 I 180-190
    5 I 170-180
    6 I 160-170
    7 I 140-150
    8 I 130-140
    9 I 120-130
    PW 110-120
    52 100-110
    56 50-100
    All depending on wind conditions. I play a very windy course. There are days I can hit a PW from 140, there are days I can hit a 5 iron from 140.
    I am fairly well spaced in yardage between clubs. I have lost a little distance this summer due to that surgery I had back in May. Slowly I am regaining lost strength.
    I make no claims to hit it 300+ all day. I have witnessed guys who say they can do that and they were no where near 300 all day off the tee!
    I'm pretty sure all the people who posted their distances in this thread are stand up guys and not out to prove anything to anyone. If I'm not mistaken, you might be insinuating that some of the distances posted in here are to impress others. I for one, know daft_driver personally and his distances may look ridiculous, but I assure you, he's a big lad and can probably tear the cover off a golf ball.

Sucks that there would be doubters though....I really don't see the need to add the comments..." I am honest...not trying to fool myself or anyone else..."

Lob Wedge Dez is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    No. The shaft is not a factor in how far you hit the ball.
    I'm surprised to hear that. I'm not disagreeing, I'm pretty new at golf, but I've read so much about how the shaft will do this for you and do that for you, including adding distance, affecting trajectory, etc.

Very interesting.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    I'm pretty sure all the people who posted their distances in this thread are stand up guys and not out to prove anything to anyone. If I'm not mistaken, you might be insinuating that some of the distances posted in here are to impress others. I for one, know daft_driver personally and his distances may look ridiculous, but I assure you, he's a big lad and can probably tear the cover off a golf ball.

Sucks that there would be doubters though....I really don't see the need to add the comments..." I am honest...not trying to fool myself or anyone else..."
    Now did I say you or anyone else was not honest? Give me a break. I said I was honest about my yardages, and why? Because I have measured every club in my bag and not on the range either. On a course, exact yardages. That is what the statement of being honest meant. In your case I guess I should have indicated that fact.

Do I sometimes "DOUBT" others claim to yardages? Yes I do. Those who claim they average 330 all day leave me shaking my head. If someone averages 330 all day they are way above PGA Standards. Now how can that be? The best golfers in the world do not average 330, yet an Amateur does?

Oh BTW, I am a BIG LAD TOO. I have seen BIG LADS who could not hit a driver past the 220 yard mark. I have seen little skinny guys bust it 280 all day. What does size have to do with yardages?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Now did I say you or anyone else was not honest? Give me a break. I said I was honest about my yardages, and why? Because I have measured every club in my bag and not on the range either. On a course, exact yardages. That is what the statement of being honest meant. In your case I guess I should have indicated that fact.

Do I sometimes "DOUBT" others claim to yardages? Yes I do. Those who claim they average 330 all day leave me shaking my head. If someone averages 330 all day they are way above PGA Standards. Now how can that be? The best golfers in the world do not average 330, yet an Amateur does?

Oh BTW, I am a BIG LAD TOO. I have seen BIG LADS who could not hit a driver past the 220 yard mark. I have seen little skinny guys bust it 280 all day. What does size have to do with yardages?
    I stated in a previous thread that I had measured at RedTail Landing practice range which has been marked off with a GPS. That is my way of measuring, eventhough I did not take your comments personally because I don't think my yardages are out of this world.

My reply was in regards to your comments. Other people seem to have been able to post their yardage without comments about not trying to fool anyone or themselves. I just found it odd that something like that needed to be added into your yardage. It's pretty much implying that others might be trying to do what you've explained. If that's not what you intended, then so be it, but when I look at those comments, in my opinion, it's something that can be left out. I assume others who posted their yardages are honest. Does that make me gullible? I don't think so. I think it's a fact of me giving them the benefit of the doubt based on that this board is not highschool and I'm sure nobody is out to impress anyone else.

Anyway, no hard feelings, just my opinion.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Ya know, sometimes it is just better to take "the high road" and not try to read anything into posts in the forum. It can be so easy to misunderstand each other without the benefit of facial expressions, tone of voice, body language etc... when reading a text post in a forum like this.

You guys know what I mean eh? Neither of you seem like you are hard to get along with, write it off as a silly misconstruance of intention.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    Ya know, sometimes it is just better to take "the high road" and not try to read anything into posts in the forum. It can be so easy to misunderstand each other without the benefit of facial expressions, tone of voice, body language etc... when reading a text post in a forum like this.

You guys know what I mean eh? Neither of you seem like you are hard to get along with, write it off as a silly misconstruance of intention.
    I agree. Like I said, no hard feelings it was just something that was bothering me.

On that note, most of the time when I am being sarcastic I'll use a or .

Thank God for smilies or everyone would want to kill each other.

Sigh.... it is a mystery to me why my distances are so short, nice easy swing, maybe not enough follow through, but at least I am fairly consistent making club selection easier.

LW < 60 yds
    PW < 100 yds
    9i - 95-110 yds
    8i - 110-125 yds
    7i - 125-140 yds
    6i - 140-160 yds
    5i - lost ??
    4i - 160-180
    3i - 170-190 broken now
    9W - 150-170 yds
    7W - 170-190 yds
    5W - 190-210
    3W - 200-265 (cranked a few good ones - avg 220-230)
    1W - 220-300 (with roll, LOL - avg 230-250)
    Putter - up to 150 yds it is fun, try it some time, hehehe.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Sigh.... it is a mystery to me why my distances are so short, nice easy swing, maybe not enough follow through, but at least I am fairly consistent making club selection easier.

LW < 60 yds
    PW < 100 yds
    9i - 95-110 yds
    8i - 110-125 yds
    7i - 125-140 yds
    6i - 140-160 yds
    5i - lost ??
    4i - 160-180
    3i - 170-190 broken now
    9W - 150-170 yds
    7W - 170-190 yds
    5W - 190-210
    3W - 200-265 (cranked a few good ones - avg 220-230)
    1W - 220-300 (with roll, LOL - avg 230-250)
    Putter - up to 150 yds it is fun, try it some time, hehehe.

HAHA! Good thing you lost your 5-iron or you'd be over your club limit.

I know, I was at 17 clubs starting the year, lost 1, broke one, pulled out a few. I have another in the bag as well, 5W small compact metal head for fairways shots, my main one is for the tee only because the head it too large for fairway play. I am probably going to dump the 7W in favor of a utility club.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

The only thing that does not malke sense to me when I read other people yardages is the spread. Assuming that a very strong or very athletic golfer amateur golfer can average(average is a big word here as it is not your once in a blue moon perfect drive) 300+ yards carry with a full swing that woud transcend into a 100 yards 60 degree wedge. Those numbers make sense to me with a full swing with both clubs. I have a hard time with the 300 yard driver who hits his irons the same distance as me. Unless that particular golfer has one swing for the driver and another swing for the rest of the clubs.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    The only thing that does not malke sense to me when I read other people yardages is the spread. Assuming that a very strong or very athletic golfer amateur golfer can average(average is a big word here as it is not your once in a blue moon perfect drive) 300+ yards carry with a full swing that woud transcend into a 100 yards 60 degree wedge. Those numbers make sense to me with a full swing with both clubs. I have a hard time with the 300 yard driver who hits his irons the same distance as me. Unless that particular golfer has one swing for the driver and another swing for the rest of the clubs.
    Yeah...I hit my 60 degree between 90 to 100, but I'm not always over 300 yards with my drives. It does make sense what you said though. Someone crushing it over 300 yards should be able to hit a 60 degree 100 yards without a problem.

I think it is hard to measure with great accuracy given the yardage differences from moving tees back and forward coupled with some already less than accurate measurements of some holes, and pin locations on large greens. Wind, rain, cold, so many things can factor in. Elevated tees, severe doglegs, it is endless.

I saw Fred Couples hitting a 4i from 160 yds yesterday in a match again Greg Norman.

[/COLOR]Kevin

I think it is hard to measure with great accuracy given the yardage differences from moving tees back and forward coupled with some already less than accurate measurements of some holes, and pin locations on large greens. Wind, rain, cold, so many things can factor in. Elevated tees, severe doglegs, it is endless.

I saw Fred Couples hitting a 4i from 160 yds yesterday in a match again Greg Norman.
    I hope Norman won.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road

PW: 135-150
    51*: 85

OK I spotted it.

The more difficult question is:
    Do you have an idea what you are doing to cause the gap?

Chieflongtee may have already answered it ... in a way.
    Back at it.

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3
    OK I spotted it.

The more difficult question is:
    Do you have an idea what you are doing to cause the gap?

Chieflongtee may have already answered it ... in a way.
    Well, I do swing my driver and irons differently. On my irons I take a slow and controlled swing concentrating on the arc. Same for the wedges, but I get ridiculous height out of my Cleveland 588, which produces a nice flight but kills the distance.
    I usually let it rip on the drives. To be perfectly honest, lately I have not been taking full swings with my driver and still get 300+ carries the vast majority of the time. Just last week I hit 370 @ Stonebridge (forum members can vouch).

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    On my irons I take a slow and controlled swing concentrating on the arc. Same for the wedges, but I get ridiculous height out of my Cleveland 588, which produces a nice flight but kills the distance.
    Like I said earlier, you need to get your lofts checked. If you are in fact making the same swing with irons and wedges, i.e. you have the same angle of attack, then all that's left is loft.

There's nothing special about a 588 that should make it launch appreciably higher than any other wedge of the same loft.

Andru
    This thread is good for a laugh. I love distance threads. Call me a sceptic but I know one thing. I'm not sure how one measures. 280-300+ avg carry distances.

I know how the pros do it they have spotters and gps equipment. How do you spot a ball landing 300 yards away enough times to call it an avg? Classic I guess dreaming keeps guys in golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    This thread is good for a laugh. I love distance threads. Call me a sceptic but I know one thing. I'm not sure how one measures. 280-300+ avg carry distances.

I know how the pros do it they have spotters and gps equipment. How do you spot a ball landing 300 yards away enough times to call it an avg? Classic I guess dreaming keeps guys in golf.
    Some of us use the Sky Caddie or have used them. You should try one out. They're pretty accurate considering it's GPS. You can also have a look at sprinkler heads in the ground close to where your ball lands and use mathematics to calculate your drive.

I figured that was all common knowledge though.

Andru
    Some of us use the Sky Caddie or have used them. You should try one out. They're pretty accurate considering it's GPS. You can also have a look at sprinkler heads in the ground close to where your ball lands and use mathematics to calculate your drive.

I figured that was all common knowledge though.
    Here's some more common knowledge. Golf holes are measured along the cetner of the fariway if it bends so does the yardage. Yardage markers down the fairway ( 100 150 and 200 ) are measured the same way. Sprinkler heads are measured as the crow flys. So if the hole measures 500 with a dogleg and you hit the sprinkler head and it says 200. Doesn't mean you drove it 300. Part of the math I use includes geometry.

The sky caddie doesn't spot where your ball lands it measures it to where it ends up. So you're also including the roll. So we're not talking about carry are we?

Umm ... there are straight holes on golf courses too, some accuracy must be afforded to these markings or we would all be missing the target far more often I would think. I think people are stating the distances they find to be consistent using these same markers from one round to the next, but they are somewhat of an estimate too, hence the average of 230-250 as an example.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Andru
    Umm ... there are straight holes on golf courses too, some accuracy must be afforded to these markings or we would all be missing the target far more often I would think. I think people are stating the distances they find to be consistent using these same markers from one round to the next, but they are somewhat of an estimate too, hence the average of 230-250 as an example.
    Umm I realize this. Markers in the fairway are generally fairly accurate into the center of the green. If there's a front and rear marker on the head then even better.

That being said you can't use the sprinkler head to measure driving distance accurately by subtracting the yardage remaining from the overall length of the hole 9 times out of 10. It's incorrect.

If the hole measures 500. then that's one spot on the tee deck to the middle of the green. I've played a ton of golf and I've never, I mean never seen a tee deck that's only 1 yard deep. the smallest I've seen is 5 paces. so that can vary as well.

Also. I challenge you so show me from google earth and dead straight hole. Even the green will be slightly off angle. That can change the measurement to the middle if you're on either side of the fairway by more than 5 yards.

This was a harsh wake up call me for. Once I started playing using GPS and a range finder. I started to realize trying to calcualte Driving distance usign those markers is fultile there are too many variables.

No one has answered how they spot a 300 yard yet?

Here's some more common knowledge. Golf holes are measured along the cetner of the fariway if it bends so does the yardage. Yardage markers down the fairway ( 100 150 and 200 ) are measured the same way. Sprinkler heads are measured as the crow flys. So if the hole measures 500 with a dogleg and you hit the sprinkler head and it says 200. Doesn't mean you drove it 300. Part of the math I use includes geometry.

The sky caddie doesn't spot where your ball lands it measures it to where it ends up. So you're also including the roll. So we're not talking about carry are we?
    Most of the time, you can see approx. where you ball lands and how much roll you get. I'm pretty sure if you walk to your ball it's not going to be something like 50 yards of carry so you can see where it lands and then measure the carry, or as a general rule, subtract 10 or 15 yards if you want.

A good course will also have distance from the tee to the sprinkler head and so on. I know the ones I play have yardage books that tell you that. Same goes for the course I play that has GPS in the cart. Are you saying these are also inaccurate?

Umm I realize this. Markers in the fairway are generally fairly accurate into the center of the green. If there's a front and rear marker on the head then even better.

That being said you can't use the sprinkler head to measure driving distance accurately by subtracting the yardage remaining from the overall length of the hole 9 times out of 10. It's incorrect.

If the hole measures 500. then that's one spot on the tee deck to the middle of the green. I've played a ton of golf and I've never, I mean never seen a tee deck that's only 1 yard deep. the smallest I've seen is 5 paces. so that can vary as well.

Also. I challenge you so show me from google earth and dead straight hole. Even the green will be slightly off angle. That can change the measurement to the middle if you're on either side of the fairway by more than 5 yards.

This was a harsh wake up call me for. Once I started playing using GPS and a range finder. I started to realize trying to calcualte Driving distance usign those markers is fultile there are too many variables.

No one has answered how they spot a 300 yard yet?
    So your course or the courses you play don't have plates on the tee box to say the yardage? Usually you'll see them in the grass and then the tee box markers will be at them, behind them, or in front of them depending on the growth of the grass.

How do you spot a 300 yard drive? You can't see a landmark 300 yards away? Can you not see the ball land in reference to that landmark?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure if you walk to your ball it's not going to be something like 50 yards of carry so you can see where it lands and then measure the carry, or as a general rule, subtract 10 or 15 yards if you want.
    You are confusing carry and roll. Carry is the distance from the tee to the first point that the ball lands and roll is the subsequent distance the ball goes to its final resting point.

This doesn't clear up the argument of how to accurately measure the drive but I feel it is important to sort out this confusion.

Thread Information